Taking CeeDee Lamb the argument to take a wide receiver

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course WR is still an option at #8...as is almost every other position since we addressed most of our glaring needs in FA.

Every year there are surprises in the top 10. What if only 2 QB's go early and all we are left with a WR as pure BPA. I'm not passing on an elite prospect in any position other than QB. Every other position is on the table, and I want the cards to go with the highest rated player....not just THEIR highest rated player (because our draft history is crap)....but the consensus highest rated player left on the board. I want to get a superstar, but I would be ok with a guy that is an above average NFL starter for 10 years. If we take the consensus highest rated player I think we minimize the chance of a bust.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
The idea isnt that crazy. If the FO thinks he is the cant miss player you draft him.

Reality is, Hopkins is the only proven long term wr on the team. We all still love fitz and want to keep him here as long as he wants but is that 1, 2 or 3 more years?
Kirk has been ok. Hopefully this year he turns the corner and becomes dominant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I think OP has a good point about turning a unit into a team defining strength. That is the case for debate in selecting Lamb.

Look, I'd love to add to the offense and defensive line, especially D. However, to post hysterically thats selecting a WR makes no sense because we added Nuk is a bit premature.

We aren't filling all our holes on the roster this season. It's going to take multiple years. I'm not rallying against those who don't want a WR, because anyone can make a legitimate point that we need to fill X hole first.

Again, I think OP makes a good point. Turn a unit into a strength, especially one which would have major ramifications when overlayed with Murray at QB.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think OP has a good point about turning a unit into a team defining strength. That is the case for debate in selecting Lamb.

Look, I'd love to add to the offense and defensive line, especially D. However, to post hysterically that selecting a WR makes no sense because we added Nuk is a bit premature.

We aren't filling all our holes on the roster this season. It's going to take multiple years. I'm not rallying against those who don't want a WR, because anyone can make a legitimate point that we need to fill X hole first.

Again, I think OP makes a good point. Turn a unit into a strength, especially one which would have major ramifications when overlayed with Murray at QB.

Good stuff!

BIM: railing against

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Look, I'd love to add to the offense and defensive line, especially D. However, to post hysterically thats selecting a WR makes no sense because we added Nuk is a bit premature.

It already is a team defining strength right now. It's literally the best room on the roster from the moment we traded for Nuk.

Drafting another WR is the equivalent of just doing arms at the Gym. You might have some guns, but the rest of you looks like crap.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It already is a team defining strength right now. It's literally the best room on the roster from the moment we traded for Nuk.

Drafting another WR is the equivalent of just doing arms at the Gym. You might have some guns, but the rest of you looks like crap.
Fascinating analogy! It would also apply to education. You just get a minimal general knowledge the first two years then waste the last two focusing on just your major. The theory being that you become so excellent at one discipline you can make a good living. In NFL terms your offense would be so dominant that you would sustain drives and keep the defense rested. The other teams offense would have their play selection truncated as they’d typically be playing catch up.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"They just put two guys out on each flank with one going deep and the other running a slant and wherever the safety on that side of the field went they threw to the other guy. The other teams never could match up and you started seeing 6-7 yard slants turned into 60-70 yard TDs on a regular basis as even in the games they lost, the Tide was putting up 40-plus points and likely would have at least made the CFP playoffs if Tua Tagovailoa hadn’t been injured."

Which is why Tua may be "over rated". He will not see that in the NFL.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The thing I'm having a tough time with (assuming they draft a WR) is are they defining a strength or is Lamb redundant?

I'm just not quite sure. Lamb's improvement and work ethic makes you'll believe he'll figure it out without a speed threat opposite him. However, he's not the Fitzgerald level prospect where you take him no matter what. Seems like back in January they loved Jeudy over Lamb. Now there seems to be a belief that Ruggs may be the 1st wr taken.

I truly dont know who is the best fit for this offense. If we traded for OBJ I'd say Lamb easily. However, with Hopkins he needs freedom and space as well.

As I said before though I remember debating with someone who felt if the Cards went WR in 04 that Roy Williams was a better fit next to Anquan....yea lol.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The thing I'm having a tough time with (assuming they draft a WR) is are they defining a strength or is Lamb redundant?

As I said before though I remember debating with someone who felt if the Cards went WR in 04 that Roy Williams was a better fit next to Anquan....yea lol.

You weren’t debating it with me. Here’s something I posted in 2003, “I got something of a reputation for spotting what I liked to call underlays. Pete Rose can define that for you, but Boldin is the perfect example. I had him the third best in the country, while others had him far lower.”

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You don't draft to stop another team. That would be some of the dumbest draft strategy ever. If we drafted with that philosophy we would have taken Bosa instead of Murray. Bosa will inflict much more hurt on us than 60 yards from CeeDee.

I do not believe in drafting a guy just to thwart a rival that much. I only stated where he probably is going which is actually kinda funny that the Cardinals will be affected by him whether they draft him or not, as well as Cardinal fans still being privy to a closer view of him. I think it would be a nice move towards the future, though I would still like a OT if a guy like Okudah does not slip to us... because as I stated I do not think Lamb is a generational talent or rather does not trump a guy like Okudah or Simmons if they are there :)

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

I don't think anyone is mistaking our WR unit for top 5, probably the back end of the top 10. So saying our WR is already a team defining strength is true, but that isn't exactly getting to the OP point.

The point is making it so strong it can single handedly win is games. Obviously, Nuk alone puts us in that realm. Potentially added another quality WR to the bunch, who also fits the offense, gets to the OP point.

An overwhelming unit to rely upon and one that multiplies Murray's potential towards realization.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Need someone to make up the targets healthy David Johnson got. Hopkins is our #1, need a #2. Lamb is a lock to produce in that capacity. Kirk is a fine #3 for now and Larry will finish strong, I hope.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is mistaking our WR unit for top 5, probably the back end of the top 10. So saying our WR is already a team defining strength is true, but that isn't exactly getting to the OP point.

The point is making it so strong it can single handedly win is games. Obviously, Nuk alone puts us in that realm. Potentially added another quality WR to the bunch, who also fits the offense, gets to the OP point.

An overwhelming unit to rely upon and one that multiplies Murray's potential towards realization.
Our WR unit is easily top five. Go ahead and name five better.

The easy argument against taking another WR at 8 is that Kyler Murray was a top 5 pressured QB, and our defense was 32nd. Putting a Lamb/Ruggs on the field for 30-50% of snaps (let's be honest, at best), means we're fine with asking Kyler to run away and bring his WRs back to the ball, ruining any real play design.

God forbid the kid has an off game, or our defense lets the other team right back into it, like 3/5 wins last year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Need someone to make up the targets healthy David Johnson got. Hopkins is our #1, need a #2. Lamb is a lock to produce in that capacity. Kirk is a fine #3 for now and Larry will finish strong, I hope.
You really believe Fitz is going to end up as the #4 receiver on this team? He's still the face of the franchise.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You really believe Fitz is going to end up as the #4 receiver on this team? He's still the face of the franchise.

Yes, providing Kirk improves...which I'm not completely convinced

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes, providing Kirk improves...which I'm not completely convinced
But the guy who has never taken an NFL snap is a sure thing over our HOF WR, who still catches everything thrown at him?

I can't envision a world where Larry Fitzgerald takes on a number four role on this team.

I know we had a thread asking people not to use the words "crazy" or whatever, but in what world is it not crazy that the most meaningful player in franchise history, and last year's leading WR, makes $11 million to be the 4th WR?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But the guy who has never taken an NFL snap is a sure thing over our HOF WR, who still catches everything thrown at him?

I can't envision a world where Larry Fitzgerald takes on a number four role on this team.

I know we had a thread asking people not to use the words "crazy" or whatever, but in what world is it not crazy that the most meaningful player in franchise history, and last year's leading WR, makes $11 million to be the 4th WR?

A playoff team?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Our WR unit is easily top five. Go ahead and name five better.

The easy argument against taking another WR at 8 is that Kyler Murray was a top 5 pressured QB, and our defense was 32nd. Putting a Lamb/Ruggs on the field for 30-50% of snaps (let's be honest, at best), means we're fine with asking Kyler to run away and bring his WRs back to the ball, ruining any real play design.

God forbid the kid has an off game, or our defense lets the other team right back into it, like 3/5 wins last year.

Yeah I suppose WR units alone, probably 5-7. Entire pass catching groups.... Back end top 10.

As far as WR units you can make the case for these ahead of the Cardinals.

Saints, Rams, Bucs, Chiefs, Browns.

Regarding taking an OT at 8, I'm certainly not opposed to that. Again, I'm reacting to the OPs theory of stacking a position group to be overwhelming strong, and hopefully team defining (Dallas OL, 49ers DLine, Chiefs pass catchers, ECT.).

It's more of an outside the box thought experiment instead of every thread being the same thing.

Id love to ramp up our DLine, or finally pick up a franchise player across the Oline. This is just another team building theoretical experiment, which I do think makes a lot of sense. Problem being, you need to hit on that WR at 8.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A playoff team?
Give me a playoff team paying their 4th wideout $11 million. Otherwise, it's wishful thinking.

Yeah I suppose WR units alone, probably 5-7. Entire pass catching groups.... Back end top 10.

As far as WR units you can make the case for these ahead of the Cardinals.

Saints, Rams, Bucs, Chiefs, Browns.

Regarding taking an OT at 8, I'm certainly not opposed to that. Again, I'm reacting to the OPs theory of stacking a position group to be overwhelming strong, and hopefully team defining (Dallas OL, 49ers DLine, Chiefs pass catchers, ECT.).

It's more of an outside the box thought experiment instead of every thread being the same thing.

Id love to ramp up our DLine, or finally pick up a franchise player across the Oline. This is just another team building theoretical experiment, which I do think makes a lot of sense. Problem being, you need to hit on that WR at 8.
Wow, the Saints? Really? Michael Thomas is great, but he has an all-time player throwing to him, and Emmanuel Sanders has barely broken 1,000 yards once in four years. And the Chiefs? Not a single 1,000 yard wide receiver, just the best modern QB in the league throwing the rock.

The Bucs, Rams, and Browns are the only ones with stronger WR corps (arguable on the Browns), and outside of the Rams, it hasn't amounted to anything.

Didn't we draft a supposed elite QB at #1 overall? Shouldn't he be able to make something out of a WR corps that has a top four completely comprised of 1st & 2nd round picks?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Give me a playoff team paying their 4th wideout $11 million. Otherwise, it's wishful thinking.

Wow, the Saints? Really? Michael Thomas is great, but he has an all-time player throwing to him, and Emmanuel Sanders has barely broken 1,000 yards once in four years. And the Chiefs? Not a single 1,000 yard wide receiver, just the best modern QB in the league throwing the rock.

The Bucs, Rams, and Browns are the only ones with stronger WR corps (arguable on the Browns), and outside of the Rams, it hasn't amounted to anything.

Didn't we draft a supposed elite QB at #1 overall? Shouldn't he be able to make something out of a WR corps that has a top four completely comprised of 1st & 2nd round picks?

Definitely not a playoff team with Fitz as #2 WR. What does Kyler have to do with YAC? The whole point of bringing Kingsbury here was to build an elite offense. We need skill players for that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson