Wills vs Wirfs

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Brown, Lamb, or OT will be our choice.
Herbert will jump up, leaving Derrick Brown for us as an option.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Young, Okudah, Simmons and prob Wirfs gone.

Brown, Lamb, or Wills? An embarrassment of riches to choose from.
I want Brown or Wills... Period

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why do some people not like Wills again? I just don't see it. He seems to be a very smart player which is important for an Oline.. I don't want potential I want a solid Olineman and I think Wills would be that. I think the other guys could fail. We've almost never had a really solid Olinemen.. I think either Wills, Brown, or Simmons, if they are all gone I would maybe then go WR..

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If I want a potential LT for the future I take Thomas. If I want a long term RT, I take Wills. If I want a pro bowl guard I take Wirfs. If I thought we have an elite roster and I can afford to roll the dice on potential, I take Becton... but I actually lean to Wirfs due to the stature of our QB

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I want a potential LT for the future I take Thomas. If I want a long term RT, I take Wills. If I want a pro bowl guard I take Wirfs. If I thought we have an elite roster and I can afford to roll the dice on potential, I take Becton... but I actually lean to Wirfs due to the stature of our QB
I like this breakdown.

After reading all the input these players this is what I have taken out of it also.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Iowa O-line coach on Jets potential draft target Tristan Wirfs: 'He's such a superior athlete'
Draft analyst Jordan Reid: 'He's going to measure off the charts'
By Scott Thompson | Feb 3 | 1:11PM

If Douglas is locked in on Wirfs, Iowa's offensive line coach Tim Polasek thinks the Jets would be getting a "superior athlete" at the position.

"He's such a superior athlete and I don't think we should take that word lightly," Polasek, who has been coaching the Hawkeyes' O-line since 2017, told SNY. "This kid is athletic. He's got world-class power and snap. Explosiveness. I'm not sure what an Olympic lifter looks like, but I gotta believe it looks like Tristan Wirfs."

"He's a kid that's still, weight room-wise, in running and speed and conditioning continues to [hit personal bests]," Polasek said. "He's a fairly young player with a really bright future. I think his confidence level -- it should be -- is at an all-time high."

But there is one thing that could hurt him: arm length.

"He's going to measure off the charts," Reid, who had Wirfs as his top offensive tackle heading into the 2019 season, told SNY. "Every year you talk about arm length, it's just a prerequisite. 33 inches is the baseline for what teams look for, and it might keep him from maybe being a tackle."

"In pass-protection, he's so efficient and his feet are so good it almost looks effortless," Polasek explained. "I'm really excited to see him go against a skilled pass rusher where a guy has got the combination of speed and power.

Wirfs has predominately played right tackle in his college career, but Polasek doesn't think teams looking for a left tackle should steer clear. Wirfs made a smooth transition to the left side when LT Alaric Jackson got hurt this season.

"He did it this year. Our left tackle was out four or five games, so he was going back and forth within a game," Polasek said.

"His conceptual understanding of football and being able to present that or answer questions or diagram and getting into drawing things on the board, he'll do just fine," he said. "And I still think there's room for growth, but he's a capable learner. He's into football, he's really into the detail of technique and the individual warfare or battle with a rusher. He really enjoys that."

"He's an unbelievable teammate. He's kind of a chameleon," Polasek said. "He's a small-town Iowa kid. So that doesn't always match up with how he looks. He's very respectful with his teammates and he's very caring as far as helpful with the guys. If they have issues or need something, he's always open to being a good teammate."

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
IOWA HAWKEYES FOOTBALL
Iowa Football 2019 Position Previews: Offensive Line
Can the big uglies be bigger and uglier?

By BenjaminRoss@renboss23 Jul 30, 2019, 7:01am CDT

Here’s the thing about Iowa football. Everyone knows it’s O Line U. But not since Brandon Scherff in 2015 has Iowa had an offensive lineman go in the first round of the NFL Draft (Iowa has had 22 first round NFL draft picks, that’s kinda neat).

The sun will rise again on OLU.

Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson will likely bring back another lineman to the first round. If not this year as underclassmen, but next year as seniors.

The aforementioned are in charge of protecting Nathan Stanley. And they do a pretty good job. So let’s start with them.

The Bookends
First, we’ll talk about Alaric Jackson. He’s got 24 starts under his belt and he’s a reigning consensus all-conference runner-up at tackle. He’s 6-6, 320 lbs of nasty and he’s in charge of protecting Nate Stanley’s blindside. He’s got the money position for an o-lineman.

The craziest part about Alaric Jackson is the fact he didn’t play football until he was a junior in high school, leading to some growing pains:

He was rated the best pass-blocker in the conference last season by Pro Football Focus, and since he’s been going up against AJ Epenesa everyday, I bet we’ll see an even better version of Jackson in 2019.

Jackson can do more than his fair share of run-blocking, and really, I think this is going to be a special year for the guy. I wanna see Iowa’s offense click, and if Nate Stanley can sleep easy on Friday’s knowing Alaric Jackson has his back, then we’re all butter.

We’ll get to No. 3 on that above list in minute.

Actually, let’s just do it now.

There are many who think Tristan Wirfs has progressed into the more talented tackle on this team. There were even whispers he and Jackson were to switch sides this season to reflect this development. The first sentence is moot and the second is pointless.

Wirfs and Jackson are both excellent. I’m not prepared to say one is better than the other, because we’re all on the same team, man.

Wirfs has 20 starts to his name, was an honorable mention as a conference player a year ago (he didn’t allow a single sack at all in 2018) and did this thing in the weight room recently:

Wirfs is a Draftnik Darling, and at 6-5, 322 lbs, a force to be reckoned with. You know he’s getting reps against AJ Epenesa errday too. Iron sharpens iron and this offensive line is going to be looking like a block of Yoshihiro’s come September.

Look, I’ve already done your homework for you: Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson are pretty friggin’ special, and I think we’d be hard pressed to find a better tackle tandem in the country.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Becton is such a bullying monster, but he doesn't have a quarter of Wills' technique or skill.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

nope no thank you. Elite athlete but I don’t even want people questioning your drive or your mean streak if I’m taking you to play o-line

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Keim truly loves flexibility, I don't know that it's totally worked out for him.

I just want an elite guy, at the end of the day. No job on the OL is really safe, besides maybe DJ.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

If I want a LT, I take Wills.