Let’s Talk About Lamb

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Let me just say. If I am adding a WR in round 1...it is Ruggs. That type of speed complements Hopkins, Fitz, Drake, and Kirk very well and it changes how defenses scheme us.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trying to make a point by picking out the few outliers doesn't work.

The Fitz/Boldin Cards or Holt/Bruce Rams situations are extremely rare.

I've just pointed out that the 3 WR's we have are capable of giving us league leading receiving yards and your argument is "yeah but we could be the 2000 Rams"?

WR as a designation is kind of meaningless. It’s more about having multiple elite pass catchers on the field.

Gronk/Moss
Kamara/Thomas
Gronk/Edelman
Hill/Kelce

etc etc etc etc etc

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WR as a designation is kind of meaningless. It’s more about having multiple elite pass catchers on the field.

Gronk/Moss
Kamara/Thomas
Gronk/Edelman
Hill/Kelce

etc etc etc etc etc

Yeah and we have that. When you have a trio capable of delivering 2800+ receiving yards you don't need anyone else.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Gronk/Moss
Kamara/Thomas
Gronk/Edelman
Hill/Kelce

etc etc etc etc etc
I used to love the Posse. Monk/Clark/Sanders

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A Tyreek level WR changes everything about how we can attack a defense. But damn man..... we need a RT because we cannot count on Gilbert.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah and we have that. When you have a trio capable of delivering 2800+ receiving yards you don't need anyone else.

I’m not placing as much faith in Kirk and Fitz as you are. One is injured often and will disappear for a month, the other has to get old someday (soon).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not placing as much faith in Kirk and Fitz as you are. One is injured often and will disappear for a month, the other has to get old someday (soon).

Stats aren't faith. Granted Kirk missing a few games is an issue but on the other hand he's also had to learn 2 very different systems in 2 years.

But we have 3 other promising young WRs to pick up the slack.

There's certainly not as issue big enough it needs plugging with our #8 pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stats aren't faith. Granted Kirk missing a few games is an issue but on the other hand he's also had to learn 2 very different systems in 2 years.

But we have 3 other promising young WRs to pick up the slack.

There's certainly not as issue big enough it needs plugging with our #8 pick.

Promising?

What we know about our 2nd rd pick is that he's fast.

Our 4th rd pick couldn't make the final 53.

And our 6th rd gem was eventually benched.

Yup! no issue of concern here.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I knew that would be the response. Brown was the center of the passing game as the most experienced. Brown was a year ahead. Lamb caught the most TDs and blew away Brown’s YAC in 2019, the result of his offseason strength building. Lamb was clearly the receiver with the most upside. Murray’s opinion is the one that counts, but I’d still take Simmons first if he’s there.

Simmons, Brown, or trade down.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine if you had a HOF guy with the best hands in the league who "all he does is catch touchdowns" and your number 2 receiver just caught 1100 yards.

Why on EARTH would you take a receiver in the first round, even at #21?

What a dumb use of resources.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoiler above, want to guess where that offense was ranked after that situation occurred?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder do we have a perennial All-Pro(HOFer now) & 2 Pro Bowlers like that team did.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Really?

Here are the wide receiver groups ranked best in the league last year

Falcons: Jones, Ridley, Sanu - 1394, 866, 520 - total 2780
Browns: OBJ, Landry, Ratley - 1035, 1174, 200 - total 2409
Rams: Cooks, Woods, Kupp - 583, 1134, 1161 - total 2878
Texans: Hopkins, Fuller, Stills - 1165, 974*, 561 - total 2673
Vikings: Theilen, Diggs, Johnson - 669*, 1130, 294 - total 2093

* - Short season extrapolated to full 16 games

The bottom 5 were Niners, Seahawks, Giants, Ravens, Redskins.

Only 1 of the top 5 teams made the playoffs. 3 of the bottom 5 made it.

By comparison lets see what our current 3 receivers would look based on their 2019 stats

Cardinals: Hopkins, Fitz, Kirk - 1165, 804, 872* - total 2841

That would make them the 2nd best trio in the league.

So why exactly do we need to waste our top pick on another WR?
Appreciate the work you put into this and I would certainly agree that the receiver core as currently constructed would be a good core (at least for this next season).

What I will say is that this doesn't account for the likelihood that we don't get a full season out of Kirk and for the possibility of this being Fitz's last year.

Also the projected numbers for the cardinals don't take into account the fact that Kirk/Fitz will no longer be the the top targeted receiver so their yards will go down. I suspect the numbers had they all played together last year would have been something like 1100, 800, 600 for those 3.

Lamb (IMO) would be an immediate upgrade over Kirk and maybe even potentially over Fitz and would be a big play guy that would be able to have big production with the 2nd or 3rd most targets on the team. Fitz at his current age and Kirk thus far in his career are not guys that are going to give you big numbers on like 60-70 receptions.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No way Fitz and Kirk would have kept those same yardage numbers with the smaller amount of targets they would have gotten next to Hopkins.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
  • They ran 376 plays with three receivers on the field. They ran 326 with four receivers.
  • Their most common personnel was “11” personnel, with one back, one tight end and three receivers. They ran 346 plays that way.
  • They ran “10” personnel 317 times, their next most common personnel grouping on offense. The other nine plays with four wideouts were with no running back and a tight end with the four receivers.
  • They ran “12” personnel with one back, two receivers and two tight ends 245 times.
  • They had five receivers on the field five times.
  • They had 19 plays in “13” personnel — one back, one receiver and three tight ends.
  • They ran 50 plays with multiple running backs in the game. 47 times they had two backs and on three plays they had three running backs on the field.
  • They went without a running back at all on the field for 19 plays

When you look at how many wideouts they used this offense runs off WRs your going to see Murray teamed with Lamb, KK wants to run 4 or 5 of them our there, Cards would be completely loaded at WR and can make the Larry retirement way easier to handle, RTs arent worth an 8 pick

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imagine if you had a HOF guy with the best hands in the league who "all he does is catch touchdowns" and your number 2 receiver just caught 1100 yards.

Why on EARTH would you take a receiver in the first round, even at #21?

What a dumb use of resources.

When that happened did they have a bottom 3 defense? Did they have a bottom 3rd O line? Were they coming off 3-13 and 5-10-1 seasons?

Our WR room just became our best room, Drafting Lamb is an extreme luxury pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When that happened did they have a bottom 3 defense? Did they have a bottom 3rd O line? Were they coming off 3-13 and 5-10-1 seasons?

Our WR room just became our best room, Drafting Lamb is an extreme luxury pick.

We have a Ferrari, an ageing BMW, a wannabe Mercedes - and a car lot of Hyundai's.

A Maserati looks good to me, and it comes with a pretty cheap 5-year lease at the end of this month.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a Ferrari, an ageing BMW, a wannabe Mercedes - and a car lot of Hyundai's.

A Maserati looks good to me, and it comes with a pretty cheap 5-year lease at the end of this month.

All you need is a Ferrari, ageing BMW and wannabe Mercedes.

We have a top 5 WR room in the league.

The idea we need to add another WR with pick 8 is ludicrous when you consider almost every other position group on the roster is bottom 10 in the league. Even after FA.

You know what. Let's just draft 6 WRs. That makes about as much sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose