Cynthia Frelund's Analytics-based pick for Cards

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
But, we're looking for a RT.

We can get guards in the 3rd, 4th round.
Except for strength there is no comparison of Wirfs & Davis’ athletic abilities. Wirfs is faster and far more agile. The agility is best exemplified by Wirfs’ footwork. Davis was much better inside where he could focus on anchoring or drive blocking. IMO Wirfs stays at tackle and if needed could probably be a decent LT as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just going off PFF and how they define pass sets. They say it's because of their screen heavy passing game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Except for strength there is no comparison of Wirfs & Davis’ athletic abilities. Wirfs is faster and far more agile. The agility is best exemplified by Wirfs’ footwork. Davis was much better inside where he could focus on anchoring or drive blocking. IMO Wirfs stays at tackle and if needed could probably be a decent LT as well.
Leonard Davis was a freak of nature in regards to strength. Wirfs is freak of nature in terms of being able to move for a man his size. You are correct they are different animals and what caused Davis to move inside won't be issues for Wirfs.

There is something to be said with how much easier it is to play OT when you don't have to worry about speed AND power.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All pro OG. He "worked out". I think is also the example for Wirfs. IF he just can't play OT, he has all the makings of an elite NFL OG.
He said OT’s not OG’s. He wasn’t all-pro as an OT.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eh worse than that. It's only 73 true pass sets and he allowed 8 pressures in those.
I was at the game in Lexington against Kentucky where he gave up a few pressures & at least one sack. He's a road grader in the running game if he gets his hands on you, he just needs reps in the passing game. Louisville runs the ball a lot in Scott Satterfields system. Time will tell with Becton but his size will get him a nice contract. I'll be shocked if he lands outside the top 15.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I was at the game in Lexington against Kentucky where he gave up a few pressures & at least one sack. He's a road grader in the running game if he gets his hands on you, he just needs reps in the passing game. Louisville runs the ball a lot in Scott Satterfields system. Time will tell with Becton but his size will get him a nice contract. I'll be shocked if he lands outside the top 15.

Here is the game below. Weird last play of the game (where he gave up sack).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is the game below. Weird last play of the game (where he gave up sack).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He's on the ground a whole lot because of trying to cut block. He has the size & tools to be good, right now he's behind the others imo. I still think Andrew Thomas is the best OT.

Side note: it was miserable that day, tailgating & in the stadium. It rained so hard the whole time & never let up. I was soaked, even under my rain suit lol.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its not the pick I want the Cards to make...but its not crazy. He's going to go top 12.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to know the accuracy of these models. MAE/MSE of models based on personnel, with all of the variables that go into a season of football, has to be astronomical. You have what, 50 years of statistics for a league that is ever changing in schemes/styles......that's not nearly enough data to accurately predict anything.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's on the ground a whole lot because of trying to cut block. He has the size & tools to be good, right now he's behind the others imo. I still think Andrew Thomas is the best OT.

Side note: it was miserable that day, tailgating & in the stadium. It rained so hard the whole time & never let up. I was soaked, even under my rain suit lol.
Becton is a work in progress at best. You see him play to low, play to "soft" not working good with his hands, let smaller players navigate trouh him, let the pass rush work him up and slow to move backwards or direct the opponent outside.

As an RT in our system, he would cause at least 6-12 sacks most of them early in the year as he will probably progress, but still, if you have the Seahawks or the 49ers early, he will get eaten alive and with that your QB.

It's not like Thomas is that way and above, but ... yeah better I would say. Still I don't feel that there is a real top 10 OT in this years draft and overall, taking one at 8 would be a reach IMHO. Because they are or, RT/G and the only real LT is not good enough to be a top 10 pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose