Let's talk about Andrew Thomas

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No he's not, age & injury history are not on his side. I'm just trying to find the silver lining. Our OL would've been much better last season had he not gotten hurt? Him & Sweezy would've done fine on the right side. Here's for hoping Gilbert stays healthy & everything works out with the OL in 2020.
I admire your unwavering ability to look for the silver lining! You remind me of my dad - and I mean that in a good sense. Football or real life, I always tend to look at the dark side and prepare in advance to fix what I see coming, hah.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to go back and look, but again, I don't think I've told a single poster they're dumb, stupid, or any other kind of pejorative. I apologized if I did in another thread, but I feel like it's been misinterpreted. I'm also happy to talk this out in a PM if it'd help. I've always respected and liked you, and nowhere in the past few days has that changed. Are you confusing me with someone else?

No confusion here.

Let's move on.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I admire your unwavering ability to look for the silver lining! You remind me of my dad - and I mean that in a good sense. Football or real life, I always tend to look at the dark side and prepare in advance to fix what I see coming, hah.
I'm probably old enough to be your dad lol? I just turned 50 on New Yrs Eve.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wills looked good, Thomas looks bigger. The Lombardi dude said Wills isn't as good of a run blocker as he is a pass blocker. Opposite with Thomas. His one deficiency shown was the hands thing in pass protection, I'm sure that can be taught. He's a monster in run blocking. Although he gave up a little ground in pass protection, he never got beat. He gave up the sack in the first gap exchange but looked good on the 2nd one, blocked both guys. Thomas has been the #1 OT all along to me but can he play RT? He played RT his freshman yr at Georgia, switched to LT during his sophomore yr. Wills to the best of my knowledge has played RT the whole time at Alabama. Big decision if we go OT at #8 but overall I still like Thomas better.

The deficiencies you see in Thomas' game right now will lead to bunches of sacks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The deficiencies you see in Thomas' game right now will lead to bunches of sacks.

except they don’t. His flaws can be corrected and he doesn’t really have any big glaring flaws

You don’t dominate the SEC for your entire college career by not being good.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wills looked good, Thomas looks bigger. The Lombardi dude said Wills isn't as good of a run blocker as he is a pass blocker. Opposite with Thomas. His one deficiency shown was the hands thing in pass protection, I'm sure that can be taught. He's a monster in run blocking. Although he gave up a little ground in pass protection, he never got beat. He gave up the sack in the first gap exchange but looked good on the 2nd one, blocked both guys. Thomas has been the #1 OT all along to me but can he play RT? He played RT his freshman yr at Georgia, switched to LT during his sophomore yr. Wills to the best of my knowledge has played RT the whole time at Alabama. Big decision if we go OT at #8 but overall I still like Thomas better.

Thomas freshman all American at RT.

he’s just good

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
except they don’t. His flaws can be corrected and he doesn’t really have any big glaring flaws

You don’t dominate the SEC for your entire college career by not being good.

Nate Potter was awesome in college too.

Softball responses.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Giants have to go O-line don’t they. I mean the last two first rounders were a QB and RB. They would be insane not to

Their first option is trying to get a team to jump Miami for Tua. They would still have their pick of tackles at 6. I’m not really sure what happened to Nate Solder but protecting rookie QB’s isn’t easy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nate Potter was awesome in college too.

Softball responses.

so explain your stance are you saying because one guy was a good college player and didn’t live up to expectations all other good college guys are going to be bust as well?

because that’s just what you did.

softball AF indeed

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thomas is the best left tackle in this class and everyone is overthinking him

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I tend to agree.

Watching the video it bothered me that he turned hard inside and followed when the player in front of him slanted. That made him late getting to the rusher that was swinging wide outside around the slanting lineman.

I've watched lineman that are slow to react to those moves and it never ends well. Some players have a feel for it and some don't. His great athletic talent and strength won't help if you get sucked inside when you should be aware of your backside.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I tend to agree.

Watching the video it bothered me that he turned hard inside and followed when the player in front of him slanted. That made him late getting to the rusher that was swinging wide outside around the slanting lineman.

I've watched lineman that are slow to react to those moves and it never ends well. Some players have a feel for it and some don't. His great athletic talent and strength won't help if you get sucked inside when you should be aware of your backside.

Just my 2 cents.

IIRC - Thomas corrected it (that was the only time they beat him on that move that game)

If you don't like that aspect...you won't like Wirfs at all (see video below where Penn St exploited that over and over again).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
a LT that only gave up 2 sacks a year who’s 26 and you want more? Good luck

Yea...its not all about sacks...both good or bad. Other people play into that.

Im talking about pressures, hits, penalties, etc.

You can like or dislike PFF grades all you want, but you can't deny that DJ has never been considered even "average" using analytics. Then you factor in he played about 50% of the games in his rookie contacts.

Look, this debate has already been had, and the Cards resigned him. I'm fine with that, I'm just saying its silly to think LT is as good as its going to get and Murray is the weak link. DJ and Murray are equivalent players...and Gilbert is better than both when healthy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking a guy like Thomas would set the edges of our o-line for years to come, barring injuries. It would also be great depth if DJ was to go down.

Wirfs would do the same but he would add depth at Guard rather than tackle.

Becton May be the best of the bunch and I don’t fear he’d bust because he could move inside in a heartbeat. However, that’s a high pick to end up with a guard unless he becomes an all-pro.

Wills seems to fit more like a Thomas. He can start at RT and move to LT in an emergency.

Don’t have a clue if my opinion is right, but it’s the conclusion I come to after reading all of your opinions.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A corpse who has played how many games over the past three seasons and is like 48 years old?

:lmao:

52, actually, with Type2 diabetes, a heart condition and bad knees.

If he survives COVID-19 - I still say, he starts ahead of the barely toilet trained!

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Taking a guy like Thomas would set the edges of our o-line for years to come, barring injuries. It would also be great depth if DJ was to go down.

Wirfs would do the same but he would add depth at Guard rather than tackle.

Becton May be the best of the bunch and I don’t fear he’d bust because he could move inside in a heartbeat. However, that’s a high pick to end up with a guard unless he becomes an all-pro.

Wills seems to fit more like a Thomas. He can start at RT and move to LT in an emergency.

Don’t have a clue if my opinion is right, but it’s the conclusion I come to after reading all of your opinions.

We did the "guard" in the first round thing in the past and it didn't turn out well.

If part of the evaluation of these guys includes, "can move inside" (a red flag) - let's draft guys that have actual experience in the interior.

There are more than a few likely available in the 3rd and 4th rds.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right - and given that it's a redshift year, we can use one or more of our 3rd and 4th picks on O-lineman to be coached up.

You don't redshirt top 10 linemen. Or 1st round linemen come to think of it. The last 1st rounder I can find that sat out a year was....DJ Humphries.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Traditional - non-traditional elite?

Sorry... that's bafflegab!

We don't need stars on the O-line - we need a unit of 5 who communicate effectively and do their jobs.

KC and SF had precisely one ALL-Pro (Schwartz) and he was the 2nd team RT.

You realise that All Pro is like the top 3% in the league right? You worded this as if it's All Pro then everyone else is equal.

Tyron Smith wasn't All Pro this year.

What you need is "a unit of 5 who communicate effectively and do their jobs. Who also have talent and don't spend half their careers on IR".

If you just needed any old bunch of 5 on the O line that knew what each other were doing then teams wouldn't be paying tackles $18m a year.

The "do your jobs" part of your very basic explanation requires you to have sufficient talent to stop the best pass rushers. Which, you know, requires drafting good players. Not some guy thats been on 6 teams in 4 years and another thats played 12 games in 3 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr