Cynthia Frelund's Analytics-based pick for Cards

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
AZ pick 8

Mekhi Becton - OT
School: Louisville | Year: Junior

Adding DeAndre Hopkins and then drafting Becton increases the Cardinals' win-total projection by more than two Ws in my model. That's a really big jump. Becton's athleticism fits the projected pace of play in this Kliff Kingsbury/ Kyler Murray system very well.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Id be ok with the pick depending on who we passed on. I think Bechton is the 2nd best OT behind Wills...who could go as early as #4.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM and KK growing are worth a win or two.
Adding Philips, Kennard, Campbell, Allen and Alford and are worth a couple wins in just shoring up our D.
Adding Hopkins and a punishing RT are worth two more.

If healthy, we could push for the playoffs this year and make a serious run next year.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM and KK growing are worth a win or two.
Adding Philips, Kennard, Campbell, Allen and Alford and are worth a couple wins in just shoring up our D.
Adding Hopkins and a punishing RT are worth two more.

If healthy, we could push for the playoffs this year and make a serious run next year.
Exactly. We were our defensive short comings away from winning 4-5 more games in 2019. This team will be in the hunt for a wild card in 2020. Yes I'm being optimistic but I see no reason not to be lol.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's analytical projections everyone, it's not an exact science. If the guys we added in FA don't live up to their potential or get hurt we could very well lose a game more or two. I like the idea of upgrading the OL in draft since we really didn't do anything in FA to improve it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Time and again I read this guy has the highest ceiling of the OT's. Not sure how to feel about that. I am becoming more convinced we are going OT in first round. Not sure waiting till the third to make a pick for the D is the right thing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Time and again I read this guy has the highest ceiling of the OT's. Not sure how to feel about that. I am becoming more convinced we are going OT in first round. Not sure waiting till the third to make a pick for the D is the right thing.

Massive OTs just tend to work out.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did Levi Brown under-perform in relation to his draft position...yes. But he was far from a bust. 79 games started at a premium position. Two playoff runs.
I think it’s a bigger blow to these guys that we missed out of HOFer AP.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Did Levi Brown under-perform in relation to his draft position...yes. But he was far from a bust. 79 games started at a premium position. Two playoff runs.

You don't get the nickname Human Turnstile for nothing.

We had to play him.

This proved to be very true when Brown hit the field for the Cardinals—he was a turnstile from the word go, and things didn’t get much better. He allowed eight sacks in his rookie season, 11 in his second, nine in his third, 10 in his fourth… you get the picture.

https://steelersdepot.com/2013/10/a-look-at-the-four-sacks-allowed-this-year-by-t-levi-brown/

https://arizonasports.com/story/269...he-worst-player-in-arizona-cardinals-history/

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Leonard Davis

Davis could physically handle the LT position, he would literally destroy pass rushers (and then get a BS holding call), the mental part of the game is what killed him--the jumping offsides was his biggest issue that he never seemed to fix until he moved inside. In my mind Davis was a good OT but a dominant OG yet people act like he was a failure at OT.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Becton was only in 75 true pass sets last year (if I remember correctly). By far the least of any of the tackles. He was AWFUL in 2018 and made a giant leap in 2019.

He represents massive upside and massive risk. If you draft him it's to sit him and teach him for a year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Eh worse than that. It's only 73 true pass sets and he allowed 8 pressures in those.

I would like to see those 8 pressures.

I am not defending it because I don't know but think about this...

His team in 2019 was run heavy as you say above. When do you think they were passing in true pass sets (only 73)? Obvious 3rd and long situations when the defense could pin their ears back?

I have watched a lot of tape on Becton and haven't seen him be a liability in any game.

Crazy thing...they had Becton flip flopping LT and RT in the same game many times. Who does that?