THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, this was karma coming back to bite Newcastle in the ass. I won't blame Bruce for this one. He set them up well, the team attacked, and snagged the lead. And it wasn't a matter of not trying, either. Lack of composure really hit the team, and getting several undeserved wins way against the grain of play ended up turning into one of those "can't do anything right" type of heavy losses. It happens when you're not a good team. Can't blame Bruce here. He must pick them up, dust them off, and have them ready for a few tricky fixtures coming up. Still within 4 wins of safety, which is the only real goal this season...again.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yep, mm hm. I hate being right. Effing idiot Steve Bruce REALLY set the team up for failure. He features MUTO, of all people, under the guise of rotation, in reality trying to "feature" him to sell in the January window. If you want to rotate, you don't start Lejeune again, forcing him to play so many games in the matter of a week after JUST coming back from injury. Two huge mistakes from him to gift two goals--from a player who SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING. Manquillo is struggling with injury, which came from the coach's own mouth--so why didn't he get more of a rest instead of being ROTATED in? Poof, injury replacement. The coach says Schar is struggling with injury, and he's played multiple games in the space of a week. Rotation? Haha, don't be silly! Whoopsie, after 3 subs, Schar is injured, so they play the WHOLE 2nd half with 10 men! Bwahahaha!

Nothing could be done about Shelvey's injury. No blame there. Willems? He's gotten some off time, so the injury is unfortunate. But damn, was that a team set up for absolute and abject failure. Guess what? THEY FAILED! Now, Newcastle are in the midst of an injury crisis. In the face of that, perhaps COACH and CHANGE TACTICS and FORMATION. Or at least promote some younger players into the lineup as cover--Watts was ready. Nah, let's just throw the injured players into the meat grinder again LOLOLOL Oh, you have to laugh at Bruce's idiocy, or you'll cry.

Newcastle got where they are in the table with against the run of play smash and grab wins over terrible teams they should have been beating--or at least playing well against--anyway. Unfortunately, Bruce's lack of ideas and lack of nous is coming home to roost.

And don't even get me started on Joelinton. a 40 million center forward 1-on-1 with the keeper? Nah, why should I expect him to actually score there. Wide open shot in the opponent's box? Why should I expect him to do anything but scuff the shot? What a fecking waste. All this "Bruce is the best" bullcrap from the media, how much "better" he is than Benitez. Well, Benitez didn't want Joelinton, but he did want money to spend to make the team better. With Miggie, whom Benitez fought for and got at the twilight of his spell in charge, he at least gives you other aspects to his game. Joelinton? Hold up play? Kicks or heads it out of bounds or right to the other team, almost every single time. Can't score to save his life. Plays a bit better as a wide man, but doesn't have the pace or tricks to make it truly effective. We'd be lucky to sell him for 10 million.

I guess I got myself started on Joelinton lol Okay, rant over. For now.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
freaking figures. Only surprise is that Newcastle didn't lose it. freaking Bruce, man. What a moron.

What do you do when you positively dominate the first half and are winning? Why, pull back and become passive, OF COURSE!!! What do you do when they bring on a big man and hoof it forward? Why, stick with the same tactics, OF COURSE!!! What do you do when that 40mill waste of space Joelinton starts to whine, stops trying, and abjectly gives up? Why, hang onto our last sub and refuse to yank him to give one of the kids a chance, OF COURSE!!! At least a youngster would be TRYING.

They could have put 3 or 4 up on Newcastle, and definitely should have won. I guess I should be happy they at least managed a replay without crashing out...again.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I'll take that point all day long, especially with Bruce mismanaging injuries...again. He's baffled at how we can have so many injuries? Back room same as Rafa, the Christmas schedule is the same as the rest of the league....the only difference then is YOU, you moron. STOP SELECTING INJURED PLAYERS!!!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Finally a complete positive game, though I didn't get to see it. And home to Oxford in the next round. Getting to the 5th round is actually doable this year!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I saw it as a Chelsea fan. Disappointing way to drop one and shows the problems with that young team.

Nice to see Newcastle up and fairly secure though. Hopefully they can continue to find something me backing and stability as they are in of the teams that just feel right in the premiership

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Very strange comeback draw yesterday. I mean, I'll take it because Newcastle played like caca-poo poo...AGAIN...before the miracle minute and a half. Funny enough, I was at a training and knocked over my chair at the end of training. It had been 2-0 in the 88th minute, so I figured it was over. Right as I'm getting up at the end (almost everyone else was already gone), I checked the score in the 96th minute lol. What a bicycle kick by Lejeune!

I saw it as a Chelsea fan. Disappointing way to drop one and shows the problems with that young team.

Nice to see Newcastle up and fairly secure though. Hopefully they can continue to find something me backing and stability as they are in of the teams that just feel right in the premiership

Thanks! Another game Newcastle deserved nothing out of but managed a smash-and-grab. All too many of those this season. Sure, it's great, the points total thus far, but it isn't sustainable. Play like this next season, and they'll go down for sure.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
And that was an absolute effing disgrace. Bruce has NO idea how to set an offensive team up. NONE. All that possession, and it was constantly looking forward but passing back, looking forward but passing back. Shoulders shrugged and arms raised like "what can ya do?" PLAY OFFENSIVE SOCCER, THAT'S WHAT! Well, hard to do when you have a clueless Muppet for a coach. Yet another replay with yet another minnow in the midst of an injury crisis. Effing hell, man, effing hell.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another transfer window, another "takeover" happening. Jabba the Ashley must take everyone for idiots. Well, the media is, but we knew that already.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Damn near choked it away against a weakened Oxford team. Sean Longstaff of all players ended up playing in the number 9 role. But, sure, there were NO strikers in the market that could have made the team better and helped score goals. I'm sorry, let me amend that...no strikers TO BE HAD ON THE CHEAP.

Anyway, it's great to get through, and there's a winnable game away to West Brom in the next round. Good times.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Newcastle got beat by a pretty mediocre Arsenal team. Surprised that it was such a beat down.

Sadly, I'm not. Newcastle are a shambles of a club, an absolute disgrace. We have a disgrace of an owner and a completely crap coach. The national media over there all want to be buddy-buddy with Brucie boy because he's a good bloke, but man, have Newcastle been riding their luck. They were night and day better under Rafa, no matter what the early points tally says. If Rafa had been allowed to invest this kind of money? They'd be challenging for a Euro spot. Instead we have a coward coach who is afraid of positive tactics. Did you watch the game, Chaplin? In the first half, for some miraculous reason, Bruce took the shackles off and let them play positive. Now, I'm not saying they were great or good, but they were showing well in the game. What happened after that? Bruce went totally negative, hoping and praying to scrape out a draw in London. And the players noticed, and boy, did they ever mail it in after that.

Rafa had a smaller, lesser squad (which is saying a lot!), and he managed to get the team to play some good, attractive counterattacking soccer in his time here. Bruce's answer--literally, he's come out and said this--is to hope for a moment of brilliance from Miggy or St. Maximin.

It's so disgusting being a fan of this club. Grinds you down, it really does.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Actually, I just read something that absolutely infuriated me, something that made me loathe and despise that imbecile Bruce. He's trying to use the extra goals Arsenal scored at the end to DEFEND his negative tactics. As a "look and see what happens when we try to be offensive" excuse. EFF off you incompetent fool! Why the hell would this team play for you at the end after you neutered them in the 2nd half? Instead of following up some good pressure with more pressure, you parked the bus! Then you're surprised when your desperation, way too late ploy to change to 4 at the back imploded? Jesus, this man has no shame, none at all. Nothing's ever his fault. He can't even hold his hand up and say "My fault this time." Never, not once is it his fault.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Absolutely embarrassing and shambolic. Bruce should be ashamed. Unless they somehow manage a draw against Burnley--so unlikely, now that they're coming apart at the seams--they'll be worse off than last year under Benitez, so all the idiotic reporters slobbering over Brucey Boy's aresehole won't have a damn thing to slobber over. Made Crystal Palace look like Man City, like. Would have lost 5 or 6 to nil, if Palace weren't a crap team that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah, they definitely look to be in a slide.

Palace really controlled that one and had all the chances.

Not sure the point of dragging down Zaha at the very end - not worth the red at that moment

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
And they're through. Whew! Any other team--ANY other team--and I could've turned the radio off in the 2nd half when Newcastle went up 3-0. But this is the Mags we're talking about. Bruce and co did their level best to choke the lead away. Thank goodness they held on! Onwards and upwards to the final 8. Now it gets far, far more difficult. Still, it's been a fun cup run.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Much as I hate Sunderland, I really enjoy "Sunderland 'Til I Die" on Netflix. It gives a marvelous look into the workings of a soccer club, and shows just how bad previous management have screwed them. Given I want the Tyne-Wear Derby to recommence, it'd be nice to see them promoted--though we knew before this series that it didn't happen.

Sure is nice to smile at where they are, though, as a Newcastle fan. Could've happened to the Magpies, so it's gratifying it happened to the kittens instead. The way they were going crazy for the Checktrade Trophy really had me rolling. Talking about winning a cup and all, and how they beat Newcastle along the way. Sunderland's 1st team beat the U-21s for Newcastle lol And, as irrelevant as the Checktrade Trophy is, they didn't manage to win that, just as they didn't win promotion.

Like I said, though, I do want them back in the PL with Newcastle. I won't say in the same league, because then, you watch: Newcastle would get demoted and Sunderland promoted :)

Edit: Oh man, I forgot how heartbreaking their playoff loss was. moments away from a penalty kick shootout for promotion!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch S2? I saw S1 and really liked it. I need to watch S2.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson