Isaiah Stewart

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another prospect for the Suns to consider is Isaiah Stewart.

Most of these prospects have been mentioned on the forum but I thought going through these prospects individually could get us through these tough times.

Tankathon has Stewart rated #21 in their mock draft. He is 18.9 years old and is 6'9", 245 pounds.

NBA Draft Room doesn't have him ranked but NBADraft.Net has him gong #21 as well. Their NBA comparison is to Antonio Davis.

Here is a snippet from NBADraft.Net:

Strengths: 6’9 athletic big man … Great length with a 7’4 wingspan and 9’0.5 standing reach … Good mobility, speed, and athleticism, especially at his size at 244 pounds. Gets off the ground quick and finishes plays above the rim.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/isaiah-stewart/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video on Isaiah Stewart, the power forward from Washington.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heck, I like Stewart in the 10-12 range if Carey and Okongwu are off the board.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I like Stewart a lot but I am unsure if he can excel at the PF position (next to Ayton). In this draft though, even if we end up with a solid backup center then it wouldn’t be a bad thing. He kind of reminds me of a slightly taller Alan Williams.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stewart is entering the draft. He would look nice next to Ayton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stewart is entering the draft. He would look nice next to Ayton.

I disagree. You basically can't run 2 pure interior bigs at the same time in the NBA anymore... at least if you want to win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. You basically can't run 2 pure interior bigs at the same time in the NBA anymore... at least if you want to win.

Maybe not full time but but Diallo and Ayton gave the Suns a twin tower look last season.

Part of it was injuries but in stretches I think it can be effective especially since Ayton can play some minutes at power forward.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe not full time but but Diallo and Ayton gave the Suns a twin tower look last season.

Part of it was injuries but in stretches I think it can be effective especially since Ayton can play some minutes at power forward.
From what l can find, Diallo and Ayton played a grand total of 6 minutes together and we were outscored by 8 points. A small, but brutal, sample size.

It is not surprising. Teams with 2 interior bigs are easy to defend and clog the lane for their own team. Also, Ayton played excellent interior defense last season, asking him to chase around perimeter players is a huge waste of his talent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what l can find, Diallo and Ayton played a grand total of 6 minutes together and we were outscored by 8 points. A small, but brutal, sample size.

It is not surprising. Teams with 2 interior bigs are easy to defend and clog the lane for their own team. Also, Ayton played excellent interior defense last season, asking him to chase around perimeter players is a huge waste of his talent.

I'm not ready to say Stewart can't play power forward. If nothing else he should be a good rotation player in time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not ready to say Stewart can't play power forward. If nothing else he should be a good rotation player in time.

The Suns don't have enough time to wait for someone who figures to top out at being a rotation player. It's one thing if they can play from day 1, like Cam, but unless they're sure that the player they're drafting can fill in for Baynes or Saric/Kaminsky then they should trade the pick.

If they can replace them then that opens up more money that can be spent on free agents so I can see the logic behind making that sort of move but if they don't think there is a player that can offer 90% of what those guys give you then surely there will be a team out there that will trade a vet for the pick for some reason.

Vets are moved for various reasons all the time either the vet is overpaid, won't resign there, doesn't factor into longterm plans, needs a change of scenery, etc. I could go on and on. I'm not expecting an Aaron Gordon in return but someone like an Enes Kanter should be fairly easy to find. I'm just using Kanter as an example of a sort of midlevel veteran big, I don't mean the Suns should target him specifically.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would keep the pick and get one of these bigs and make him a player sun fans can cheer for. Not a I used to play for player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns don't have enough time to wait for someone who figures to top out at being a rotation player. It's one thing if they can play from day 1, like Cam, but unless they're sure that the player they're drafting can fill in for Baynes or Saric/Kaminsky then they should trade the pick.

If they can replace them then that opens up more money that can be spent on free agents so I can see the logic behind making that sort of move but if they don't think there is a player that can offer 90% of what those guys give you then surely there will be a team out there that will trade a vet for the pick for some reason.

Vets are moved for various reasons all the time either the vet is overpaid, won't resign there, doesn't factor into longterm plans, needs a change of scenery, etc. I could go on and on. I'm not expecting an Aaron Gordon in return but someone like an Enes Kanter should be fairly easy to find. I'm just using Kanter as an example of a sort of midlevel veteran big, I don't mean the Suns should target him specifically.

It doesn't have to be either or.

I'm expecting the Suns to add a power forward this summer hopefully in free agency so they can keep their first round pick. If not, they may choose to trade it. I have no problem with it but I like adding a player each draft. I think it is the right way to go long term by adding cheap talent. Besides who is to say that Stewart can't contribute.

The Suns really were really worked over this season with injuries to Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky and the absence of Ayton for a bunch of games. The Suns could have really used a healthy young big man off the bench who could compete inside.

Also if a point guard should fall in the draft, the Suns need backup help there as well.

Back to some of the big men in the draft. Would I wait for a Paul Millsap type player? You bet.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I hate to be contrarian here, but I don't see it. I see a guy who is always a fraction off balance. He falls all over the place. And when he falls, he's about as graceful as a boulder. He gets away with tons of stuff just because he's in college and has a pro body. He's not really good at any one thing (well, except banging in the paint and drawing contact. He's really good at that.) Speaking of which, his free throw shot absolutely drives me nuts. The hitch is completely unnecessary.

That said, if you forced me to say the positives: he does emit an aroma of nasty, which we could use. I also love his arm length at +7 and he seems to have decent timing on help D. He's also really young and still figuring out his Herculean body.

I have him firmly behind Jalen Smith, Oturu, Pokusevski, and Carey, but dead equal to his teammate McDaniels (who has all world talent but shows immaturity in gobs, both of them drive me nuts for completely different reasons). I'd be hard pressed to take him at #10 over Haliburton, Okongwu, or Smith. Actually I'd rather have Lewis or Maledon over him too.

I'm just not a big fan given our draft spot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave