Wills vs Wirfs

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
3 years of great coaching at Iowa...why hasn't he been able to? I think we are agreeing.

Interesting info on Iowa OL (that may only interest me).

Highest ranked/best OL from Iowa over the past 10 years:

Brandon Scherff - Played LT at Iowa, was drafted to compete at RT, and ended up at RG

Riley Reiff - Played LT at Iowa and plays LT for Vikings

Bryan Bulaga - Played LT at Iowa and has played RT in NFL

Marshal Yanda - Played RT but became one of the best OG's in the NFL

not just you. Iowa OLs have high floors, but also seem to be topped out

that said: Wirfs is lightyears athletically ahead of all those other guys. doesn't mean he will be better though, but it suggests his ceiling is higher

a Wirfs "bust" looks like him struggling at OT for a couple seasons before moving inside to G and thriving

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've kind of changed my thoughts the more I look at this:

I like Wills the best now because I've been convinced he can start at RT and play at the highest level right now. I think he will be a Pro Bowl player.

Wirfs has more upside, but I think he will struggle a bit at times.

Becton has the most upside, but will take a season to get going.

Thomas will be solid but has a much lower ceiling. He would be a great guard.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I've always felt the best olineman have a nasty streak I see that in Wills game not so much with Wirfs.

That being said I would be ok with either of them if they are BPA when we pick feel that they would be upgrades to our current lineup for years to come, might not make the immediate impact of other players but you have to use the draft to build your future foundation.

I was all about Lamb before we added Hopkins and would still be happy with that pick, but we are set up this year to get younger on both lines so I really want to use the draft capital we have there as much as possible.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've kind of changed my thoughts the more I look at this:

I like Wills the best now because I've been convinced he can start at RT and play at the highest level right now. I think he will be a Pro Bowl player.

Wirfs has more upside, but I think he will struggle a bit at times.

Becton has the most upside, but will take a season to get going.

Thomas will be solid but has a much lower ceiling. He would be a great guard.

Is there such thing as technical upside? Wills may not have athletic upside but he’s 20 and the youngest OL in the draft. He can get better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I understand the arguments for all of the different dudes. If the Cardinals draft Becton, I get where they are coming from. IF they draft Wills, I get it. If they draft Wirfs, I get it and I am the happiest.

I am to the point where there are so many different players I would be ok with, the stress is gone.

I personally like Isaiah Simmons and Derrick Brown, and have liked them since I saw them in the 2018 college season. I wanted them in round 2 last year, and would be ok with either of them in round 1 this year. Not the direction I would prefer but...not my call.

I like Okudah. I like Chase Young. Don't think either will be available but whatever.

I like all three of the top OL, just have them ranked a certain way.

I am also good with trading back. We need dudes and this is a decent draft to add talent.

At WR, as long as we trade back, I get it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the arguments for all of the different dudes. If the Cardinals draft Becton, I get where they are coming from. IF they draft Wills, I get it. If they draft Wirfs, I get it and I am the happiest.

I am to the point where there are so many different players I would be ok with, the stress is gone.

I personally like Isaiah Simmons and Derrick Brown, and have liked them since I saw them in the 2018 college season. I wanted them in round 2 last year, and would be ok with either of them in round 1 this year. Not the direction I would prefer but...not my call.

I like Okudah. I like Chase Young. Don't think either will be available but whatever.

I am also good with trading back. We need dudes and this is a decent draft to add talent.

this is where I’m at. I’m good with Wills/Wirfs/Becton or Thomas. On defense I’m good with Young, Okudah, Simmons, Brown or Kinlaw

Becton, Thomas, Kinlaw all trade back targets.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wirfs looks & moves like a guard. I think he could be a damn good one in the NFL.

Pick 8 though? No thanks

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brown, Lamb, or OT will be our choice.
Herbert will jump up, leaving Derrick Brown for us as an option.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Young, Okudah, Simmons and prob Wirfs gone.

Brown, Lamb, or Wills? An embarrassment of riches to choose from.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Brown, Lamb, or OT will be our choice.
Herbert will jump up, leaving Derrick Brown for us as an option.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Young, Okudah, Simmons and prob Wirfs gone.

Brown, Lamb, or Wills? An embarrassment of riches to choose from.
I wouldn't doubt a number of teams have Kinlaw above Brown just because he is more disruptive this years draft seems to be solid till around 15, but that is easy to say today with hindsight next year it probably will show something different lol

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there such thing as technical upside? Wills may not have athletic upside but he’s 20 and the youngest OL in the draft. He can get better.
He's also from Kentucky lol. He chose Alabama & broke the hearts of all us Kentucky fans & coach Mark Stoops.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt a number of teams have Kinlaw above Brown just because he is more disruptive this years draft seems to be solid till around 15, but that is easy to say today with hindsight next year it probably will show something different lol
Kinlaw kind of disappeared in several games late in the season, may have been because South Carolina just wasn't good? Derrick Brown did not. He played solid all the way through the "Iron Bowl" matchup with Alabama that's always the last game of the regular season. The numbers may be better for Kinlaw in comparison to Brown? I have no idea really. I'm an SEC guy & I watched both play a whole lot. Imo, Brown is way more disruptive. Go back & watch the Iron Bowl game, he was constantly in the backfield. I think Matt Jones (Alabama QB that replaced Tua) is still seeing Brown in his sleep lol.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Kinlaw kind of disappeared in several games late in the season, may have been because South Carolina just wasn't good? Derrick Brown did not. He played solid all the way through the "Iron Bowl" matchup with Alabama that's always the last game of the regular season. The numbers may be better for Kinlaw in comparison to Brown? I have no idea really. I'm an SEC guy & I watched both play a whole lot. Imo, Brown is way more disruptive. Go back & watch the Iron Bowl game, he was constantly in the backfield. I think Matt Jones (Alabama QB that replaced Tua) is still seeing Brown in his sleep lol.
I'm personally higher on Brown but re.ember tis the season talk yourself I into a player or 2 just because it happens every year the Raiders last year took the kid nobody had figured till the teens Ferrell. Could see people talking themselves into Kinlaw over Brown even thou tape will not ever show it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I read something recently about how underrated younger players are. The gist of the article is that guys ARE going to physically improve and they will be better than comparable prospects a few years down the road.

So that is another reason to rate Wills higher.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Same boat dude.

Watch....the Cardinals take Josh Jones.

Even with him, I get the appeal, but I dont like the value.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Derrick Brown is a beast. End of story. Best DT in this class.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson