Vernon Carey Jr.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vernon Carey Jr. is a very big but athletic player from Duke. On the next level I think he can play some forward/center although he is listed as a center.

Carey is a 6'10", 265 pound freshman. He is 19.09 yrs old. Reminds me a bit of Zion in regard to build although he is not as explosive. Carey is a terrific rebounder.

Tankathon has him ranked #26 in their mock. NBADraft.Net has him going #13.

Here is a link to his strengths and weakness according to NBA Draft Room. They have him #18 in their mock.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/08/vernon-carey-jr.html

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video on Carey playing against Georgetown.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vernon Carey Jr. wins National Freshman of the Year award.

He joins some special company:

For the third straight year, a Duke player has been named the National Freshman of the Year by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).

Vernon Carey Jr. won the award, following Zion Williamson last year and Marvin Bagley III in 2018. The award was started in 2017, so Duke has accounted for three of the four winners.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/vernon-carey-wins-nabc-freshman-of-year

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've deliberately stayed away from focusing on players projected to go in the top ten. Looks like a good draft so far especially in regard to big men.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think Carey may be one of the safest picks in the draft. I think his ideal role in the NBA is at the 5 though. Not sure about his fit at the 4 next to Ayton in Monty’s preferred offense. Like I said before though, in this draft, if you come away with a solid backup, I consider it a win... so I have no problem drafting Carey even if he ultimately just winds up being our backup Center.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Vernon Carey has all the physical attributes you'd want out of a prospect. He's strong, athletic, and has an NBA body already. His numbers are impressive for a 19 year old and he played at a big time school...

BUT

I highly question his motor. He is lazy on box outs, is often late on help D, mistimes basic potential blocks, shows poor in game IQ, gets out of position for boards, will get caught watching the other players fight for boards when he should be throwing his body in the mix, and I just overall question his love for the game (which reminds me of Kevin Knox). And don't let his 38% from 3 fool you, he only shot 21 total for the year. That doesn't mean he can't hit, but it is a small sample size.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take him. I mean the guy has amazing potential. I am saying he has a lot of warts RIGHT NOW. The hope would be that he gets a fire lit in him when he hits the pros. If so, he can be a monster, and I mean a darn good one. If not, he's Kevin Knox (all the talent in the world with zero heart).

Jalen Smith is the safer pick. If you take Vernon Carey you're swinging for the fences.

BTW, I'm equally harsh on Obi who I think should go in the top 4. It's just that this draft is so thin so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over who we take at #10.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to start hitting on draft picks especially earlier picks. Missing on Bender, Chriss and Jackson really set them back. I'm hopeful that Cam can be the start of reversing that trend even though he was a slightly later pick.

I think Carey can become a rotation player who eventually starts some day. The Suns need to get it right regardless of position. I too think he is a safer pick.

Also I like the other two players we have discussed in Jalen Smith and Isaiah Stewart.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Carey is fine but I don't really see the potential. He has a decent chance to become a servicable NBA center, or even a good backup, but more? I don't know.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carey is fine but I don't really see the potential. He has a decent chance to become a servicable NBA center, or even a good backup, but more? I don't know.

The draft is not a sure thing but I think Carey has the potential to be a better version of Montrezl Harrell.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a terrible draft at the top.

It's weak for sure. It reminds me of the 2019 draft except there were two premiere players at the top in that draft.

I think the 2020 draft will produce more quality big men though so I hope the Suns keep the pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harrell would be the ultimate off season add to this team.

Harrell would be an excellent signing indeed. He would start at power forward and even play some backup center. I think he could anchor small ball lineups with Bridges and Oubre at the forwards.