If the Draft Were Tomorrow

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we go WR in the first, I've seen the Big Three as possibilities, but no mention of Jefferson of LSU, and I'm not sure why. Is he a big drop from Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs? I know he was productive in college against some VG defenses.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Harry that those are the seven players that will be taken before we pick. Of course, some team may surprise us and take an OT which means one of the 3 desired (Simmons, Okudah or Brown) could drop to us. As mentioned above we most likely will have our pick of an OT or WR. Interesting to see which way they go but my guess would be OT.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Other than offensive tackle and wide receiver, I think there's an outside chance that the Cards also consider K'Lavon Chaisson as well as Kinlaw at #8. Edge rusher is one of the high value assets that Keim has professed to value in putting together a roster.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubtful. Wirfs and Wills are probably close with Wirfs having more physical traits and Wills having better technique. Becton is the physical freak entry, meaning they either have him ranked as a god beyond those two, or have him as a big potential bust which is not even in the picture for their first, while Thomas actually might be a guy who teams have ranked right up there but he does not have the hype of the media... but what makes you think this is solely a OT draft, especially the way the Cards handle themselves in this free agency to be able to select the best player when they might pick, having guys at other positions who just might have a better score on that cryptic draft board of Keim's :)
Keim had to know an OT was going to be available. I don’t think we are going OT. I don’t think that necessarily says we are taking Lamb.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Other than offensive tackle and wide receiver, I think there's an outside chance that the Cards also consider K'Lavon Chaisson as well as Kinlaw at #8. Edge rusher is one of the high value assets that Keim has professed to value in putting together a roster.

I was just about to post on this. Every draft has one guy which for whatever reason is not included in the top ten. I mean the guy has no hate, is considered great, but is left out and that guy seems to be K'Lavon Chaisson. He has the length and speed to be a QB's nightmare and still weighs around 250. Chase Young is a stud and might turn out better than the Bosas but that does not mean Chaisson is not worth a top ten selection. He's that hindsight guy which people go, we could have selected him

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just about to post on this. Every draft has one guy which for whatever reason is not included in the top ten. I mean the guy has no hate, is considered great, but is left out and that guy seems to be K'Lavon Chaisson. He has the length and speed to be a QB's nightmare and still weighs around 250. Chase Young is a stud and might turn out better than the Bosas but that does not mean Chaisson is not worth a top ten selection. He's that hindsight guy which people go, we could have selected him
Chaisson might be the biggest sleeper in this draft. I’ll probably get slammed for this but I wouldn’t be upset if he were our pick. They being said, they definitely could trade down a bit to get him....maybe.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Chaisson might be the biggest sleeper in this draft. I’ll probably get slammed for this but I wouldn’t be upset if he were our pick. They being said, they definitely could trade down a bit to get him....maybe.

I would not mind him either one bit and I still want Lamical Perine as a running back selection late draft... he's my diamond in the rough lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chaisson has all pro traits but he has been often injured and his production was far from being great

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chaisson has all pro traits but he has been often injured and his production was far from being great

His production was elite once he recovered from injuries last year. He was the best player on LSU’s defense.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
His production was elite once he recovered from injuries last year. He was the best player on LSU’s defense.
The injuries you’ve mentioned plagued him throughout his career. He missed 2018 completely. He’s got the raw potential but needs lots of work on technique. If they trade down he’s a possibility but he’d be a reach at 8.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The injuries you’ve mentioned plagued him throughout his career. He missed 2018 completely. He’s got the raw potential but needs lots of work on technique. If they trade down he’s a possibility but he’d be a reach at 8.

Injuries are priced in to the value.

So is position.

OLB/Edge is massively important.

Working on technique seems like something Chandler could help with. By all reports Chaisson is an extremely hard worker and learner.

I watched the SECCG video and Thomas blocked him into the ground a few times. Thomas also got beat for a few pressures, beat off the edge to allow run contain, and gave up a strip-sack (bear strip-sack).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought I read that Chaisson has TRex arms which hurts his draft status.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...076BC3321E8539D43BBA076BC3321E8539D&FORM=VIRE

here is a 30 min video of the SEC Champ game where Andrew Thomas matched up vs Klavon Chaisson

based on that: you would take Andrew Thomas 9.5 out 10 times before Chaisson

Chaisson acquitted himself well. Watch the whole video. He stacks three or four pressures, gets a (near?) strip-sack, and contains edge on run really well on a few outside runs.

The commenters specifically mention how valuable he would be for a team looking to slow down San Francisco’s outside run game.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If he's there, that's my pick. You can always find servicable MLBs and Safeties. Finding elite pass rushers is as hard as finding elite QBs, and this one is good against the run.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Chaisson acquitted himself well. Watch the whole video. He stacks three or four pressures, gets a (near?) strip-sack, and contains edge on run really well on a few outside runs.

i also think some context is in order: LSU was up 17-3 at the half, and 31-3 in the 3rd quarter

for half the game, it was obvious passing situations

the thing with Chaisson: 3.5 sacks for the regular season, in situations where teams were throwing constantly trying to catch up.

if he didnt produce in college, why will he produce in the NFL?

Bucky Brooks said it best: do you get Danielle Hunter, or, Barkavious Mingo? no way do you take this player with a top half of the first round pick.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i also think some context is in order: LSU was up 17-3 at the half, and 31-3 in the 3rd quarter

for half the game, it was obvious passing situations

the thing with Chaisson: 3.5 sacks for the regular season, in situations where teams were throwing constantly trying to catch up.

if he didnt produce in college, why will he produce in the NFL?

Bucky Brooks said it best: do you get Danielle Hunter, or, Barkavious Mingo? no way do you take this player with a top half of the first round pick.

Everything is a gamble: it’s the NFL draft. I would rather gamble on
(1) elite traits
(2) at an elite position
(3) at a massive area of need

Really, “playing it safe” doesn’t make as much sense for a team that needs to improve a ton to be competitive.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Everything is a gamble: it’s the NFL draft. I would rather gamble on
(1) elite traits
(2) at an elite position
(3) at a massive area of need

Really, “playing it safe” doesn’t make as much sense for a team that needs to improve a ton to be competitive.

i dunno

that also describes Robert Nkemdiche, but at least it was only the 28th pick was used on that gamble

you dont need to use a top 10 pick on a projection

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would you be willing to trade away next years 1st along with other big considerations to move back into the first round this year? Take an OT and WR and get ready to challenge for the NFC next year.

Miami has 3 first round picks, Las Vegas has 2, Minnesota has 2, San Francisco has 2, Jacksonville has 2.

Gotta give them multiple picks and a player probably. Worth it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose