Trade back partners

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Reminds me of 1985, when the Niners were picking late (should have been last as they'd just won the Super Bowl), and coveted Jerry Rice. So did Dallas. Dallas had the #16 pick. The Niners made a last-minute deal to slide into the #15 slot and took him, much to the chagrin of the Dallas war room. The rest is history.

My point? Trading back doesn't mean you can't wind up with a VERY good pick. In this case, they wound up with the best of all time at his position.. though that seems like one helluva reach for Keim, who can't seem to make a decent pick before the 3rd round. I'm hoping they do trade back and finally hit on a couple of their highest picks.

Your example doesn't make any sense. A team picking late in the first traded UP to get a player just before another team; how is this an example of trading BACK?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I love it when people assert history is against something without the evidence to back it up. Every team has made bad deals but overall trading down has worked when done properly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...74c904-675c-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html

Love you to death, Harry, and I usually wouldn't think to argue with you, but that article certainly didn't age well. Even though they admitted Mahomes is a dazzling player, they still tried to criticize the trade-up.

“It has to turn out to be a home run, and even then, you’re still robbing your team of infrastructure,” Brandt says. So, Andrew, do you think the Super Bowl is a home run? LOL

Trading down can be great, but surely you aren't suggesting trading out of the first, which is an idea this article hammers home. And surely you don't trust what SK can do with a boatload of picks from trading out of the first as opposed to drafting top 8?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they trade down around 15 and get CJ Henderson or Thomas?
Are both very good prospects

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Think you could actually squeeze a 2nd from them? Or the two thirds?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t we had this thread come up multiple times??? Cleveland covets Becton & they are at 10. If Becton is still there at 8, make the trade with Cleveland. I’ve heard they’ll up a ton to secure this kid.
What do you think that they would be willing to give up?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you think that they would be willing to give up?

Definitely their 2nd & would add to that. Cleveland had a horrendous OL last year & Mayfield paid the price for it. Friends in Cleveland continue to say that they are eying our 8th pick as an opportunity to move up. They would trade up if it meant they could land Becton. If not, they stay put & take one of the other O-Linemen still on the board.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely their 2nd & would add to that. Cleveland had a horrendous OL last year & Mayfield paid the price for it. Friends in Cleveland continue to say that they are eying our 8th pick as an opportunity to move up. They would trade up if it meant they could land Becton. If not, they stay put & take one of the other O-Linemen still on the board.

A second would be serously overpaying to move up two spots. Their 3rd, in chart value terms, would in fact be a premium payment to the Cards

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good for us. Now if SK can make it work is another subject.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we traded down 2 or 3 spots( no further) and picked up a 3rd round pick we could always package a 3rd and 4th to move up into the second.
If we can find a team wanting to move up bad enough, then ask for a 2nd? Then just keep the 3rd plus both 4ths. That's 5 players in 4 rounds, I'll take that.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cleveland is prepared to overpay. I would NOT make the trade unless we get their 2nd round pick.
Cleveland always overpays. I'm glad your friends in Cleveland enlightened you on their possible plans. It does make sense. I had no idea they covet Becton? If he's gone, then what? They may not wanna give up a 2nd for the 2nd or 3rd OT prospect on their board?

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I'm in a live mock draft with a fan from every team and you are right..... It was tough to find a partner.

I picked up the Jets pick at 79 (I think) in the 3rd and we swapped spots (#8 to #11). He then picked Becton.

On the board at 11 were: All three WR's & Wirfs.

It was odd...... I think the WR's fell because everyone knows there will be more WR's in the middle of the draft so the OT's went super fast.

First 15 picks:
Bengals Joe Burrow
Redskins Chase Young
Chargers Tua Tagovailoa
Dolphins Isaiah Simmons
Dolphins Jedrick Wills Jr
Lions Jeff Okudah
Panthers Derrick Brown
Jets Mekhi Becton
Jaguars Javon Kinlaw
Browns Andrew Thomas
Cardinals Tristan Wirfs
Raiders C.J. Henderson
49ers Jerry Jeudy
Buccaneers CeeDee Lamb
Broncos Henry Ruggs

The Lions and Chargers swapped spots for some capital (A likely scenario IMO. They LOVE them some Tua)

And the Giants swapped out with Miami (Unlikely IMO) for a haul of picks that included one of their firsts this year, one next year, and a third rounder as well.

This is all based around what the mock drafts are saying. Every year a couple teams end up reaching for a player. It will be interesting to see how the draft plays out.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the OP, trade back partners.

So the question is what player(s) would be available at 8 that another team would want to trade up for that the Cards could pass on? A QB is the obvious answer because of their value and the fact we wouldn't pick one in the first several rounds of the draft.

If Simmons or Okuda are there I say make the pick.

Brown is another possibility and once again I would pick him.

The QB's would be our saving grace and of course a good deal of luck.

Teams that need to draft a QB:

Bengals
Dolphins (sorry Josh)
Chargers

None of this helps us since they all draft before us in rd 1 and it means the top 3 candidates are gone. Now if the Chargers pick up Cam then maybe Herbert gets the Jags or Raiders in the mood to trade up. Even if Herbet goes to the Chargers maybe the Jags and Raiders want Jordon Love.

Some have said the Browns want to trade up to get Becton and I would be good with that as well. Part of me wants the Mountain man but extra picks is my true happy place.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cleveland always overpays. I'm glad your friends in Cleveland enlightened you on their possible plans. It does make sense. I had no idea they covet Becton? If he's gone, then what? They may not wanna give up a 2nd for the 2nd or 3rd OT prospect on their board?

Exactly. The Browns are a desperate franchise & ownership thought they turned the corner after Mayfield's rookie season. They will spend whatever capital they need to at this point to avoid falling back into oblivion. If you think Murray had to run for his life last season, go back and watch Baker. Only, Baker doesn't have the wheels & moves that K1 has to avoid the rush. Cleveland has NO choice but to fix their OL. Cleveland wants a bonafide LT. If they don't trade up for Becton, they may stay put & draft Andrew Thomas.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cleveland will probably have their pick of 4 quality tackles at 10.

They want a bonafide LT to protect Mayfield's blind side. They prefer Becton. Don't be surprised if they trade up even further than 8 to get him. Otherwise, they may stand pat & draft Andrew Thomas.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Exactly. The Browns are a desperate franchise & ownership thought they turned the corner after Mayfield's rookie season. They will spend whatever capital they need to at this point to avoid falling back into oblivion. If you think Murray had to run for his life last season, go back and watch Baker. Only, Baker doesn't have the wheels & moves that K1 has to avoid the rush. Cleveland has NO choice but to fix their OL. Cleveland wants a bonafide LT. If they don't trade up for Becton, they may stay put & draft Andrew Thomas.
Most of the mock drafts I've looked at have them taking Thomas. I like Thomas, he's the most ready OT in the draft right now imo. Some will say Wirfs, maybe Wirfs as a RT but LT is Thomas easily. Thomas played RT his freshman yr at Georgia.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave