Is this draft really a good Oline class? How do they compare to Levi Brown as a prospect?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would like us to go Oline as long as the player has as good of odds as being as good as any of the receivers but there seems to be big warts with all of the oline players that I can see. I read some "experts" really dislike Wills, Wirfs comparison video to Wills doesn't look promising, Becton just looks like he run blocked and would probably need to sit a year to learn pass protection... Where the top 3 receivers almost look plug and play.

There are players I wanted the Cardinals to take in the past drafts that we didn't... Uralcher, Sugs, & Adrian Peterson (I remember my dad saying who do you think you are, a GM? they know better than you lol) Peterson vs Levi Brown seemed like a no brainer but I can't recall how well Levi Brown was regarded. If we looked back at his so call "grade" before the draft, would he be graded as well as these guys? Especially his game tape? I'm just not sure of any of the oline prospects...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1048-cardinals-draft-part-2-sizing-up-levi-brown?share=other

LEVI BROWN, OT, PENN STATE

Buzz out of Cardinal Country was that offensive line coach Russ Grimm (who Levi out individually during his Pro Day) liked him better than Joe Thomas (whom many observers rated higher).

I'd prefer to rate one tackle 1a and the other 1b. Thomas was considered the better pass blocker and the "safer" prospect. Brown was considered the more physical run blocker with more athleticism and a greater upside, but with a slightly less consistent motor.

For many years, the Cardinals have had problems running the football (until the arrival of Edgerrin James, the last Arizona RB to run for more than 1,000 yards in a season was Adrian Murrell). While the Cardinal rushing attack approached respectability in the latter half of last season, there is room for considerable improvement. Add to this the departure of Leonard Davis to the Cowboys and it became growingly evident that Levi Brown fit the job description to a tee.

Lol. Hindsight is always 20/20

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Buzz out of Cardinal Country was that offensive line coach Russ Grimm (who Levi out individually during his Pro Day) liked him better than Joe Thomas (whom many observers rated higher).

I'd prefer to rate one tackle 1a and the other 1b.

im a draft-nik

been following it closely for years. Grimms opinion was in the minority

consensus was that Thomas was head and shoulders the best OT prospect, and then there was a pretty big gap

there were three OTs taken in that draft: a sure fire Hall of Famer in Thomas, a mulit year pro bowl caliber player in Joe Staley taken at 28, ........... and Levi Brown

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who knows?

The NFL is littered with the bones of great college players that sucked in the league. People had Luke Joeckel as a lock Pro Bowl caliber tackle. Eric Fisher went #1 and has been average at best.

But if you don't try you don't succeed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im a draft-nik

been following it closely for years. Grimms opinion was in the minority

consensus was that Thomas was head and shoulders the best OT prospect, and then there was a pretty big gap

there were three OTs taken in that draft: a sure fire Hall of Famer in Thomas, a mulit year pro bowl caliber player in Joe Staley taken at 28, ........... and Levi Brown

I consider myself a draft geek to and Brown was not some come out of nowhere player. Mel Kiper had him going 8th in his mock. He was the best athlete of the bunch and team captain at Penn State.

you also have to remember what part falls in the team for not developing him. Russ Grim was horrible. Leonard Davis wasn’t fast enough to get out in the edge but what he was was stronger than anybody on the planet. Failed at LT here Cowboys move him inside and just let him maul people he goes from bust to perineal pro bowler.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I consider myself a draft geek to and Brown was not some come out of nowhere player. Mel Kiper had him going 8th in his mock. He was the best athlete of the bunch and team captain at Penn State.

you also have to remember what part falls in the team for not developing him. Russ Grim was horrible. Leonard Davis wasn’t fast enough to get out in the edge but what he was was stronger than anybody on the planet. Failed at LT here Cowboys move him inside and just let him maul people he goes from bust to perineal pro bowler.

I am taking issue with the idea that Levi Brown was closely ranked with joe Thomas. He wasnt

BTW: Leonard Davis was on Denny Green. Denny decided that a player making that much money had to play LT, where he struggled. It totally soured the relationship with the team and he was allowed to walk

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not too long ago I saw a tweet from Jim Nagy of the Senior Bowl, he said there were no "elite" OT prospects in this draft.

This doesn't surprise me. I watch the videos of their games, and none of them seem outstanding. So I wouldn't be disappointed in not taking an OT in the first round because of this

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the tweet...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don’t see an elite T either in this draft none of these guys are Thomas, Ogden or Pace

at the same time I don’t see any elite WR either none of these guys are Fitz, Julio or Megatron

lot of good but not great on offense in this draft

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol was hard rewatching the 2007 draft brown over Peterson ouch

That draft was deep

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well, Jim Nagy would be wrong then......

Only time will tell. To be honest it seems that the reality is very few college OT's are NFL ready anymore. I think interior OL have an easier transition and become impactful sooner than rookie OT's.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only time will tell. To be honest it seems that the reality is very few college OT's are NFL ready anymore. I think interior OL have an easier transition and become impactful sooner than rookie OT's.
That may be true. However, linemen in college are not being groomed for the tradition nfl offense. That being said there seems to be a transition to a more open style college approach to offenses. So an OT is being graded in the traditional style may grade high but might have to adjust when he gets to the nfl. Does a team want a tank or are they geared more for a hum-v.

Just a thought.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Take some time and read everything out there on the Tackles, it's not good. These are all RTs with flaws. One Tackle everyone wants, was a combine star, which is the first giant No No. Jonathan Cooper ran a a cool 40 too when Keim drafted him, but it didnt translate to the field. They all have big question mark's, not worth an 8 pick.

The elite prospects are at WR, its deep but Lamb shines ahead of the other 2, being this offense is built on the run after the catch, he has chemistry with the QB already and familiarity in the offense. People say they dont need a WR, but this team runs a spread 4 or 5 WR set that will be out there. KK had to scale his offense back due to not enough WRs to run 5, they ran 4 often. Hopkins Fitz Lamb and Kirk with Murray and Drake is a nice base offense in a KK spread offense.

Last edited:

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wirfs could be the next Brown. Give me the guy with a natural feel for the game (Wills) over the athletic freak with poor technique (Wirfs). Neither are elite prospects though.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel for Lamb is almost a for sure contributor long term.. I can't really tell if that is true for the O-lineman.. That's why I'd like Simmons or Brown.. We need as sure of a thing as we can get.. I'd be happy with 90% odds at being top 20% at their position :)