Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona is about to land Kerwin Walton. If they can beat out UCLA for Juzang they might be able to field a competent team.

Competent as in NIT, perhaps. We still don't have a single power forward on the roster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona is about to land Kerwin Walton. If they can beat out UCLA for Juzang they might be able to field a competent team.

as you know Juzang committed to UCLA today. They think good chance he gets a waiver, we'll see.

Also as you know there are lots of rumors U$C will get both Josh Christopher and Ziaire Williams although apparently Michigan still has a good shot at Josh.

I hope kids pay attention, for the most part the kids who are in the right class and move up a year almost always regret it. Juzang did it for UK, a couple of kids(Baker for one) did it for Duke, Akot did it for Arizona, Chris Smith did it for UCLA. They almost always come in and barely play because they're just not physically or mentally ready.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
as you know Juzang committed to UCLA today. They think good chance he gets a waiver, we'll see.

Also as you know there are lots of rumors U$C will get both Josh Christopher and Ziaire Williams although apparently Michigan still has a good shot at Josh.

I hope kids pay attention, for the most part the kids who are in the right class and move up a year almost always regret it. Juzang did it for UK, a couple of kids(Baker for one) did it for Duke, Akot did it for Arizona, Chris Smith did it for UCLA. They almost always come in and barely play because they're just not physically or mentally ready.

Meanwhile, we continue to see Miller continue to fail at his one supposedly remaining aptitude, recruiting. We are now settling for scraps, thanks in part to the black mark on our program Miller and his staff earned, and thanks in part to Miller's countless recent failures with high level recruits (Mannion, Green, Randolph, Doutrive and Akot being among them).

I can't wait until Miller is shown the door, even if it means a full blown tear-down and rebuild of the program. Miller literally does not have a single redeeming quality anymore.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Well you bumped a post referring to Kerwin being a sure thing. Now it sounds a little murky with UNC opening up a scholarship ... Arizona will likely land another GT but we know how that’s worked out the last few seasons.

As cutthroat as it sounds next year would be a good time to replace Miller with Akinjo, Brown, Koloko, Terry and Mathurin (possibly Kerwin) having a year(s) under their belt. Give the new guy a head start.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well you bumped a post referring to Kerwin being a sure thing. Now it sounds a little murky with UNC opening up a scholarship ... Arizona will likely land another GT but we know how that’s worked out the last few seasons.

As cutthroat as it sounds next year would be a good time to replace Miller with Akinjo, Brown, Koloko, Terry and Mathurin (possibly Kerwin) having a year(s) under their belt. Give the new guy a head start.

The time to replace Miller is now. (Actually, it was right after the opening round loss to Buffalo two years ago, where it was clear that Miller couldn't win even with a dirty program and the highest level recruits.)

And yes, I know that everyone at that level cheats somewhat, but it takes a special brand of incompetence to cheat and still not win.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC continues to rack up recruits, transfer Josh Morgan just committed. Almost assuredly has to sit a year since he played at Long Beach he can't claim he's moving closer to home(Sacramento). If they do get Christopher and Ziaire Williams to add to the Mobleys I imagine Enfield will find a way to screw it up. Hoping Christopher goes to Michigan and Ziaire if not UCLA(seems unlikely) to Stanford.

It does seem like kids who consider Arizona right now seem to be picking other schools.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
USC continues to rack up recruits, transfer Josh Morgan just committed. Almost assuredly has to sit a year since he played at Long Beach he can't claim he's moving closer to home(Sacramento). If they do get Christopher and Ziaire Williams to add to the Mobleys I imagine Enfield will find a way to screw it up. Hoping Christopher goes to Michigan and Ziaire if not UCLA(seems unlikely) to Stanford.

It does seem like kids who consider Arizona right now seem to be picking other schools.

Yup. Yet another failure on Miller's part, and at a position of desperate need. Show him the door already. This is only going to get even worse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ziaire Williams announcing tomorrow, Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, UNC, USC

that's alphabetically and it's interesting. Stanford fans think they're getting him, UNC fans think they're out, SC fans think they're getting him, UCLA fans think they're out and at least one UA person thinks they're in the final 2.

But nobody knows.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ziaire Williams announcing tomorrow, Arizona, Stanford, UCLA, UNC, USC

that's alphabetically and it's interesting. Stanford fans think they're getting him, UNC fans think they're out, SC fans think they're getting him, UCLA fans think they're out and at least one UA person thinks they're in the final 2.

But nobody knows.

AZ has seemed to gain some momentum in this one. Maybe he was waiting for Josh Green to declare. I think he’s a tier above Green as a prospect.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AZ has seemed to gain some momentum in this one. Maybe he was waiting for Josh Green to declare. I think he’s a tier above Green as a prospect.

I would bet good money on it being USC or UCLA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's Stanford.

That wouldn't surprise me, either, and it would be the ultimate slap in the face to our program (as we all know he is a one and done and therefore wouldn't be going for the academics). It's one thing to lose recruits to their hometown schools, even when we have more playing time to offer. It's another to lose them to a school just as far away from home, with 6 small forwards already on the roster, coached by Jerod freaking Haase...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Much better shooter than Josh. Not as strong but yeah better player IMO if not going to UCLA would prefer Stanford or Arizona to USC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet good money on it being USC or UCLA.

UCLA is pretty much out, they're going after transfer Luther Muhammad and some others. They'd take Williams of course but he's a Nike kid.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That wouldn't surprise me, either, and it would be the ultimate slap in the face to our program (as we all know he is a one and done and therefore wouldn't be going for the academics). It's one thing to lose recruits to their hometown schools, even when we have more playing time to offer. It's another to lose them to a school just as far away from home, with 6 small forwards already on the roster, coached by Jerod freaking Haase...

Had Tyrell Terry come back for them I think it would be a no brainer for Ziaire. They’d be returning some solid players in Terry and De Silva along with solid role players. Without Terry in the fold I think AZ with Ziaire is better than Stanford with Ziaire. It’s pretty clear Nike is paying the bills here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Had Tyrell Terry come back for them I think it would be a no brainer for Ziaire. They’d be returning some solid players in Terry and De Silva along with solid role players. Without Terry in the fold I think AZ with Ziaire is better than Stanford with Ziaire. It’s pretty clear Nike is paying the bills here.

If we are no longer the premier Nike program in the West outside of the obvious in Oregon, we are in serious trouble...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Stanford it is according to the 247 guys. That was probably the one kid that would’ve kept Miller’s job safe.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stanford it is according to the 247 guys. That was probably the one kid that would’ve kept Miller’s job safe.

If it means Miller's gone now, I am fine with the embarrassment of losing Williams to Jerod Haase and Stanford. At this point, even a flyer on Damon Stoudamire, Joseph Blair, Reggie Geary or Josh Pastner would be an improvement over Miller.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave