Keim Not Done

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
**whistle***

Moving the goalposts

5 post penalty

Replay this comment

You asked how it was hyperbole so I answered your question.
Eh, the way you called him out (in the first reply) was like you thought he really meant those kinds of numbers were going to happen, when you tend to think the team can't do much wrong. Anyways, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counter-point: good WRs are available every single year, in abundance. In the draft, or in free agency. When your team has an overwhelming strength, and glaring immediate weaknesses, you don't worry about what "might" be in a year.

Excellent counterpoint to long term though I think the real counterpoint in this draft is that the guys in Round 2 are Round 1 receivers in a lot of drafts.

It's why I prefer trade back and take offensive line at 1 and receiver at 2

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, the way you called him out (in the first reply) was like you thought he really meant those kinds of numbers were going to happen, when you tend to think the team can't do much wrong. Anyways, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Nah I was trying to be funny and failing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
#1. offensive sets are why a receiver may matter

The Cardinals ran 1000 offensive plays in 2019. Great number because it makes the percentages easy.

34.6% of the time they were in 11 personel or 3 WRs.
31.7% of the time they were in 10 personel or 4 WRs
0.5% they went 5 WRs

This means that if your assumption is that the #8 pick is at best a #4 WR then that person will play 32.2% of the time. If they become the #3 receiver they would play 66.8% of the time.
Not to mention if the team has 4 receivers of the quality of Hop, Fitz, Lamb and Kirk they are likely to run those sets even more. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 3 receivers on the field for as many as 80% of the snaps and 4 receivers up to 40% of snaps.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Drew Brees has said he thinks his guards and center are more important than his tackles. It allows him to step up and see downfield.

I look for the Cards to beef up the middle of the line if anything.

Keim might use the draft to attempt to load up this offense. Trade down still get a top wr, rb, guard and Te.

Just sayin....

Interesting take by Brees and in ways it makes a lot of sense.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Drew Brees has said he thinks his guards and center are more important than his tackles. It allows him to step up and see downfield.

I look for the Cards to beef up the middle of the line if anything.

Keim might use the draft to attempt to load up this offense. Trade down still get a top wr, rb, guard and Te.

Just sayin....
Easy for Drew to say with two Pro Bowl caliber tackles

Reaction score
If this draft is about the future, why not protect the future of the franchise by adding an elite player to block for him? Our new OT might not come out and light the world on fire, but he'll have way more upside than Murray, and we could add even more to create a dominant line next year.

And to repeat - good WRs are frequently available, good offensive linemen are not.
Flashback to 2007: With this type of reasoning the Cardinals drafted Levi Brown. . .

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That is a silly statement.

Keeping your franchise QB happy is always part of the equation.
This. They may not go right to him and ask him who he wants, but if he is pulling for them to draft someone I could at least see that being enough to act as a tiebreaker of sorts.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This. They may not go right to him and ask him who he wants, but if he is pulling for them to draft someone I could at least see that being enough to act as a tiebreaker of sorts.

I also think with this year, being sure about a guy when no/few pro days and no/few facility visits occurred should be considered. The 'tiebreaker' zone might be much wider this year.

With this being an unusual draft, taking a talented guy your QB wants because they know them might make the most sense if the spot fits with the talent.

Plus we've seen that Keim and the Cardinals clearly have instituted the 'who you know' approach to acquiring guys one way or another. In this case, it fits. It simply does.

We can likely be more sure of Lamb and his fit with the Cards than most if not all the other teams and their picks and definitely any other prospect we could pick.

It really wouldn't surprise me. Not saying it's the right call, but in the absence of the usual information in GM's hands about any and all of these players, Lamb has the unusual advantage of the Cardinals knowing much more about him than other prospects expected to be around #8. He's more of a known quantity. They likely know everything about his personality, work ethic, and all those intangibles that they are hard-pressed to get about anyone else.

Sure we have our scouting reports and anything from the combine, but what might that be... 70 percent of it all? 85? It still isn't close to what we normally have and that leaves some wiggle room and an incentive to go with a known quantity.

Throw in a desire by the QB on a team with an offensive head coach that likely wants to run his system and some question marks at receiver long term besides Hopkins and to a lesser extent Kirk, and we really should prepare ourselves that it might not be as much of a curveball pick as the general consensus might think.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if neither CB/ILB is there Lamp will be the pick if not a great Trade up occurs, but with this year, trade ups could be the exeption.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear the argument Lamb and Hopkins are too much alike.

Well guess what? These two would control both sidelines. Who will our opponents assign the #2 cb on? How much will that open the middle for the Legend and Kirk?

Kyler threw for 3800 yards with this offense. Add Hopkins and Lamb to that mix.This offense could consistently create mismatches all over the field.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I hear the argument Lamb and Hopkins are too much alike.

Well guess what? These two would control both sidelines. Who will our opponents assign the #2 cb on? How much will that open the middle for the Legend and Kirk?

Kyler threw for 3800 yards with this offense. Add Hopkins and Lamb to that mix.This offense could consistently create mismatches all over the field.
You're getting overexcited about this. It doesn't matter who the #2 CB is assigned to if the entire offense can't run properly because the timing is completely thrown off.

Our division is stacked with players whose focus is getting in the backfield and knocking off this timing. And again, an injured Kyler does these four WRs no good.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a silly statement. While he may not have a big say on it I think we can assume that he has a hell of a lot more pull than we do...

Why is it?

The best QBs ever to play the game had zero input in draft strategy. Why would a 2nd year player?

Fans are deluded sometimes. Players don't get a say. Even QBs. And Kyler said so himself when last asked about CeeDee.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is it?

The best QBs ever to play the game had zero input in draft strategy. Why would a 2nd year player?

Fans are deluded sometimes. Players don't get a say. Even QBs. And Kyler said so himself when last asked about CeeDee.

Well, someone is in a position to at least bend Keim and KK's ear, and it isn't you or me.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Why is it?

Larry Fitzgerald was crucial in the decision to draft Michael Floyd. You are kidding yourself if you think that he faces of the franchise don’t have a say on draft picks

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald was crucial in the decision to draft Michael Floyd. You are kidding yourself if you think that he faces of the franchise don’t have a say on draft picks

The only people kidding themselves are those that think any FO would draft a player because thier QB is buddies with him and those that think we are drafting a WR at 8 when we just traded our 2nd for a top 3 WR that's going to have a 20m cap hit.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The only people kidding themselves are those that think any FO would draft a player because thier QB is buddies with him and those that think we are drafting a WR at 8 when we just traded our 2nd for a top 3 WR that's going to have a 20m cap hit.
Nobody is saying that they are going to draft Lamb solely because Kyler might be clamoring for him. We are simply stating that Kyler might have some say in it, especially if Lamb is already someone they are considering to begin with. Suggesting that Kyler has ZERO say/influence is the only completely ridiculous thing I have seen in this discussion.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why is it?

I do not buy that at all. Just because we are not privy to actually what goes on by not being an actual member of a franchise does not mean that a QB with some clout has not altered a team's direction with their input

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Going WR at 8 would be astronomically #notsmart, but going with Lamb when Ruggs fits this offense way more with Nuk onboard takes it another gear.
Any of the 3 top receivers would fit this offense. I like Ruggs but I’d still think Murray’s familiarity with Lamb makes him the surest thing to be a success.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of the 3 top receivers would fit this offense. I like Ruggs but I’d still think Murray’s familiarity with Lamb makes him the surest thing to be a success.
Hope you’re there for us when the cards take Lamb. We’ll need all Hands on deck to counter attack all the b****** and moaning!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose