To me, only 4 options at 8

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Based on player talent and need, I can only see 4 players the Cards should consider at 8. In order
1-Simmons:reasons are obvious but he’s likely gone.
2- Ruggs: the NFL is an offensive game. Ruggs brings the element missing to the offense. Look at how effective Houston’s offfense was with Fuller and without. That’s because he’s the deep threat to open everything up.

3- Wirfs: best OT for the Cards. He’s athletic and can move over to LT if Humphries gets injured.

4-Okudah: you can never have enough good CBs. His talent level exceeds the 8th spot but I list him 4th for the Cards needs.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons is the freakiest defensive player maybe ever? You just can’t pass that guy up if he’s there.

Wirfs/Wills I’m good with either guy.

Derrick Brown is my 4th option. Let’s beef up the offensive line or the defensive front 7

trade back options Andrew Thomas, Kinlaw or AJ Epenesa

if we must draft a WR at 8 it has to be Ruggs. I want a game breaker someone who strikes fear in a defense. Lamb and Juedy are solid but neither is spectacular at one thing. Ruggs is by far the best athlete and by all accounts he’s the alpha in that Alabama WR room

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Correct it is the same reason I don't list Young

Agreed but there are some mocks with Okudah dropping but never Young.

My top 3 at #8:

Okudah
Simmons
Becton

I really like Wills and wouldn't be pissed if we took him.

Trade down targets:
Any of the top 3 wr's
Any of the top 3 ot's
Kinlaw

Guys I don't want at #8:
Brown
Wirfs

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Who wouldn’t be happy with Okudah? But no way he’s there at 8
I'm probably the only one.

Sorta for the same reason I'm against WR.

But my reaction will be more like "eh, not the direction I wanted to go, but cool," as opposed to the anger I'll have if it's a WR.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm probably the only one.

Sorta for the same reason I'm against WR.

But my reaction will be more like "eh, not the direction I wanted to go, but cool," as opposed to the anger I'll have if it's a WR.
At least with CB, it’s wayyy more understandable than going WR.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't want a WR at #8. We drafted 3 last year. Way too early to give up on them. Perhaps Isabella with his 4.31 speed could be our #4 receiver. Lots of WRs take several years to develop.
Guys i like at #8 are:
1. LB Simmons
2. CB Okudha
3. OT Wirfs
4. OT Benton

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons, Okudah, Wills, Wiirfs for me--in that order. Of course if Mekhi is there I really consider that too.

That is the key. With 3 QB's and an edge rusher guaranteed to go before we pick, we will get one of these players.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Have you guys seen the thread with this video? Wirfs doesn't look all that great in it, I think freakish measurables is not the most important thing for Olinemen..

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looking at it with a mix of BPA, team needs, and inability to bring in someone in FA without breaking the bank...my order goes like this:

1. Young - Close to a sure thing. Potentially WAY WAY better than anyone that will hit the FA market anytime soon. If he is there you take him no brainer.
2. Okudah - Close to sure thing. PP21 could easily be dealt during the year or walk in the offseason. CB's are getting crazy money, and we have no proven starters behind PP21. Take him and lock up at least the CB2 position for 5 years, if not CB1.
3. Simmons - Could fill any number of holes we end up with on defense during his rookie contract, from ILB to S to Slot Corner, to OLB at times. To valuable and versitile to pass up.

Pretty big gap...then

4. Derek Brown - if he turns into a disruptive force on the d-line...those are rare and very expensive. We have Phillips, an aging Peters, and no other sure things on D-Line.
5. Wills - as close to a lock to be a 10 year starter at RT as you are going to get. He is truly a plug and play rookie, and I think has the possibility to move over to LT if DJ is hurt or if we move on from him at some point.
6. CeeDee Lamb - Looks to be a potential WR1..possibly a star. He is a luxury pick right now, but in another year he might very well be NEEDED as our WR#2.

Another Pretty big gap

7- Ruggs- elite speed, brings something unique that you can't find in FA's.
8- Wirfs-Becton-Thomas ....all guys that I think will be good RT's but not nessescarily better than FA's that could be brought in.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From my point of view if Young, Okudah or Simmons are still on board, you call Godell and take him.

If one of Brown, Lamb, Willis is there, you might look at him. I think if Lamb is there you probably take him, because you can be quite sure that he will be a hit with your QB and learning a year or two from Fitz might help. And opposite Hopkins you have then a starting caliber WR. But if you get a trade up from around 11 and hope that one falls of them or you like becton or ruggs, you trade down for an extra #2nd rounder and draft the guy and call it a day.

But without many meetings and work outs, my fear is that this could be a bust heavy draft.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
From my point of view if Young, Okudah or Simmons are still on board, you call Godell and take him.

If one of Brown, Lamb, Willis is there, you might look at him. I think if Lamb is there you probably take him, because you can be quite sure that he will be a hit with your QB and learning a year or two from Fitz might help. And opposite Hopkins you have then a starting caliber WR. But if you get a trade up from around 11 and hope that one falls of them or you like becton or ruggs, you trade down for an extra #2nd rounder and draft the guy and call it a day.

But without many meetings and work outs, my fear is that this could be a bust heavy draft.
The opposite could also be true with less visits front office and scouts have to do better tape evaluation and trust their eyeballs so maybe less busts because you are actually getting football players and not just workout warriors

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't like Ruggs at 8. Lots of guys 'take the top off a defense'. Speedsters are a dime a dozen. Plus, we already have at least two 'alpha's in the room as it is. There's only one ball to go around.

We have a luxury at 8 this year of being able to take whatever great talent falls to us, and by reports, we can choose the next Patrick Peterson in Okudah, the next Aaron Donald in Derrick Brown, the next DeAndre Hopkins in CeeDee Lamb, or the next Jonathan Ogden in one of the tackles. There isn't really a comp for Simmons. He's the Christian McCaffrey of the defense.

At least that's what the hype tells us.

Which one represents the biggest upgrade on the existing competition on the team already? That's the guy you look hardest at.

Okudah vs Robert Alford
Brown vs Zach Allen
Simmons vs maybe Devon Kennard or Jordan Hicks
Wills/Wirfs vs Justin Murray
Lamb vs Larry Fitzgerald, presuming #2 spot long term

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
Based on player talent and need, I can only see 4 players the Cards should consider at 8. In order
2- Ruggs: the NFL is an offensive game. Ruggs brings the element missing to the offense. Look at how effective Houston’s offfense was with Fuller and without. That’s because he’s the deep threat to open everything up.

3- Wirfs: best OT for the Cards. He’s athletic and can move over to LT if Humphries gets injured.

4-Okudah: you can never have enough good CBs. His talent level exceeds the 8th spot but I list him 4th for the Cards needs.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't like Ruggs at 8. Lots of guys 'take the top off a defense'. Speedsters are a dime a dozen. Plus, we already have at least two 'alpha's in the room as it is. There's only one ball to go around.

We have a luxury at 8 this year of being able to take whatever great talent falls to us, and by reports, we can choose the next Patrick Peterson in Okudah, the next Aaron Donald in Derrick Brown, the next DeAndre Hopkins in CeeDee Lamb, or the next Jonathan Ogden in one of the tackles. There isn't really a comp for Simmons. He's the Christian McCaffrey of the defense.

At least that's what the hype tells us.

Which one represents the biggest upgrade on the existing competition on the team already? That's the guy you look hardest at.

Okudah vs Robert Alford
Brown vs Zach Allen
Simmons vs maybe Devon Kennard or Jordan Hicks
Wills/Wirfs vs Justin Murray
Lamb vs Larry Fitzgerald, presuming #2 spot long term

First, I'd reorder the competition somewhat before setting order of priority:

Simmons vs Hasson Reddick
Okudah vs Robert Alford
Brown vs Jonathan Bullard
Wills/Wirfs vs Justin Murray/Marcus Gilbert
Lamb vs Larry Fitzgerald

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Almost agree completely - but here is how I would rank it

1. Simmons
2. Okudah
3. Trade down no lower than 15 than take best WR/OT/DL on the board
4. Ruggs/Lamb
5. Wirfs/Wills