Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter what anyone thinks here?

I am just trying to figure out does TJ actually think the only thing that happened was Book scammed some people for money and none of the kids actually got paid.

2 simple questions that I've aksed before and are never answered.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
The high profile guys get paid in HS/AAU, then at the P5 level. The coaches all know, many are involved personally. Until this is an anomaly and not SOP I do not care even a little.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high profile guys get paid in HS/AAU, then at the P5 level. The coaches all know, many are involved personally. Until this is an anomaly and not SOP I do not care even a little.

I agree I've said repeatedly everyone is getting paid and everyone knows it.

If tomorrow it comes out Under Armour paid Moses Brown to go to UCLA, I won't be surprised, and I won't spend months defending it and insisting the coaches didn't know etc. Alford recruited Naz Reid, Alford recruited Bowen, I know they talked to Dawkins about Bowen.

Yes Dawkins is not a good guy but I just find it extremely difficult to believe that what he apparently said in this story is just a lie and him trying to make a name for himself. He literally chose a trial and a sentence over setting up the very guys he's now talking about in the HBO movie apparently. If he was all about himself he could have set up Miller and Pitino, let them get caught and then walked away.

I strongly believe the kids should be getting something, just wait and see the financial impact of no tournament and quite possibly a delayed start next year. it's a huge industry. The only ones not getting anything out of it are the kids.

FYI as for real basketball news, there was some claim on a UCLA site that even Koloko is considering going pro this year? He surprised the hell out of me this year I thought he was way in over his head at Arizona, but that said he'd be nuts to turn pro. WIth everything going it's quite likely the NBA and G League seasons are delayed, a guy like him would be crazy to not stay in college and work on his game and his education now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sounds like the Big-3 (err 2.5) are leaving and we’ll rely on transfers. This will probably the season that Arizona will move from Miller after...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sounds like the Big-3 (err 2.5) are leaving and we’ll rely on transfers. This will probably the season that Arizona will move from Miller after...

Then why not just move on from Miller now?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Heeke just signed an extension. He is signed through 2023.

That’s exactly why it goes deeper than Heeke. Robbins is a well liked president but he’s loyal to a fault. With a bad season likely upcoming plus sanctions I think there will be a clearer path to move on.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That’s exactly why it goes deeper than Heeke. Robbins is a well liked president but he’s loyal to a fault. With a bad season likely upcoming plus sanctions I think there will be a clearer path to move on.

The boosters need to get the point across to Robbins that the damage is already done. A housecleaning of our athletic department is in order, and actually long overdue.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The boosters need to get the point across to Robbins that the damage is already done. A housecleaning of our athletic department is in order, and actually long overdue.
Feel free to cut a check and let them know.

The overall apathy is the issue here both with football and basketball. Ticket sales revenues and donations are way down plus the usual crappy Pac-12 revenue stream makes any big move nearly impossible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a story on BRO yesterday that had interviews with cronin. In it he suggested they're being told by the NCAA that EVERYTHING is on hold, not just the proposed transfer rule changes, but everything. He didn't say it since UCLA isn't involved but I got the impression that means even things like NCAA investigations and punishments are on hold because they can't do business as usual, they don't know if/when there will be a season, so they're operating under assumptions things might be held up.

So even if you strongly believe UA will get sanctions it's entirely possible they could be delayed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nnaji declaring for the draft despite obviously needing another year in school. The program is about to implode...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with declaring this year is apparently the NBA has already cancelled the pre draft camps they normally have and are likely going to cancel the combine and pre draft workouts, all due to Covid 19. So once a kid declares this year it's not clear how he's going to get much feedback to tell him stay in or go back to school. In past years I always wanted kids on the fence to declare figuring they'd get more accurate info from the NBA than from agents, but this year I have no idea what info they will get. There's been some talk players might literally rent out gyms and do private workouts and send tapes to NBA teams, but still hard to see. So my guess is if a kid declares this year it's more than likely he'll stay in the draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem with declaring this year is apparently the NBA has already cancelled the pre draft camps they normally have and are likely going to cancel the combine and pre draft workouts, all due to Covid 19. So once a kid declares this year it's not clear how he's going to get much feedback to tell him stay in or go back to school. In past years I always wanted kids on the fence to declare figuring they'd get more accurate info from the NBA than from agents, but this year I have no idea what info they will get. There's been some talk players might literally rent out gyms and do private workouts and send tapes to NBA teams, but still hard to see. So my guess is if a kid declares this year it's more than likely he'll stay in the draft.

Yup, and given how much Nnaji's play fell off as the conference season progressed, and that his last game saw him getting absolutely dominated by a fellow power forward prospect whose stock had been falling, this tells me that Nnaji wants out of Tucson at all costs, regardless of draft position. Things in Tucson are about to get very ugly, as in far uglier than the post-Lute-Olson mess from 2007-2010.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, and given how much Nnaji's play fell off as the conference season progressed, and that his last game saw him getting absolutely dominated by a fellow power forward prospect whose stock had been falling, this tells me that Nnaji wants out of Tucson at all costs, regardless of draft position. Things in Tucson are about to get very ugly, as in far uglier than the post-Lute-Olson mess from 2007-2010.

I don't see how anybody can make a judgement in the current situation. Weak draft, season ending cancelled, no idea about workouts etc. And no guarantee we're going to have a full college season, or season at all next year. I think it's quite likely some will declare and hire an agent so they can get money.

If Koloko leaves then maybe I buy into people are fleeing Tucson because the program is imploding, right now I think they're just figuring under the circumstances staying in school is risky too.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just lost a priority recruit to Rutgers. The dominoes are falling...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Some kid from NJ that I never heard AZ insiders mention. Maybe he’s thinking of ASU which was only one of the three schools he visited.

The only players Arizona is still in on are Ziaire Williams and Kerwin Walton. I’m guessing Williams goes to Stanford.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Cliff Omoruyi, and yes ASU leapfrogged us into second for his services. We have one standard recruit (two, if you could the unconventional Ben Mathurin) coming here in a year where we have at least 7 scholarships available. The program is falling apart.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Perhaps, but the damage has been done, it appears to be irreversible, and Coach Miller isn't winning anymore even in years he gets top notch recruiting classes. It's time for a fresh start.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Perhaps, but the damage has been done, it appears to be irreversible, and Coach Miller isn't winning anymore even in years he gets top notch recruiting classes. It's time for a fresh start.

I was thinking had the FBI stuff never happened it still wouldn’t mean his job is safe based on the underperforming. I thought we were trending south before that.

If Book got away with whatever he was doing maybe we land Nassir Little and Bol Bol who were both busts in college. Might’ve even been worse for Miller had he had a couple more 5* that underachieved. Funny how things work.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking had the FBI stuff never happened it still wouldn’t mean his job is safe based on the underperforming. I thought we were trending south before that.

If Book got away with whatever he was doing maybe we land Nassir Little and Bol Bol who were both busts in college. Might’ve even been worse for Miller had he had a couple more 5* that underachieved. Funny how things work.
Bol bol wasn’t a busy. His numbers were amazing. He got injured.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose