Henry Ruggs III

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You keep saying the same thing repeatedly, like it’s going to change our minds. I get it... You want them to improve the oline as do I, just not with unproven rookies that are difficult at best to project like QBs.

And your same inane argument continues to center on K1 getting injured, which hasn’t happened yet since he’s quicker than the 11 trying to catch him at every level.

I’d much rather grab game breaking speed and athleticism at outside WR that loosens up the defense and make it easier to get the ball out quickly to all of these playmakers underneath than running Fitz, Kirk, and the rest of the 2020 misfits out there again for more 12 and 21 personnel.

Let’s light the fuse and watch the scoreboard explode!
Pro Bowl and elite offensive line talent rarely makes it to the open market.

I'm gonna keep harping on this, I don't have anything better to do. Drafting a WR, especially Ruggs, at #8, would be the dumbest thing this team could do, and would continue to prove Keim just wants to be the smartest guy in the room as opposed to actually winning games.

You want to play Madden. Sorry, gonna be rude about this one. We have tons of WR talent, and our OL and defense suck.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's a difference between "pocket passer" and strategically asking your QB to create something from nothing.

If you're going to focus on "vintage Russ," please tell me which elite, 1st round WRs the guy had. He won the Super Bowl with Golden Tate and freaking Doug Baldwin getting less than a thousand yards. He returned to the Super Bowl with Doug Baldwin again under 900 yards, and the next guy at less than 600. Never did he have a 1000 yard receiver, never did he need four.

You know what he did have? A dominant ground game, led by a star center in Max Unger, a two-time Pro Bowler in Russel Okung, a first round guard in James Carpenter, and solid offensive line play all around. Plus a dominant defense.

Seattle was run-first with Lynch and Wilson and relied on its defense. I was really only comparing K1 and RW as far as dual threat capability.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Seattle was run-first with Lynch and Wilson and relied on its defense. I was really only comparing K1 and RW as far as dual threat capability.
Yeah, and RW didn't have to run for his life because of it. You're literally advocating for him to run away more and stack up at WR in a case where there's no precedent. Is it exciting football? Sure. Winning football? No.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, and RW didn't have to run for his life because of it. You're literally advocating for him to run away more and stack up at WR in a case where there's no precedent. Is it exciting football? Sure. Winning football? No.

Having elite WRs spreads the defense. We had an awful line in 2009 but Warner had Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston as targets. It's not like K1 will be running up the gut. He just needs the OTs to chip enough for him to use his 4.3 speed to pick up first downs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Having elite WRs spreads the defense. We had an awful line in 2009 but Warner had Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston as targets. It's not like K1 will be running up the gut. He just needs the OTs to chip enough for him to use his 4.3 speed to pick up first downs.
We already have elite WRs, or better than most. Breaston was a 5th round pick who emerged. Breaston was less talented than Christian Kirk, but did just fine when all of the focus was on Fitz and Boldin, like it will be now with Fitz and Hopkins.

Please, name me a winning team that is succeeding because of the major investment in WRs that we're talking about the Cardinals making here.

There aren't any. This would be the dumbest allocation of resources for a guy who will be on the field under 50% of the time.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still can’t believe folks want to go WR in round 1 like lmao Jesus

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Russ is not a runner, what he does is extend plays

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This . Early on they had a great defense. When Wilson’s time came to get paid the Seahawks had to start to let some of their offensive line walk... and they still keep winning.

I wonder what number we’re going to assign Ruggs?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still can’t believe folks want to go WR in round 1 like lmao Jesus

Tell that to K1. He wants Lamb. OL would make sense if Rosen were still the QB or we were running >50% of snaps. We're probably not getting Young, Simmons, or Okudah so my guess is it's WR at #8 or a trade down for WR and defense.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell that to K1. He wants Lamb. OL would make sense if Rosen were still the QB or we were running >50% of snaps. We're probably not getting Young, Simmons, or Okudah so my guess is it's WR at #8 or a trade down for WR and defense.
Would be awesome if the Browns or Jets wanted to move up.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
I already told K1, he's cool with it now. I showed him film of the 9ers D-line, Aaron Donald twice a year, and all the other D-linemen that have had our QB's running for their lives since the history of this franchise. Dont worry, he's on board with OT.

Also last i checked K1 is a QB, not GM. Maybe he got a promotion this offseason, but i don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I already told K1, he's cool with it now. I showed him film of the 9ers D-line, Aaron Donald twice a year, and all the other D-linemen that have had our QB's running for their lives since the history of this franchise. Dont worry, he's on board with OT.

Also last i checked K1 is a QB, not GM. Maybe he got a promotion this offseason, but i don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Is the OT we draft at #8 going to supplant Gilbert or Murray? Or slide over to back up Humphries? Why did Keim re-sign the OL if he was uncomfortable with it? We had the #7 offense by the end of the season. OL was a big part of that. The biggest problem last year was our defense.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Is the OT we draft at #8 going to supplant Gilbert or Murray? Or slide over to back up Humphries? Why did Keim re-sign the OL if he was uncomfortable with it? We had the #7 offense by the end of the season. OL was a big part of that. The biggest problem last year was our defense.
Either? You really feel excited about counting on a guy on his sixth team, or a guy who has been consistently hurt, year after year after year?

If we were already the #7 offense "by the end of the season" (I'd love to know what arbitrary games you're pulling this from by the way, and not just counting on us to beat up on the Browns weekly), why do you think we need to add a 1st round receiver to run go routes as our #3 or #4?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Elite sack-avoider Russell Wilson has been sacked 347 times... 106 times the last two years combined including playoffs. He gets his brains beat in.
It's a freaking miracle he hasn't gotten critically injured. I think people tend to gloss over it and ignore how lucky he's been. Plus he's had some years where he really struggles. Sooner rather than later, I anticipate we'll see a sharp decline from some nagging hits. The one year he was really beaten up, he gutted it out, but that damage will come back soon.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's a freaking miracle he hasn't gotten critically injured. I think people tend to gloss over it and ignore how lucky he's been. Plus he's had some years where he really struggles. Sooner rather than later, I anticipate we'll see a sharp decline from some nagging hits. The one year he was really beaten up, he gutted it out, but that damage will come back soon.

He drinks Holy water or something.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If you knew Ruggs was the next Tyreek Hill, would you still pass on him with the 8 th pick?

I always regarded Ruggs as ‘#3’ of the big three. But he appears more than just a fast guy. I don’t know about his route tree but besides blinding speed he has good hands...and big one too.

So back to the original question. If you knew Ruggs was the next Tyreek Hill would you still pass on him with the 8 the pick?

Riggs, Becton and Kinlaw all could be the shiat or a bust for their respective selection that early... the Cards do not have to roll those dice on those potential guys, be smart by not trying to appear smart :raccoon:

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Either? You really feel excited about counting on a guy on his sixth team, or a guy who has been consistently hurt, year after year after year?

If we were already the #7 offense "by the end of the season" (I'd love to know what arbitrary games you're pulling this from by the way, and not just counting on us to beat up on the Browns weekly), why do you think we need to add a 1st round receiver to run go routes as our #3 or #4?

Keim thought they were good enough to bring back. It would be nice to redshirt the #8 pick but I don't think that's likely given how many holes we still have. We really don't have a #2 WR. Kirk had only 3 TDs, and all came against the Bucs in week 7.

I think the reliance on quick slants, screens, etc. was less a function of a poor OL and more to do with a rookie QB and inadequate skill players. Drake was the only consistent producer. OL certainly helped there.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Elite sack-avoider Russell Wilson has been sacked 347 times... 106 times the last two years combined including playoffs. He gets his brains beat in.

More time is always nice, but K1 and RW buy extra time with their legs. They're at their best on the move. They don't need a clean pocket because they aren't stepping into the pocket too much anyway. Both are going to take sacks playing that way but having legit weapons who can get in space will help. It is concerning for long-term health, but you can't say it hasn't been successful for Seattle.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keim thought they were good enough to bring back. It would be nice to redshirt the #8 pick but I don't think that's likely given how many holes we still have. We really don't have a #2 WR. Kirk had only 3 TDs, and all came against the Bucs in week 7.

I think the reliance on quick slants, screens, etc. was less a function of a poor OL and more to do with a rookie QB and inadequate skill players. Drake was the only consistent producer. OL certainly helped there.
I don't think it was a terrible idea for Keim to bring them back and let them fight it out. I don't think we have to have an OL player, but I think it should only be between them and defensive choices.

Kirk had some injury problems, but he's been way more than adequate for a #3 receiver, which he now is. XYZ is the better way to look at it, but we're dramatically strong across the board, no matter where we line up. He had 709 yards, which is insane for a guy who is not going to be relied on to be the #1 or #2.

Drake wasn't a consistent producer at all. 3 good games. The rest under 70 yards.

I still can't fathom how you think adding DeAndre Hopkins to this team isn't enough of an upgrade at WR. Are you missing Byrd/Sherfield/Cooper that much? Hop is like dropping the hammer down on everyone.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

90% of the time Wilson protect himself before being sacked
He has a compact frame, short but well built, much better absorbing hit then taller guys playing his position

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think it was a terrible idea for Keim to bring them back and let them fight it out. I don't think we have to have an OL player, but I think it should only be between them and defensive choices.

Kirk had some injury problems, but he's been way more than adequate for a #3 receiver, which he now is. XYZ is the better way to look at it, but we're dramatically strong across the board, no matter where we line up. He had 709 yards, which is insane for a guy who is not going to be relied on to be the #1 or #2.

Drake wasn't a consistent producer at all. 3 good games. The rest under 70 yards.

I still can't fathom how you think adding DeAndre Hopkins to this team isn't enough of an upgrade at WR. Are you missing Byrd/Sherfield/Cooper that much? Hop is like dropping the hammer down on everyone.

So Fitz is the #2? And when he retires, who then? Cross that bridge when we get to it? I would prefer defense as well but who will be there at #8?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So Fitz is the #2? And when he retires, who then? Cross that bridge when we get to it? I would prefer defense as well but who will be there at #8?
Why are you worried about crossing the bridge at WR when we have a top WR in the league locked in for multiple years, two 2nd round picks on the roster, and a surefire Hall of Famer?

...As compared to an offensive line comprised of two RTs (one perpetually injured, one on his sixth team) on one year deals, an OG on the last year of his deal, Cs who are completely unproven (one beaten out by a dude in his mid 30s with an ACL tear and the other a 6th round pick), and two guys on the left side who have three whole seasons of healthy play in 11 combined seasons of play?

You want to panic about who might play #2 or #3 WR a year from now?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave