Getting an offensive lineman at #8

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@TheCardFan

Seriously bro..... I think dudes are just going to go right by him until he learns to bend his knees and take a true pass set. Something he did very rarely at Louisville. A team, who even when getting smoked in games, still ran the ball over 50% of the time.

He averaged less than 10 pass sets per game last season and truly has no clue how to do it in the college level let alone in the NFL.

If he doesn't get put on the bench in year one...... I think he gets embarrassed all season.

You can't run by a 6-7/360 OT that is as athletic as he is with good feet.

He is way more athletic than Orlando Brown Jr and he was a pro bowl RT in his 2nd year. You can't teach what he has naturally.

I agree with you that he needs work...every prospect does.

We have an awesome OL coach in Coach Kugler. Let's take advantage of it.

Pretty fair article:

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-mekhi-becton-louisville-first-round/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3...0-offensive-tackle-projection-highlights-film

My top 3 players are Okudah, Simmons, and Becton. These 3 guys have elite traits.

We can play it safe as well. If so, I think Wills is the safest OT prospect and has tons of potential.

I think Becton could start at RT for us this year...maybe RG. After 2 years, I think he could be a replacement for Humphries at LT.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
None of the guys mentioned are as surefire as AP was. AP also wouldn't have been our 4th RB. The argument for any of these OTs being better than any of the WRs is easy to make.

Now, I'm fine for passing on an OT to grab a defensive standout.
AP wasn't sure fire as we passed on him. We need OL more than WRs. Fact.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Truck had its breaks partly on it seemed...like a hella sled? :)
I was just kidding, haha.

AP was dominant in college, but had the injury situation create a little fear. Still, it was clearly apparent that he was a top-tier RB, whereas Brown was the second tackle and not really worth going that high.

But yes, we need OL more than WRs. Definite fact.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You can't run by a 6-7/360 OT that is as athletic as he is with good feet.

He is way more athletic than Orlando Brown Jr and he was a pro bowl RT in his 2nd year. You can't teach what he has naturally.

I agree with you that he needs work...every prospect does.

We have an awesome OL coach in Coach Kugler. Let's take advantage of it.

I vehemently disagree:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ereck-flowers?id=2552452

Other than the 30lbs..... the profile is almost word for word how I feel about Becton.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I vehemently disagree:

Other than the 30lbs..... the profile is almost word for word how I feel about Becton.

How you feel about him but not how the same talent evaluator (Lance Zierlein) describes them.

He compared Ereck Flowers to Anthony Davis.
He compares Becton to Byrant McKinnie.

Becton is bigger and more athletic than Flowers but it also comes down to effort/competitiveness.

Do you have tape that shows your concern? Seriously...I would like to watch it.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

How? K1 had enough time, but no one to throw to. He should get better buying time with his legs and throwing the ball away when no one is there. He's not a traditional pocket passer like Brees or Brady who need a clean pocket. OL is not nearly as important as WRs, and we have a questionable group besides Hopkins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How? K1 had enough time, but no one to throw to. He should get better buying time with his legs and throwing the ball away when no one is there. He's not a traditional pocket passer like Brees or Brady who need a clean pocket. OL is not nearly as important as WRs, and we have a questionable group besides Hopkins.
As pointed out in another thread, K1 was a top-5 rushed QB. Running away is not an offensive strategy, and "buying time with your legs" should be a bonus, not a strategy. The fact you think he needs to get better doing it has to make you think this OL sucks.

We don't have a questionable group, we have arguably the best corps in the league, and a bunch of young kids who should be given a chance to develop.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As pointed out in another thread, K1 was a top-5 rushed QB. Running away is not an offensive strategy, and "buying time with your legs" should be a bonus, not a strategy. The fact you think he needs to get better doing it has to make you think this OL sucks.

We don't have a questionable group, we have arguably the best corps in the league, and a bunch of young kids who should be given a chance to develop.

He held onto the ball too long, didn't throw it away, etc. Common rookie mistakes. Not the OL's fault. He should improve there with experience. We'll have to agree to disagree on the WR corps. Besides Hopkins we have an aging Larry, an injury-prone Kirk, and a lot of unproven picks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He held onto the ball too long, didn't throw it away, etc. Common rookie mistakes. Not the OL's fault. He should improve there with experience. We'll have to agree to disagree on the WR corps. Besides Hopkins we have an aging Larry, an injury-prone Kirk, and a lot of unproven picks.
He held on to the ball too long because he constantly had to break away from pressure coming at him. Go back and watch the games.

You don't end up top five in the league in QB pressures, top five in sacks, while getting blitzed 16th most just because you're a rookie holding onto the ball too long. The pressure was constantly on.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
you mean like our 2003 draft?
We need a stud and if we get past 12, we probably lose getting an impact player or at least the percentages of getting a difference maker. There are six players which would make me happy happy joy joy, no particular order: Wills, Wirfs, Okudah, Simmons, Jeudy or Lamb... I am skeptical of Brown now and Becton or Kinlaw are potential gambles we do not have to take with what will be available :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just checked PFF Mock Draft from earlier this month. They had Ezra Cleveland going as high as 22. Ranked him 4th best behind Wirfs, Thomas and Josh Jones.

We know how Keim loves his PFF....

Been a lot of meetings between Cleveland and the Cardinals.

This could be the guy they are targeting if the they trade down (acquire a 2nd round pick).

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Just checked PFF Mock Draft from earlier this month. They had Ezra Cleveland going as high as 22. Ranked him 4th best behind Wirfs, Thomas and Josh Jones.

This could be the guy they are targeting if the they trade down (acquire a 2nd round pick).

I hope not...that would be idiotic IMO. He is a swing tackle at best for the next 2 years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How you feel about him but not how the same talent evaluator (Lance Zierlein) describes them.

He compared Ereck Flowers to Anthony Davis.
He compares Becton to Byrant McKinnie.

Becton is bigger and more athletic than Flowers but it also comes down to effort/competitiveness.

Do you have tape that shows your concern? Seriously...I would like to watch it.

I think we are seeing the same things differently. Honestly..... there is very few "true pass sets" in any of his stuff online.

Just ask yourself this when you watch..... Is he chopping his steps? Squatting or standing up?

OR..... is he just mauling the guy across from him like Dockett did in High School?

Voch Lombardi's tape works.....

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By biggest concern with Becton is with that size and those freakish athletic traits then why weren’t you better?

he was good but far from dominate and he should of been dominate

Bryant Mckinnie was DOMINATE he didn’t give up a sack his entire career at The U

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's feeling like Lamb and Cleveland.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would agree with 94. Don't drop yourself right out of the elite tier.

The more and more tape I'm watching, Jedrick Wills is absolutely amazing. The other guys have their warts. Thomas has fewer than Wirfs or Becton. Wirfs is an athlete, but has average technique and gets beaten. Becton has no technique at all, just dominating size. He throws people around but his tech bears no resemblance to good form.

Wills is nearly flawless, reminds me of Quentin Nelson's tape from the previous year.

The only way I'd take a receiver at 8 is if Simmons and Wills were both gone.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Does that mean if Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailoa are available, Cardinals should take them?

The simple answer is yes. However, for arguments sage, given your hypothetical situation. If the consensus #1 overall pick and franchise QB happens to fall to #8, we would have multiple teams willing to give up a kings ransom to move up and draft him. You trade back and then draft your OL

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never heard or read about one hating him, what I've read is that he plays too stiff, doesn't have great bending techniques. I do know this about him. He played against the best DL's in all of college football in the SEC. That being said, Alabama OL'men haven't been world beaters in the NFL for whatever reason? A few have but not many. It may just be a system thing? Maybe they played better collectively as a unit & not as much individuality? Iowa for whatever reason always produces top notch OL'men. That's not to say Wirfs is better than Wills, I have no idea really. I think unless the player we absolutely covet is there at #8, or Simmons, we try & trade down. Get the 2nd round pick back possibly, then take the BPA. WR, OT, DL etc etc. Derrick Brown would also be a nice choice but if we trade down, he will be gone. Highly unlikely we take him after signing Phillips. This draft will be interesting for sure. I'm ready for it.

I have posted it a couple times and Harry says the same thing. Most scouts don't have Wills as a 1st round talent. Being stiff, not bending well, and being a Bama offensive tackle push him down compared to guys with much higher upside.

Wills represents big floor (Alabama OT busts) combined with limited ceiling. He is tackle #4 to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose