Getting an offensive lineman at #8

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's unlikely because it's defense & we just signed a high priced player at his position. We all know how much KK wants 4 elite WR's to play 10 personnel more, drafting a WR in the first round is a lot more likely. KK is known for offense & that will win out in most scenarios. If Larry was only 28 i wouldn't be saying this lol. I'm all for Derrick Brown trust me, he's the guy I've wanted all along, just don't think it will happen. I also think Simmons is a no brainer, too much talent to pass up.

Every coach wants elite players at every position... I see the Jordan Phillips signing as another reason we should draft Brown. Neither guy is Aaron Donald but together they could change the entire defenses’ ceiling and maybe extend CJ’s prime.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Some people get confused on the long road leading up to the draft. There are 4 OT prospects in this class that are legit blue chip prospects. Those big 4 OTs are easy top 8 choices in most draft classes. Just happened that all 4 fell into the same class and could drop further than they would in other years. Let's not act as if Wirfs or Wills are frequently mocked to us just because we have such a glaring hole at OT/RT. These guys are all legit top 10 selections and fit the BPA approach.

Btw let's think about it for a second: an UDFA journeyman (6th team already) who filled in nicely down the stretch but still below average and an injury-prone washed up vet on his last leg, both on 1 year deals, aren't keeping us away from picking OL in the 1st - let alone a blue chip caliber OT.

We made smart FA moves that enable us to go BPA regardless of position. Imo odds are decent that one of the OTs is the BPA when we are on the clock. We could still draft Lamb or Brown who are elite prospects in their own right. But let's not act as if predicting OT at 8 is a reach to fill positional need. Any of the 4 OTs should be excellent at RT for years to come. Screw the RT, ILB, OG or S aren't important talk. Especially on OL an elite player can make a huge difference, no matter left or right.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1a. Thomas & 1b. Wills <-- these are the two NFL ready tackles. One LT and one RT. Both can be plugged in now.

3. Wirfs is a highly skilled and well coached prospect. He needs a ton of coaching with his balance and arm work.

4. Jones - Workmanlike. Middle of the road 1st round OT. Has the ability to atleast not get roasted right away.

5. Becton is a complete disaster of technique and wouldn't even be considered unless he had the measureables he has. He will get roasted IMO and wont start next season unless that team is desperate.

6. Jackson - 50-50 bust rate here. Probably a lifelong Justin Murray clone.

All the other tackle prospects in this draft have dumpster fire written all over them.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1a. Thomas & 1b. Wills <-- these are the two NFL ready tackles. One LT and one RT. Both can be plugged in now.

3. Wirfs is a highly skilled and well coached prospect. He needs a ton of coaching with his balance and arm work.

4. Jones - Workmanlike. Middle of the road 1st round OT. Has the ability to atleast not get roasted right away.

5. Becton is a complete disaster of technique and wouldn't even be considered unless he had the measureables he has. He will get roasted IMO and wont start next season unless that team is desperate.

6. Jackson - 50-50 bust rate here. Probably a lifelong Justin Murray clone.

All the other tackle prospects in this draft have dumpster fire written all over them.
Niang is a lot better than Jackson.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can’t believe Austin Jackson was getting round 1 hype at one point.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

hip injury

why do you keep ignoring this. No way I’m drafting any player with a suspect hip in the first 2 rounds especially a guy that big

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Could be true. I see his floor higher but his ceiling lower.

Jackson cant play guard IMO. Niang could. And very well for that matter if his hip hold up. Which may happen with the less movement in that position.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If people want Wirfs so we can plug him in at guard for the next 10 years...fine.

Picking him up as a RT is a wasted pick. Dude is super athletic but inconsistent and never dominated the way his combine numbers say he should.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If people want Wirfs so we can plug him in at guard for the next 10 years...fine.

Picking him up as a RT is a wasted pick. Dude is super athletic but inconsistent and never dominated the way his combine numbers say he should.

It's not fine. You should never pick a guard in the top 10, especially in a draft where there are still very good players available at premier positions.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Some people get confused on the long road leading up to the draft. There are 4 OT prospects in this class that are legit blue chip prospects. Those big 4 OTs are easy top 8 choices in most draft classes. Just happened that all 4 fell into the same class and could drop further than they would in other years. Let's not act as if Wirfs or Wills are frequently mocked to us just because we have such a glaring hole at OT/RT. These guys are all legit top 10 selections and fit the BPA approach.

Btw let's think about it for a second: an UDFA journeyman (6th team already) who filled in nicely down the stretch but still below average and an injury-prone washed up vet on his last leg, both on 1 year deals, aren't keeping us away from picking OL in the 1st - let alone a blue chip caliber OT.

We made smart FA moves that enable us to go BPA regardless of position. Imo odds are decent that one of the OTs is the BPA when we are on the clock. We could still draft Lamb or Brown who are elite prospects in their own right. But let's not act as if predicting OT at 8 is a reach to fill positional need. Any of the 4 OTs should be excellent at RT for years to come. Screw the RT, ILB, OG or S aren't important talk. Especially on OL an elite player can make a huge difference, no matter left or right.
Thank you.

People keep bringing up this Levi Brown thing, and it's nowhere near the same thing. These players are definitely in the discussion being BPA over the discussed receivers and such. They might go before them as is.

It's just people being obsessed with the sexy picks that show up on the stat sheet.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's not fine. You should never pick a guard in the top 10, especially in a draft where there are still very good players available at premier positions.

Quenton Nelson and Brandon Scherff say hold my beer.

I would take both.

My point before was Wirfs is not a tackle.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quenton Nelson and Brandon Scherff say hold my beer.

I would take both.

My point before was Wirfs is not a tackle.

In a freaking heart beat!!

nelson stays healthy he might be the best ever at his position

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
@TheCardFan

Seriously bro..... I think dudes are just going to go right by him until he learns to bend his knees and take a true pass set. Something he did very rarely at Louisville. A team, who even when getting smoked in games, still ran the ball over 50% of the time.

He averaged less than 10 pass sets per game last season and truly has no clue how to do it in the college level let alone in the NFL.

If he doesn't get put on the bench in year one...... I think he gets embarrassed all season.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Thank you.

People keep bringing up this Levi Brown thing, and it's nowhere near the same thing. These players are definitely in the discussion being BPA over the discussed receivers and such. They might go before them as is.

It's just people being obsessed with the sexy picks that show up on the stat sheet.
No, we just sat there in a state of disbelief as we chose bad, bad Levi Brown over AP and never want the see that again.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One thing is for sure...... He has a great PR team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I hope he's drafted into the NFC West. I will either have to eat my words..... or Chandler gets to eat his lunch for years to come.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No, we just sat there in a state of disbelief as we chose bad, bad Levi Brown over AP and never want the see that again.
None of the guys mentioned are as surefire as AP was. AP also wouldn't have been our 4th RB. The argument for any of these OTs being better than any of the WRs is easy to make.

Now, I'm fine for passing on an OT to grab a defensive standout.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave