Marcus Gilbert re-signed

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
K2 & Keim made it clear that he was the best O-Lineman in camp last year. If he's at a minimum salary with incentives..... who can argue with this?

I really think we are drafting Lamb now.
Anyone who thinks our WR situation is dire or worth investing a 1st round pick in because Larry *might* retire, or Kirk *might* not prove to be a #2, should be way more worried that the future at RT, RG, and C is: two guys on one year deals (one who can't stay healthy, one who can't stay on a team), a guy with one more year on his deal, and a camp competition between 2-3 guys who are completely unproven.

I hate to be the sky is falling guy, but this is a bizarre situation for your young QB. 3 years into his career, it looks like we're going to try to rebuild 3/5ths of his offensive line on free agent scraps, if we don't pick a talented lineman this year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gilbert’s durability is a concern for sure. I am sure the contract has some kind of playing time clause in it. Let he and Murray fight for the RT spot all camp/preseason and at worst the OL is where it was to end the season—at best he stays healthy and the OL play improves.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would still take an OT if that is the best player at 8. As I have said before pretty much every player on the line that is projected to be a starter could be gone after this season.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Every time I think about drafting a DL with our 1st pick I get Nkem flashbacks.

Anyone else gun shy about this?

Or do I have SK draft derangement syndrome?

You have Keim derangement syndrome. I was diagnosed with it a couple years ago after the Reddick pick. The Murray pick evidently put it in remission but the doctor said it could return after this draft. I'm nervous.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brown or Wirfs.

nah Beckon over Wirfs

Last edited:

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
If we could possibly drop down 2-4 spots and pick up a second rounder, I think it would be ideal. I would then draft a wr (hopefully Lamb) in the first round and then target Ezra Cleveland in the second round. He is my favorite Offensive Tackle in this draft. I believe that he will shock a lot of people and be a steal for an NFL team, hopefully the Cardinals!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks our WR situation is dire or worth investing a 1st round pick in because Larry *might* retire, or Kirk *might* not prove to be a #2, should be way more worried that the future at RT, RG, and C is: two guys on one year deals (one who can't stay healthy, one who can't stay on a team), a guy with one more year on his deal, and a camp competition between 2-3 guys who are completely unproven.

I hate to be the sky is falling guy, but this is a bizarre situation for your young QB. 3 years into his career, it looks like we're going to try to rebuild 3/5ths of his offensive line on free agent scraps, if we don't pick a talented lineman this year.
I hear you Solar but there's always FA in 2021. We'll still have Pugh & Humphries at that point. Cole also. Who's to say we can't find some quality linemen in the 2nd (providing we trade down) & 3rd or 4th rd next month? It can happen bro, have a little faith.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

These issues are common to every team. What team has every starter covered by a guy in the peak of his career on a multi year reasonable contract. The alarmist in your posts leads me to believe that’s what you think exists as a norm in the league. It’s mad, man. Just mad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It means no RT, possible trade down or BPA. I've said it many times. We can get by in 2020 with Justin Murray & Marcus Gilbert at RT. Didn't know for sure we would resign Gilbert when I first said it but I mentioned the possibility. If he can even get to 75% of his pro bowl form it will be great.

Before all these tackle signings I wouldn't have minded drafting a tackle that could eventually play left tackle. Still don't think it's a bad idea.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
On October 11, 2012, Gilbert went down clutching his knee and was carted off the field during the second quarter of a 26-23 loss to the Tennessee Titans. On November 26, 2012, Gilbert was placed on injured reserve with torn tendons in his ankle that he suffered during Week 5 against the Titans. His season was held to five starts due to this injury.

On October 20, 2014, Gilbert suffered a concussion and left during the second quarter of 30-23 victory over the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football. He was ruled out for the next game against the Indianapolis Colts. He was limited to 12 starts in 2014 after he missed Weeks 13, 14, and 15 after suffering an ankle injury during practice and was replaced by Mike Adams for those three games.

He started the first four games of the season and injured his ankle during a Week 4 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs. He missed the next three games but was able to return in time for Week 7 contest against the New England Patriots.

On September 17, 2017, Gilbert suffered a hamstring injury during a 26-9 victory over the Minnesota Vikings. He missed Weeks 3-5 due to the injury and led to Chris Hubbard starting at right tackle in his absence. He returned on October 15, 2017, but left the game after reinjuring his hamstring during a 19-13 win against the Kansas City Chiefs. Gilbert missed the next two games after suffering the setback. On November 20, 2017, Gilbert was suspended for four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substance.

Gilbert started five of the first six games before missing Weeks 8–14 with a knee injury. He was ultimately placed on injured reserve on December 15, 2018.

On March 8, 2019, the Steelers agreed to trade Gilbert to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for a compensatory sixth round pick. The deal became official on March 13, 2019. He was placed on injured reserve on September 10, 2019 with a knee injury.

You must be registered for see images attach

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These issues are common to every team. What team has every starter covered by a guy in the peak of his career on a multi year reasonable contract. The alarmist in your posts leads me to believe that’s what you think exists as a norm in the league. It’s mad, man. Just mad.
Yeah, even though the Cards have addressed almost every weakness on the team to some degree, @Solar7 still seems to be of the mindset that every position must be brought up to the same level of depth all in this offseason.

As i and a number of people have argued multiple times (previously in the context of Okudah possibly being available), Keim and all of us should have the mindset of being in year 2 of a 3-year rebuild. Every position doesn't have to be great this season. If the Cards really love one of the top WRs this year and WR becomes a very strong/deep position while OL remains thin, that's OK - OL can be addressed next offseason.

...dave

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sometimes I make the mistake of thinking that people are reading every post on the forum and are following those arguments. Last night, I had long discussions with other posters who feel that we need to take Lamb because Larry is soon to retire, and because our receivers are uncomfortably shallow.

I want to draft an offensive lineman to protect our young QB, since we don't really have any immediate or long term help, as opposed to a 3rd or 4th WR. Does that make more sense?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, even though the Cards have addressed almost every weakness on the team to some degree, @Solar7 still seems to be of the mindset that every position must be brought up to the same level of depth all in this offseason.

As i and a number of people have argued multiple times (previously in the context of Okudah possibly being available), Keim and all of us should have the mindset of being in year 2 of a 3-year rebuild. Every position doesn't have to be great this season. If the Cards really love one of the top WRs this year and WR becomes a very strong/deep position while OL remains thin, that's OK - OL can be addressed next offseason.

...dave
I don't think you understand where I'm going with this if you think that I think everything should be "brought up to the same level of depth."

We entered the offseason in critical distress at many positions - where we had holes where there either wasn't a player at all, or the player set in that spot had played minimal snaps and never started more than an emergency game or two.

But that said, OL can't remain thin - we need to protect our QB. If you're cool with risking the player that is literally our #1 asset for some more flashy plays, I don't know what to tell you.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Before all these tackle signings I wouldn't have minded drafting a tackle that could eventually play left tackle. Still don't think it's a bad idea.
At this point it could be BPA? Still may be a Tackle? We have no idea which of the 5 that SK will have rated the highest? If his top 2 get picked before #8.........? If they don't.........? If Simmons is there at #8 you almost can't pass him up. If Simmons is gone & the top tackle on our board is also, I think we should just trade down, try to get a 2nd in the trade, then take the BPA. Whether that is a WR or OL. I like the direction we've went so far. When Gilbert was healthy playing for the Steelers, he was a top 5-10 OT. Who's to say he won't stay healthy? History says he won't but our offensive system seemed to cure Humphries injury problems last season, maybe it will cure Gilbert's? He just had a freak injury during training camp last season. If Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs is there after a trade, taking any of the 3 wouldn't be a bad deal really. Imagine teams trying to stop Hopkins, Larry, Kirk & one of those 3? In my mind, that would be an absolute nightmare if I was a DC. Most teams only have 2 elite like corners & some aren't really elite even, just starters that think they are lol. Blitz us, then Drake leaks out of the backfield or Dan Arnold runs a quick back shoulder fade pattern. Not to mention blitzing can create running lanes for Kyler. Our offense is gonna score points in 2020, we scored enough in several games as it was in 2019 to get several more wins. The defense just couldn't get the stops needed. FA shored some of the defensive problems up. Now VJ just needs to keep the defensive assignments simple, just like he did in the last 4 games of 2019. Stop the TE's also. I know, big task there lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think you understand where I'm going with this if you think that I think everything should be "brought up to the same level of depth."

We entered the offseason in critical distress at many positions - where we had holes where there either wasn't a player at all, or the player set in that spot had played minimal snaps and never started more than an emergency game or two.

But that said, OL can't remain thin - we need to protect our QB. If you're cool with risking the player that is literally our #1 asset for some more flashy plays, I don't know what to tell you.
It may very well end up being an OT solar. We have no idea which ones are highest on SK's draft board. We're just guessing & wishing for whoever. What if the top OT on our board is drafted before #8? Should we just pick the next best tackle to say "ok, we now have one"? BPA or trade down at that point from our board to maximize this teams chances & depth imo. You may end up getting your wish for an OT or you may not? We just don't know what our draft board looks like or SK's thoughts at this point. For me, a whole lot of his picks the last several yrs has sucked total arse. Maybe, just maybe he's hell bent on fixing this team this yr, using a different philosophy than the one he used before? People can learn from their mistakes. I like all the things he's done so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose