I know this draft is seen as loaded at WR

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You forgot Keesean Johnson. And our WR room is better than 85% of the NFL. With the 3 returnees from last season and Hop, Fitz and kirk we are fine. Nobody can predict injuries and you cant worry about it.[/QUOTE

You mean that Kessean who was the preseason stud who couldn’t get on the field for a majority of the year. Fitz is Fitz but a shell of his former greatness. Jury is still out on Kirk being a solid #2 WR to me. All the others are complete ???? Our supposed speed WR can’t get on the field much so we have no one that strikes fear into the defensive secondary with speed like Hill from KC. Maybe Ruggs is that guy. Maybe Lamb or Juedy is the best fit. I think its being naive to rule out a WR.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I completely get what you are saying, but I think our situation is a little different in that we have Larry, who could retire as early as next year...and then we have essentially a bunch of rookies (Isabella, Butler, Johnson)

Kirk is a good player when healthy, and we all hope he becomes a legit #2 at some point, but right now he is probably best as a #3 slot guy. Here is another weird thought, he is only under contract for 2 more years. Let's all hope he has a great year and resigning him becomes a forgone conclusion, but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm going to leave Larry out of this because he could be here 3 more years, he could be here 1 more year we dont know.

We have
Hopkins (I'm assuming we give him a new deal) = 5 years
Kirk = 2 years....lots of injuries
Isabella = not impactful next year
Butler = who knows
Johnson = couldn't get on the field by the end of the year
Sherfield = good special teams guy but not a great WR.

Wouldn't it be nice to grab a legit #2 WR and have him on a pretty cheap contract to pair with Hopkins....making Larry and Kirk icing on the cake instead of needing them to carry a room?

At this point, I am most in favor of a trade down from #8....but I could live with Lamb or Ruggs in the 1st round.

If we go another direction at #8....I REALLY like Michael Pittman Jr in round 3. I think he could be a really good WR#2 (kind of what Michael Floyd was when he was on...or what he was supposed to be).

Thank you for eloquently making my argument for a WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Everyone is saying our WR is set right now, really? I mean you sure? Like do you see what we have if Hopkins God forbids gets hurt. We have Kirk who gets hurt often or disappears for stretches, Larry who is great but a step away from retirement and then Isabella who for whatever reason could not get on the field and a question mark in Butler... that's scary
If Hopkins gets hurt we have... last year's WR corps? Unless you think Damiere Byrd and Trent Sherfield were irreplaceable talents (they weren't). How is that more scary than starting a 5-time cut at OT?

Sure we have Hopkins. Once Larry retires, we have zero WRs that put fear in any defense. Hopkins will be double teamed all game. I don’t see what is so bizarre about adding a strong WR this draft. Larry is Larry but not the same. Kirk is hot and cold, and a third WR at best. Isabella, Butler, and Johnson are completely unproven and may never rise above option 4/5/6. Ideally trade down a bit, get one of the top WRs, pick up a 2nd rounder and get a very sold OL / DL or LB. Kliff is an offensive minded coach so I believe they will always try and keep that side of the ball dynamic.
Also Hopkins turns 28 this season. We get 3-4 years in his prime AND have Lamb, Juedy, or Ruggs on a rookie contract and reaching their prime when Hopkins heads into his early 30’s.
Once Larry retires. When Hopkins exits his prime. Not right now. They're not exterminating the WR position. All of the young WRs are unproven, and guess what? So are Lamb and Jeudy. The past half decade of top 15 receivers has been godawful. You're moving on to another unknown.

I completely get what you are saying, but I think our situation is a little different in that we have Larry, who could retire as early as next year...and then we have essentially a bunch of rookies (Isabella, Butler, Johnson)

Kirk is a good player when healthy, and we all hope he becomes a legit #2 at some point, but right now he is probably best as a #3 slot guy. Here is another weird thought, he is only under contract for 2 more years. Let's all hope he has a great year and resigning him becomes a forgone conclusion, but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm going to leave Larry out of this because he could be here 3 more years, he could be here 1 more year we dont know.

We have
Hopkins (I'm assuming we give him a new deal) = 5 years
Kirk = 2 years....lots of injuries
Isabella = not impactful next year
Butler = who knows
Johnson = couldn't get on the field by the end of the year
Sherfield = good special teams guy but not a great WR.

Wouldn't it be nice to grab a legit #2 WR and have him on a pretty cheap contract to pair with Hopkins....making Larry and Kirk icing on the cake instead of needing them to carry a room?

At this point, I am most in favor of a trade down from #8....but I could live with Lamb or Ruggs in the 1st round.

If we go another direction at #8....I REALLY like Michael Pittman Jr in round 3. I think he could be a really good WR#2 (kind of what Michael Floyd was when he was on...or what he was supposed to be).
All of what you're saying sounds great until Kyler ends up hurt because his OL sucks.

Honestly guys, do we really feel like Justin Murray is our starting right tackle of the future? A group of five guys who will never even get a Pro Bowl alternate is what we want in front of our #1 overall QB?

Top offensive linemen don't become available, and if they do, they are wildly expensive. There aren't NFL teams winning with elite overpaid WRs. There are with well drafted offensive linemen that are elite.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There’s unknown with every rookie. And yes, Lamb, Juedy, or Ruggs May not pan out, but you can say the same for many other top picks. I won’t be disappointed if we go OL, Simmons, Okudah, or Brown rather than a WR, they all will help. Having flexibility will be nice

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There’s unknown with every rookie. And yes, Lamb, Juedy, or Ruggs May not pan out, but you can say the same for many other top picks. I won’t be disappointed if we go OL, Simmons, Okudah, or Brown rather than a WR, they all will help. Having flexibility will be nice
It's an awfully bad idea to take a risk at a spot where you're already proven rather than one where you desperately need help.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Understood, but I wouldn’t call our WRs proven across the board. Lots of ????? From WRs 2-7. I hope we can make a trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder. Get that OL and another top player first two rounds. Hopefully one of the young WRs breaks out this year, if not 2021 will need a top WR. Who knows, KK and SK may think that the 2021 WR class is not as good as this year and decide to take the plunge now

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Understood, but I wouldn’t call our WRs proven across the board. Lots of ????? From WRs 2-7. I hope we can make a trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder. Get that OL and another top player first two rounds. Hopefully one of the young WRs breaks out this year, if not 2021 will need a top WR. Who knows, KK and SK may think that the 2021 WR class is not as good as this year and decide to take the plunge now

If this isn't proven, I really need a few examples of what other teams are, in your mind. I can't name three to five teams with a better setup at the position.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it a luxury to add a WR now, maybe yes, but I am looking to the very near future. Larry easily could be gone after this year. Kirk will be on last year of his contract and still hasn’t become a true #2 WR. After that you have what ?????? Our WR group could go from a strength to a big concern in one years time.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Learn from the Brown/Peterson mistake, grabbing a RT seems like the thing to do, but get the talent, Hopkins, Lamb Fitz, move Kirk or keep him, dont ever draft for need.

Lamb is compared to Hopkins, use Murray RT is easier to replace than to land a star like Lamb.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Learn from the Brown/Peterson mistake, grabbing a RT seems like the thing to do, but get the talent, Hopkins, Lamb Fitz, move Kirk or keep him, dont ever draft for need.

Lamb is compared to Hopkins, use Murray RT is easier to replace than to land a star like Lamb.

God forbid we make that mistake again!!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Is it a luxury to add a WR now, maybe yes, but I am looking to the very near future. Larry easily could be gone after this year. Kirk will be on last year of his contract and still hasn’t become a true #2 WR. After that you have what ?????? Our WR group could go from a strength to a big concern in one years time.
40th time or so... Our OL already is a concern.

No, replacing an RT is not easier. There was only one star offensive line player on the market this year, and he is a one-time Pro Bowler making $14 million a season.

The NFL's top 20 receivers of 2019 were richly stacked with 2nd and 3rd round plus picks, with additional free agent acquisitions scattered in there.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
I got another take for you solar, we draft a stud wr if Simmons is gone and have Larry groom him as his replacement for a year or three. Then in 3 years he is the number one and Hopkins is #2. Rt’s are pretty easy to come by these days. Left tackles not so much.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with you about getting an OL with #8. I won’t be disappointed. Unless Keim royally has a brain fart we will get a good player

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
40th time or so... Our OL already is a concern.

No, replacing an RT is not easier. There was only one star offensive line player on the market this year, and he is a one-time Pro Bowler making $14 million a season.

The NFL's top 20 receivers of 2019 were richly stacked with 2nd and 3rd round plus picks, with additional free agent acquisitions scattered in there.

They have Murray RT he did fine, you were happy with Brown over Peterson? Raiders made same mistake Gallery over Fitz you think they regret that?

RT is not a elite position, Hopkins and a wideout with a similar skill set and has chemistry already with the QB, who already knows the system/terminology and is the best wideout in a elite WR class, come on now. You are talking Free agency, not the draft with your stats. You take the Ferrari not Galllery, Copper, Levi Brown, there is no Joe Thomas in the first lol. Keim already said he wants a player in a elite spot, hes not taking a RT at 8 lol

PS the Cards run a spread offense, KK wants to run 5 wide lol, he needs WRs, watch it will be Lamb and everyone will be crying, but this will happen, Just Watch

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope so, you know how the mocks are. Wr’s might go 3 in the first seven. Who knows. Hope he is there at 8 or Simmons. We have had Nobody that can cover a tight end for years since the beginning of the honey badger before he got hurt.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They have Murray RT he did fine, you were happy with Brown over Peterson? Raiders made same mistake Gallery over Fitz you think they regret that?

RT is not a elite position, Hopkins and a wideout with a similar skill set and has chemistry already with the QB, who already knows the system/terminology and is the best wideout in a elite WR class, come on now. You are talking Free agency, not the draft with your stats. You take the Ferrari not Galllery, Copper, Levi Brown, there is no Joe Thomas in the first lol. Keim already said he wants a player in a elite spot, hes not taking a RT at 8 lol

PS the Cards run a spread offense, KK wants to run 5 wide lol, he needs WRs, watch it will be Lamb and everyone will be crying, but this will happen, Just Watch
Miss me on the 10 year old argument.

We went to a Super Bowl with Brown. Now, do I think it was because of him? No. But Peterson was a player of feasible need compared to Brown. Lamb or Jeudy fit nowhere into the need spectrum that Peterson did, besides for folks who are playing too much fantasy football or watching Red Zone as their exclusive outlet to football.

Robert Gallery was considered a fantastic prospect coming out. Every player in "Copper's" draft sucked anyways. The guys we're talking about at OT are every bit the modern equivalent of Joe Thomas, who we are never going to see again. Teams simply don't play their tackles in college to be as prepared or groomed as Thomas was.

If Kliff needs 5 top receivers WRs to run his offense, he's a bad coach, and the people that let the team draft four WRs in the past two years who are now apparently useless are bad at NFL personnel.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Miss me on the 10 year old argument.

We went to a Super Bowl with Brown. Now, do I think it was because of him? No. But Peterson was a player of feasible need compared to Brown. Lamb or Jeudy fit nowhere into the need spectrum that Peterson did, besides for folks who are playing too much fantasy football or watching Red Zone as their exclusive outlet to football.

Robert Gallery was considered a fantastic prospect coming out. Every player in "Copper's" draft sucked anyways. The guys we're talking about at OT are every bit the modern equivalent of Joe Thomas, who we are never going to see again. Teams simply don't play their tackles in college to be as prepared or groomed as Thomas was.

If Kliff needs 5 top receivers WRs to run his offense, he's a bad coach, and the people that let the team draft four WRs in the past two years who are now apparently useless are bad at NFL personnel.

That's his offense he runs runs tons of Wides due to the lack of quality wides he didnt run it alot. He runs a spread offense.... a RT will never be worth an 8 ever ever ever. Prove me wrong. You get the talent and adapt to what you have, this wont be a RT, play Keims interviews he not going RT.

You are using the same keep Rosen and go Bosa philosophy. Drafting for need gets you Tom Knight.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey he needs 5 elite wr’s. You draft a couple every year and hit and miss. It’s part of the draft.

if he had 5 elite wr’s and Kyler quick on the gun we could all play right tackle

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Plus kk got hired cause he wasn’t conventional like you are always thinking aka Wilkes. Gotta think outside the box solar.

Dead on, he grabbed 3 Wrs last year because of the importantance of them in the offense. They didnt hit, it will be Lamb or Simmons.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will Kliff’s play-calling be closer to what it was prior to the Bengals game(a lot of 10 personnel) or will it be what it was ever since the Bengals’ game & after(a lot more 11-12 personnel?

I don’t think it was because the lack of good WRs. He was able to get way more creative with 11-12 personnel & it made Kyler’s life a lot easier.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Brown is not Tristan Wirfs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So looking at the best passing teams in the league last season I would rank our WR room right up there with any of them. The only team that I can firmly say we fall behind is TB as they have two #1 guys in Evans and Godwin.

My gripe with this current WR group isn't particularly what we have for next season, but what we have for the future, even just beyond this next season.

Therefor it is clearly not a position of need that NEEDS to be addressed in this draft, but I would at least like to add another guy somewhere between rounds 2-4 to bolster that room for the future. That would be much easier to do if we can trade back and pick up a 2nd.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave