Charles Barkley to sell MVP trophy to build affordable housing in hometown

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
40M net worth doesn't mean he has 40M stashed in his closet.
Charles is not selling the trophy for living expenses. Rather, to build
affordable housing for the people of his hometown, Leeds, Alabama.

'Good for him. An athlete sharing the wealth.

Just as Jon Bon Jovi did building homes in Philadelphia for poor people,
in the neighboring State to his hometown of Sayreville NJ.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno man...to sell the trophy seems kinda weird...almost sacrilegious. Reminds me when Borg sold his tennis trophies then wanted them back. I mean he's loaded...he doesn't have to do this for charity. The only way it would be cool is if it was bought by Sarver and displayed at the arena...like someone on here said.

Chuck don't do it dude

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno man...to sell the trophy seems kinda weird...almost sacrilegious. Reminds me when Borg sold his tennis trophies then wanted them back. I mean he's loaded...he doesn't have to do this for charity. The only way it would be cool is if it was bought by Sarver and displayed at the arena...like someone on here said.

Chuck don't do it dude

If Chuck is committed to sell... Sarver needs to buy. Where have you been?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chuck don't do it dude

not everybody places value on things like that.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
not everybody places value on things like that.

Considering he never got a ring I would think he'd value the trophy even more....and when you think about it it's even more rare than a championship ring. Crap...OJ Simpson went to prison in part trying to get his Heisman back...that and his picture with J Edgar Hoover...lol.

I wonder if the trophy even has the monetary value Charles thinks it has. Plus might he regret selling it later on? Hmm...a lot to ponder.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering he never got a ring I would think he'd value the trophy even more....and when you think about it it's even more rare than a championship ring. Crap...OJ Simpson went to prison in part trying to get his Heisman back...that and his picture with J Edgar Hoover...lol.

I wonder if the trophy even has the monetary value Charles thinks it has. Plus might he regret selling it later on? Hmm...a lot to ponder.

He's getting older and is probably tired of lugging certain things around. If I remember correctly he doesn't have any sons of his own either, not that a daughter wouldn't appreciate his MVP trophy but most kids don't want to be stuck with their parents trophies and don't view them the same as fans do.

This started right before the US started taking the Corona Virus seriously and Barkley himself got tested for that early on. It wouldn't surprise me if he's facing his own mortality and wondering where all of his stuff will end up when his days are done. He's not the first athlete to sell something like an MVP trophy and he won't be the last.

Kareem did something similar recently. Here's a piece from NBA.com about Kareem's auction that raised almost $3 million and included auctioning 3 of his 6 MVP trophies. That auction took place in late February last year. I know 3 of his 6 is quite different than 1 of 1 but perhaps that will help it's auction price, for Barkley and the charities sake. In addition to that, Kareem is someone a lot of NBA legends look up to and admire and Barkley has spoken many times about his adoration for Kareem as a man, not so much a player. He's probably hoping some other players will follow in their footsteps. Kareem started it, Barkley is continuing it, and hopefully someone else steps up in the near future

Here's an excerpt from another piece on why Kareem is auctioning some of his memorabilia...

Basketball great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has decided four of his NBA championship rings and other memorabilia can be put to better use. So rather than continuing to display them at home, he's selling them to the highest bidder, CBS reports. Much of the auction proceeds will go to his Skyhook Foundation, which provides STEM educational opportunities—in science, technology, engineering and math—to children in communities that lack them.

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his website. "Sell it all." And there's a lot to sell. Sports Illustrated points out that the Hall of Famer was much honored during his career: He was named an All-Star 19 times, was voted the league MVP six times, and won six NBA titles. When he retired, he had more points than anyone in NBA history: 38,387.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

who cares, it’s his to sale.

yeah Barkley isn’t OJ. Seriously.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave