Let’s Talk About Drake

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dalvin Cook didn't make a difference this year? Christian McCaffery?

You're off your rocker on this one. Horrible take.
Chris Carson
Mostert, Brieda
Drake
Heck..... 75% of the league.

One year it’s Zeke and Saquon. The next it’s CMC and Henry. The next might be Kamara and Cook. Then you have Mostert and Drake blow up. Then comes Chris Carson for 5 games. Then it’s John Conner!

You let me know when you can predict which RB is going to be lights out for a multiple seasons and I’ll give you directions to the nearest powerball machine.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Chris Carson
Mostert, Brieda
Drake
Heck..... 75% of the league.

One year it’s Zeke and Saquon. The next it’s CMC and Henry. The next might be Kamara and Cook. Then you have Mostert and Drake blow up. Then comes Chris Carson for 5 games. Then it’s John Conner!

You let me know when you can predict which RB is going to be lights out for a multiple seasons and I’ll give you directions to the nearest powerball machine.
This is why you continue to invest in the position and get the right guy. The point of investing in an RB in the third or fourth is to hedge our bets on Drake, not find the new Saquon Barkley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eno Benjamin would be a solid selection at running back if he is around in the 4th round. This guy runs hard and can break tackles.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
2 teams ran the ball over 50%

7 teams ran the ball over 45%

14 teams ran the ball under 40% (including us)

Scheme matters as much as talent these days
True, but we are talking about total touches, hard to argue that the player who touches the ball second most (other than snapping) of any player in the field shouldn’t be considered important. Other QB I’m willing to bet the vast majority of players with numbers of touches are rbs.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't nobody become a great back without a great line first.

We have two picks in the first 113 of the draft. Make them impactful.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Ke'Shawn Vaugh is my guy in round 4 or 5. He's not going to wow you with elusiveness but he has great vision and strength. Watch his highlight video. It's nothing spectacular but he always find the hole(vision) and always runs through tackles(strength). He ran a 4.51 at the combine.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My feeling is that with the picks we now have, we'll target an Edge Rusher in the 3rd and a RB and Safety in the 4th. JMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Drake gets hurt and Edmonds is your feature back. I guess everyone who has disdain for taking a RB early is okay with this.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Folks can come up with all the hypotheticals they want. No reason to draft a RB within the first two days.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake gets hurt and Edmonds is your feature back. I guess everyone who has disdain for taking a RB early is okay with this.

If Edmonds performs like he did when DJ went down I’m fine with it

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Like others have said we can find quality backs after the draft. If we needed a first string guy and wanted to use the 3rd on a RB in that case it would make sense, but we already have first and second string locked down and should be able to find an undrafted guy that can plug in as needed behind those guys.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I disagree with people who think you can find as good a RB in the late rounds as you in early rounds. True, it CAN happen but there’s a reason guys are ranked in the order they are.

As much as I like Ke’Shawn Vaughn, he’s not as good, or will ever be as talented as Swift.
Over the last few years, The best RBs in the league, Fournette, Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Gordon, Barkley, Henry, Mixon, Chubb,McCoy were all 1st or 2nd round picks.

the problem is re-signing them to a 2nd contract.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with people who think you can find as good a RB in the late rounds as you in early rounds. True, it CAN happen but there’s a reason guys are ranked in the order they are.

As much as I like Ke’Shawn Vaughn, he’s not as good, or will ever be as talented as Swift.
Over the last few years, The best RBs in the league, Fournette, Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Gordon, Barkley, Henry, Mixon, Chubb,McCoy were all 1st or 2nd round picks.

So why draft a player in the 2nd or even 3rd round if they’re only going to be on the team for 3-4 years since you’re nervous to sign that 2nd contract?

Aim for OL/DL or pretty much any position that’s not RB who will stick for at least a 2nd contract.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

just beat me to it

while $8.5m is a bit rich for Drake, I do think there is value to having an upper tier guy to reduce the pressure on a still young K1. Further, its $8.5mm for 1 year.

By next offseason, the offense may be in a place where it can be just as productive with Edmunds + a draft pick

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

If Edmonds performs like he did when DJ went down I’m fine with it

100% fine with it. And I'm sure there will be a few RB's waiting for an injury if need be on the open market. After week 1..... their salary is not guaranteed IIRC.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's gameflow more than it is scheme for most teams.

What other needs are going to be filled in the 3rd or 4th rounds? It'd be awful to pass up on the next Kareem Hunt or Alvin Kamara for another young WR or something.

DL, OL, ILB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose