For the Less Informed: Draft Needs

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say that while ignoring the system we are running and the realities that Fitz is at the end. I don't endorse drafting WR round 1 but certainly by round 4.

Butler isn't making the team so that pick is done. I don't have any real confidence in the receivers after Kirk.

ehhh. KJ and Isabella both showed promise last year and should make an improvement. Many WR take a season to settle in. Regardless of the stories of Butler circulating. I wouldn’t consider him dead just yet. Way too much physical ability to give up on. Depth added? Resign sherfield. Draft a really late one. But RB and ILB for sure imo need more depth. Only 2RBs on the roster and ILB even with the Campbell signing is just lacking.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ehhh. KJ and Isabella both showed promise last year and should make an improvement. Many WR take a season to settle in. Regardless of the stories of Butler circulating. I wouldn’t consider him dead just yet. Way too much physical ability to give up on. Depth added? Resign sherfield. Draft a really late one. But RB and ILB for sure imo need more depth. Only 2RBs on the roster and ILB even with the Campbell signing is just lacking.

Just to be clear I’m not saying don’t add at all or improve if you can. Just saying I consider the other 2 positions much higher in terms of NEED.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Shane. We've invested far too much in the WR position to abandon ship on ALL of those guys. One's gotta be able to step up and be a #3 when Fitz leaves. We at least have WRs, which can't be said for RBs. Gotta take a high upside guy for the future or probably focus on special teams.

If you're worried about Fitz leaving, why not Drake? He's not signed for next year, and having just Edmonds and an undrafted guy or whatever would be scary.

Also, you have to hedge your bet on Drake a little bit. I know some of you guys are convinced he's the second coming, but if he only manages to do what he's done every year of his career, we're gonna need another option.

ILB is the same. Needs a future, and needs depth for special teams.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Shane. We've invested far too much in the WR position to abandon ship on ALL of those guys. One's gotta be able to step up and be a #3 when Fitz leaves. We at least have WRs, which can't be said for RBs. Gotta take a high upside guy for the future or probably focus on special teams.

If you're worried about Fitz leaving, why not Drake? He's not signed for next year, and having just Edmonds and an undrafted guy or whatever would be scary.

Also, you have to hedge your bet on Drake a little bit. I know some of you guys are convinced he's the second coming, but if he only manages to do what he's done every year of his career, we're gonna need another option.

ILB is the same. Needs a future, and needs depth for special teams.
Be a efficient, solid RB?

But seriously, both RB & WR I probably wouldn’t touch until Day 3, probably with the exception of Akers in round 3.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Essentially...

8 - Tristan Wirfs - OT
72 - Donovan Peoples-Jones - WR
114 - Michael Ojemudia - CB
131 - Alex Highsmith - EDGE

with the first 4 picks. Higher profile positions with need and players who have starts under their belts. Tough for me to pass on DPJ in round 3 as I think he is going to be a good pro WR. I just think he is one fo the best dudes on the board at that spot. DL screams for it to be used high or at the bottom of the draft. I don't love the intermediate group.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Be a efficient, solid RB?

But seriously, both RB & WR I probably wouldn’t touch until Day 3, probably with the exception of Akers in round 3.
You can't tell me that you're going to be happy with Drake if he puts up 644 yards rushing, 3 TDs, and 239 yards receiving with 1 TD as long as his YPC is 4.8?

I think the 4th round is probably the ideal time to snag a back, but I could go 3rd round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can't tell me that you're going to be happy with Drake if he puts up 644 yards rushing, 3 TDs, and 239 yards receiving with 1 TD as long as his YPC is 4.8?

I think the 4th round is probably the ideal time to snag a back, but I could go 3rd round.
I think it is silly to worry about RB at this point in time. We have Drake, we have Edmonds and RBs are devalued across the league. IF both of those guys go down we are either trading one or signing a street FA. One year at a time problem.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think it is silly to worry about RB at this point in time. We have Drake, we have Edmonds and RBs are devalued across the league. IF both of those guys go down we are either trading one or signing a street FA. One year at a time problem.
It’s less silly than worrying about WR when we have possibly the best WR in the league, a hall of famer, one good second round pick and one question mark, and two other guys who could functionally make the team and would be silly to totally give up on this soon.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s less silly than worrying about WR when we have possibly the best WR in the league, a hall of famer, one good second round pick and one question mark, and two other guys who could functionally make the team and would be silly to totally give up on this soon.

I don’t worry about WR, but I want Lamb:) special football player so I think...

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It is interesting the turn this thread has taken after the free agent signings this team has made.

This is still an 8 win team, max, in my opinion.

But, when it comes to needs, I think a lot of the posters that are looking at the age of some starters and the contracts of others is the way to start thinking. The starting 22 for this roster is penciled in from what I see.

That includes Justin Murray at RT.

This leaves the Cardinals with a lot of flexibility in the draft, and in my opinion, that means, take the best player available. Lock in on some high percentage success prospects. Big Schools, Big talent, Big experience against good talent.

Keim needs to hit on some young players or this "revival" will be very short lived.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is interesting the turn this thread has taken after the free agent signings this team has made.

This is still an 8 win team, max, in my opinion.

But, when it comes to needs, I think a lot of the posters that are looking at the age of some starters and the contracts of others is the way to start thinking. The starting 22 for this roster is penciled in from what I see.

That includes Justin Murray at RT.

This leaves the Cardinals with a lot of flexibility in the draft, and in my opinion, that means, take the best player available. Lock in on some high percentage success prospects. Big Schools, Big talent, Big experience against good talent.

Keim needs to hit on some young players or this "revival" will be very short lived.
I don't think the starters are locked in, especially as it comes to Murray. It's a one-year, $660k contract.

With the pure talent dump of the Rams, and the easier schedule, I could see us competing for a winning season, and maybe a playoff spot.

But you've gotta protect Kyler, and not get obsessed with loading up on talent at one position when an elite option is still available at a position of need.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think most of us have RT as the #1 need and despite the praises of SK Murray isn't a quality starting RT in this league. Maybe he continues to develop and becomes good to very good but that's a roll of the dice. So is assuming Hump and Murray will both stay healthy all year.

I'm not about drafting just a RT in rd1 but drafting an OT that can play LT as well. Again Hump has had one season where he played in every game. I do believe he has turned the corner and could play every game this year but if he doesn't we are screwed if we haven't addressed the OT position.

Say we draft Wirfs and Hump stays healthy and Wirfs wins the starting RT position then Murray could battle for a starting OG spot or be quality depth.

Finally make the Oline a strength of this team. I would be good with trading back some and picking an OT there but IMO the pick has to be OT in rd1. I would like to see an interior Olineman taken before day 3 of the draft. That won't happen if we don't trade back in rd 1 or use picks from next year (which I wouldn't want).

Now if Simmons is there at 8 then I would understand taking him but that would leave us very exposed on the oline.

Protecting Murray and providing him with the ability to grow into the QB most of us think he can be and all of us hope he will be is the MOST important thing to get accomplished this year.

Yes we need more help on defense but that's mostly a next year problem after what has been accomplished this offseason so far.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think most of us have RT as the #1 need and despite the praises of SK Murray isn't a quality starting RT in this league. Maybe he continues to develop and becomes good to very good but that's a roll of the dice. So is assuming Hump and Murray will both stay healthy all year.

I'm not about drafting just a RT in rd1 but drafting an OT that can play LT as well. Again Hump has had one season where he played in every game. I do believe he has turned the corner and could play every game this year but if he doesn't we are screwed if we haven't addressed the OT position.

Say we draft Wirfs and Hump stays healthy and Wirfs wins the starting RT position then Murray could battle for a starting OG spot or be quality depth.

Finally make the Oline a strength of this team. I would be good with trading back some and picking an OT there but IMO the pick has to be OT in rd1. I would like to see an interior Olineman taken before day 3 of the draft. That won't happen if we don't trade back in rd 1 or use picks from next year (which I wouldn't want).

Now if Simmons is there at 8 then I would understand taking him but that would leave us very exposed on the oline.

Protecting Murray and providing him with the ability to grow into the QB most of us think he can be and all of us hope he will be is the MOST important thing to get accomplished this year.

Yes we need more help on defense but that' mostly a next year problem after what has been accomplished this offseason so far.
Well said! :cheers:

Reaction score
There are a lot of directions to go with that first pick at #8. Rather than what to do, it is much easier to say what I don't want the Cardinals and Keim to do.

That is PLEASE do not settle for selecting the third or fourth best OT on your board because the others are already gone, and you feel you need to select OT! :pullhair:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve done everything I thought was the right thing to do. We upgraded at Olb, Ilb and dl. We retain Drake, Murray, Humphries, Gonzales and Hundley.

We re-sign depth with Bullard ad Banjo. I’m pretty sure they won’t be the last.

We shed DJ and got who I believe is no worse than the second best receiver in football.

So what’s left? I think we add to the ol and dl.

Now it depend on how the draft unfolds, if we trade down, who is available. The way it looks a trade down is what we need and I think we will do that if we don’t look for a Kings ransom in return.

I think we go ot, dl, edge and ol. It’s a perfect storm to build both lines.

We can always bring in a running back. Either a UDfa or a cheap veteran. Same with wr. There is a possibility we take Lamb if our board says he’s the bpa and especially if we trade down. I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded down twice. If we do that we could add both a rb and a wr like Jefferson and Dobbins.

Keim said he had a plan and it appears he has his s*** together. He could kill it in the draft if we could find a couple of teams wanting to trade up.

Of course if we are able to do just that this site will explode all the way to training camp with who we should have taken and how stupid we were to trade down.

But it will be fun!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There are a lot of directions to go with that first pick at #8. Rather than what to do, it is much easier to say what I don't want the Cardinals and Keim to do.

That is PLEASE do not settle for selecting the third or fourth best OT on your board because the others are already gone, and you feel you need to select OT! :pullhair:
What if those OTs still grade out highly though?

I think we'll have our pick of the #1 or #2 OT. If you had Wirfs, Simmons, and Okudah at the top of your board, but all three are gone and Wills is slightly behind Lamb, please don't select Lamb.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
@Cardiac. In order to run kingsbury’s preferred offense we need 3 stud wr’s. Hopkins, ?????? We have fitz and a
Bunch of other guys. Fitz retires and we have Hopkins. Grab Jerry and the whole line plays better.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Cardiac. In order to run kingsbury’s preferred offense we need 3 stud wr’s. Hopkins, ?????? We have fitz and a
Bunch of other guys. Fitz retires and we have Hopkins. Grab Jerry and the whole line plays better.
Fake news. You don’t need 3 studs. No team in today’s NFL has 3 outright STUDS. IF OUR QB is as good as we hope he make all receiver better.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Plus Joe Walker just signed with the 49ers. Not a big loss but a loss in depth none the less.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think the starters are locked in, especially as it comes to Murray. It's a one-year, $660k contract.

With the pure talent dump of the Rams, and the easier schedule, I could see us competing for a winning season, and maybe a playoff spot.

But you've gotta protect Kyler, and not get obsessed with loading up on talent at one position when an elite option is still available at a position of need.
Shipley's currently not signed either. I believe we can compete for a wild card for sure.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We’ve done everything I thought was the right thing to do. We upgraded at Olb, Ilb and dl. We retain Drake, Murray, Humphries, Gonzales and Hundley.

We re-sign depth with Bullard ad Banjo. I’m pretty sure they won’t be the last.

We shed DJ and got who I believe is no worse than the second best receiver in football.

So what’s left? I think we add to the ol and dl.

Now it depend on how the draft unfolds, if we trade down, who is available. The way it looks a trade down is what we need and I think we will do that if we don’t look for a Kings ransom in return.

I think we go ot, dl, edge and ol. It’s a perfect storm to build both lines.

We can always bring in a running back. Either a UDfa or a cheap veteran. Same with wr. There is a possibility we take Lamb if our board says he’s the bpa and especially if we trade down. I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded down twice. If we do that we could add both a rb and a wr like Jefferson and Dobbins.

Keim said he had a plan and it appears he has his s*** together. He could kill it in the draft if we could find a couple of teams wanting to trade up.

Of course if we are able to do just that this site will explode all the way to training camp with who we should have taken and how stupid we were to trade down.

But it will be fun!
We are in the perfect spot to trade down with several teams at #8 imo.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was all in on drafting Levi Brown instead of the oft injured AP, so your point doesn't fall on deaf ears. Trading back is our best option IMO and as I stated I would understand if we take Simmons. Okudah won't be there IMO but if he is then taking him would be acceptable as well.

DT's scare me because the bust rate seems higher than a lot of other positions. We do need help there so if one is there that rates higher than an OT then I would understand that as well.

I don't want a WR at 8 because there are a bunch of quality WR's in this draft. Plus I agree with Shane that we don't/shouldn't need 3 stud WR's in KK's offense.

Bottom line is that the top 4 OT's in this draft have many experts singing their praises but your concern of 2 or 3 going before our #8 pick is very unlikely.