Is Javon Kinlaw worthy of the 8th overall pick?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just watched a YouTube clip from the PFF guys regarding Javon Kinlaw. The pro comparison is Chris Jones of the Chiefs. They said what makes Kinlaw such a special prospect is that he grades out as an elite interior pass rusher despite only having a couple of moves. They raved about his physical skills but also gave him top marks for work ethic and character. They said that he takes really well to coaching and if paired with an excellent defensive line coach, could really blossom into a truly elite NFL player.

Is Javon worth the 8th overall pick?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Too much unknown with Kinlaw especially since the training staff can’t look at him. I do worry about the Niners getting him to replace Buckner.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely not. If we took Kinlaw at 8 I’d go almost as nuts as I did when we took Nkimdiche, Reddick and Leinart and likely get ridiculed relentlessly on here like I did in those instances.

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s very raw, but has elite upside. I have heard Fletcher Cox comp for physical ability. Read a lot about how he has excellent work ethic and character. But hard to take an that unpolished of a player at 8 with the talent I assume will be on the board. If we drop back in the teens, then absolutely

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think Kinlaw might end up being a good player, but if we take him at 8, I'll be furious. Too risky compared to the other guys. It'd be such a Keim "smartest guy in the room" move.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Worthy, yes. But at least 3 or so even better prospects will be available at 8.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends who’s there but most likely a trade back guy say around 10-15 range

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vary good player but agree with most that he would be a trade down candidate. Additionally, not being able to work him out and have him in for a physical hurts his value. Of course, that is true on all the players but all teams are in the same boat.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
His performance never consistently matched his athleticism. He could be developed, but you’d prefer not to take a developmental selection at 8. Trade down candidate is correct, but the every year some team falls in love with a developmental pick and grabs them too early. They usually pay the price.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think Kinlaw is going to be what we hoped Nkemdiche would have been.

Too much risk at #8.

OP
OP
Lomax to Green 84

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Charley Casserly from NFL.com just mocked Kinlaw to the Cards. Daniel Jeremiah has Kinlaw as his #8 overall prospect.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As others have said, I would take him in a trade down, but I will have to assume that Simmons, Okudah, or Brown will be there at #8...all of whom I would rather take.

If we move down to 11 or 12, then he gets in the conversation as the top defensive player left...but I'm still really considering an OT or WR at that point.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm biased because I'm a South Carolina fan. I will say that during the season broadcasters often referred to him as either 1) the best tackle in the SEC or 2) the best defensive player in the SEC.

Truthfully, outside of Simmons there's no one I really want to take at 8. Lamb and Jeudy have the talent but WR strikes me as a luxury pick at this point. If i could trade down to 3 to 5 spots and pick more picks I certainly would. FWIW, I'd be satisfied staying pat and drafting one of several players (Becton for example) but not excited.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave