For the Less Informed: Draft Needs

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The Cardinals average 6 ypc running to the left side of the formation. I'll take that mediocre run blocking lol.

Humphries wont be top 5 paid by next offseason.

I know its not a popular opinion but I think our success running the ball had to do with Murray and the offensive system/play design.

Please someone watch the games and tell me which one Humphries dominated in the running game. Seriously...I am happy to be proven wrong but I have now re-watched 8 games and haven't seen it.

I watched the Browns game where Drake rushed for 137 yards and 4 td's. DJ made a couple of nice combo blocks but was mostly a non-factor and got away with a blatant hold/tackle. One of Drake's TD's on the goal line was over DJ and he made a block that you would expect a LT to make.

Here is Drake's run chart for the game (3 runs to the left).
  • The TD was an option play and DJ didn't do anything/his guy fell down but wasn't involved in the play at all (on his own).
  • The other run was the first run of the game. Combo block and then he stumbled getting to second level before walling off defender. Drake gain of ~15
  • The 3rd run to the left was outside and DJ was able to contain the DE (Cox?) that allowed Drake to get around the corner for ~14
Christian Kirk had a big play 15-20 yards on an end around.
Murray had that huge run that everyone remembers.

https://www.azcardinals.com/video/kyler-murray-kenyan-drake-cardinals-cap-opening-drive-with-td

You must be registered for see images attach

I can only find 2 of Murray's run charts but these could explain the higher average to the left.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Current Draft Picks for 2020: 7 Picks total
Round 1 - #8
Round 3 - #72
Round 4 - #114
Round 4 - #131
Round 5 - #154
Round 6 - #202
Round 7 - #222

Did a mock at Fanspeak; no 5th round pick given for Cardinals. This sample was simply letting the draft come to me, i.e. - taking the BPA, with just a little regard for need(s). The run on OT's didn't leave any pick worth its draft position for the Cardinals. DL just nothing noteworthy when I (Cards) was on the clock.

If it were to fall this way, I would be pretty satisfied. The first three should all easily contribute, and I wouldn't be surprised it everyone of these choices made the squad of 53.

8: R1P8

CB JEFF OKUDAH
OHIO ST.
CB is not an immediate need but Simmons and DL Brown were both off the board. Couldn't pass on value here.

72: R3P8
RB JONATHAN TAYLOR
WISCONSIN
Unless you are still clinging to hope for DJ Foster, RB is a need, and again couldn't believe that the #35 ranked player was sitting there in the third round. At worst he is solid depth; at best he is Drake's replacement whenever that may happen. The next best option was #65 ranked on the board LB Akeem Davis-Gaither from Appalachian St.

114: R4P8
C NICK HARRIS
WASHINGTON
By far the highest ranked OL left on the board at this point, and arguably the best remaining.

131: R4P25
TE JACOB BREELAND
OREGON
Highest ranked player when picking. Fills the room.

202: R6P23
LB KAMAL MARTIN
MINNESOTA
Provides depth; good size 6'3" 240; played on a strong defense at Minnesota

222: R7P8
WR ISAIAH WRIGHT
TEMPLE
There wasn't a lot to choose from this late. Thought about choosing WR Antonio Gibson from Memphis, who was ranked lower than Wright.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Did a mock at Fanspeak; no 5th round pick given for Cardinals. This sample was simply letting the draft come to me, i.e. - taking the BPA, with just a little regard for need(s). The run on OT's didn't leave any pick worth its draft position for the Cardinals. DL just nothing noteworthy when I (Cards) was on the clock.

If it were to fall this way, I would be pretty satisfied. The first three should all easily contribute, and I wouldn't be surprised it everyone of these choices made the squad of 53.

CB JEFF OKUDAH
OHIO ST.
CB is not an immediate need but Simmons and DL Brown were both off the board. Couldn't pass on value here.

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR
WISCONSIN
Unless you are still clinging to hope for DJ Foster, RB is a need, and again couldn't believe that the #35 ranked player was sitting there in the third round. At worst he is solid depth; at best he is Drake's replacement whenever that may happen. The next best option was #65 ranked on the board LB Akeem Davis-Gaither from Appalachian St.

C NICK HARRIS
WASHINGTON
By far the highest ranked OL left on the board at this point, and arguably the best remaining.

TE JACOB BREELAND
OREGON

LB KAMAL MARTIN
MINNESOTA

WR ISAIAH WRIGHT
TEMPLE
There wasn't a lot to choose from this late. Thought about choosing WR Antonio Gibson from Memphis, who was ranked lower than Wright.
You had me at Okudah

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
RT
C
RB
DL (indiscriminate in positions)
ILB
TE

To those who say safety, unless you're considering Simmons a safety/LB hybrid, I'm unsure how you can genuinely want to invest a draft pick in one without giving the Thompson twins a chance to develop, especially Jalen Thompson.

@cardpa, Drake signed his one-year transition tag and will officially be a part of the team.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RT
C
RB
ILB
TE

To those who say safety, unless you're considering Simmons a safety/LB hybrid, I'm unsure how you can genuinely want to invest a draft pick in one without giving the Thompson twins a chance to develop, especially Jalen Thompson.

@cardpa, Drake signed his one-year transition tag and will officially be a part of the team.
This.

Outside of QB & LT, I would go every position before S.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can put a RB as a top 3 need on this team. Even from a depth perspective your drafting your #3 RB. We still need starters and talent in many more important places.

1. RT <-- IDGAF what the team says about Murray.
2. DL <-- Do we want rotational depth or not? We need 6 guys here. Not the 3 or 4 we have.
3. ILB <-- Hicks and Campbell. Expect one to get hurt at some point.
4. OLB <-- Pass rush depth is critical and we have very little.
5. C <-- WTH are we doing here?
6. CB <-- CB's are the 2nd or 3rd most important position on the field.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
RT
C
RB
ILB
TE

I can get behind the support of the Thompson's. Still leaves this team with 3 safeties.

They are going to need another, from some where

Sent from my SM-T517P using Tapatalk

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This.

Outside of QB & LT, I would go every position before S.
Exactly. Those last 3 games in 2019, Jalen Thompson was laying the wood on defense, around the ball on every play it seemed. VJ said in an interview that they have a plan for Deionte Thompson also. They're gonna add weight to him & get him stronger to start.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can get behind the support of the Thompson's. Still leaves this team with 3 safeties.

They are going to need another, from some where

Sent from my SM-T517P using Tapatalk
We re-signed Chris Banjo, so that makes four. As far as a 5th safety/camp body type, I'd be looking at a 7th round pick, undrafted free agency, or a veteran minimum after the draft. I just wouldn't put it up there with the other true "needs" as in jockeying for a potential starter from the draft.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I agree with the premise...our needs are still DL/OL and LB depth.

However, if a guy like Cam Akers is there in the 3rd I think you have to take him.

You can sign Bullard or Kerr, who are better than a DL you would get in round 3 typically.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We re-signed Chris Banjo, so that makes four. As far as a 5th safety/camp body type, I'd be looking at a 7th round pick, undrafted free agency, or a veteran minimum after the draft. I just wouldn't put it up there with the other true "needs" as in jockeying for a potential starter from the draft.

Yup. Just saw that.

We good then. If the Thompson boys show they can play, and if Jalen Thompson can keep improving then we should/could be in good shape.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Any interest in Raekwon Davis? He may be available in round 3.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would trade down and get another pick.

1. RT
2. A linebacker that can cover tight ends well.
3. C or DL
I would wait to see who is on the board before trading back. If Simmons and Okudah are gone than trading back makes a lot of sense especially if 2-3 of the top RTs are still on the board. Unless they have one RT graded significantly above the others in which case they just take him at 8.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

CB JEFF OKUDAH
OHIO ST.

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR
WISCONSIN

C NICK HARRIS
WASHINGTON

TE JACOB BREELAND
OREGON

LB KAMAL MARTIN
MINNESOTA

WR ISAIAH WRIGHT
TEMPLE
I would not take a running back in the third round. You have to load up on the best OL player at that spot. Drafting Okudah was the right move at pick 8. Unless you have to have a QB you just have to take the BPA there.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this team can take BPA now in the draft. We are the same or better at every position.

By need though I am thinking this order.

RT
DL
WR
ILB
RB
OG
C
TE
OLB
CB

The main issue we have 28 free agents in 2021 so some planning needs to go into what positions to address.

These starters are all currently free agents next year.

RB - Drake
WR - Fitz
OG - Sweezy
DT - Peters
LB Reddick, Campbell
CB - Peterson
S - Baker

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this team can take BPA now in the draft. We are the same or better at every position.

By need though I am thinking this order.

RT
DL
WR
ILB
RB
OG
C
TE
OLB
CB

The main issue we have 28 free agents in 2021 so some planning needs to go into what positions to address.

These starters are all currently free agents next year.

RB - Drake
WR - Fitz
OG - Sweezy
DT - Peters
LB Reddick, Campbell
CB - Peterson
S - Baker

WR above ILB and RB... fully and completely disagree

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say that while ignoring the system we are running and the realities that Fitz is at the end. I don't endorse drafting WR round 1 but certainly by round 4.

Butler isn't making the team so that pick is done. I don't have any real confidence in the receivers after Kirk.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards ran over 45% of their snaps in 2019 from a 4 WR set.

And I'm guessing that one of either Campbell or Hicks will miss time in 2020.

Wouldn't it make more sense to prioritize a #3 ILB over a #3 RB?

Honestly is it even worth drafting a RB for your #3 spot? Look at the last super bowl.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave