Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can't believe I'll be the one to say it, but this roster is massively improved, from my perspective.

The addition of Hopkins feels like a 3-game swing alone to me. The schedule is favorable. I still have little faith in Justin Murray, whatever is going on at Center, and Kenyan Drake, but the draft can allay those fears. The team really made some favorable additions that I feel set us up to be flexible in the future, but not hopeless in the present.

I had an offseason structure in mind, and this has totally surpassed those considerations.

On Doug and Wolf they were quoting one of the NFL analytic people who said that statistically, Hopkins would flat out add 1.5 wins himself, which is actually high for a WR.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The reason I say he is a horrible signing is because we are paying him 10 million a year. If we were paying him 4 or 5 million I would be ok with signing him. For instance Andrew Billings got signed for 3.5 million - and many consider him a better player. Gerald McCoy got signed for 6 million a year.

Why are we paying a guy 10 million a year based off one fluke of a year, his previous 4 years he was just a rotation DT, then he got cut.

Combining Suggs and Marsh is completely justified, because Marsh barely played till Suggs got cut - then he started.

I did say he was slightly better than the two of them.

Philip's made more plays in the backfield last year than Billings has in his entire career.

I think YOU think Billings is better, because I can't find a single metric that favors Billings over Phillips.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Philip's made more plays in the backfield last year than Billings has in his entire career.

I think YOU think Billings is better, because I can't find a single metric that favors Billings over Phillips.

And Philips also being a factor in one of the best defense last year
If he wasn't good he couldn't start over Ed Oliver and getting 60% of the snaps

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
based on the film I have watched of him, he seems like a natural instinct player. I think we miss an opportunity to sign him do a multi year deal and he will wind up having a great year for us this year but leaving next year

Campbell was probably looking for a massive contract and had no takers, so he bet on himself with a one year deal with the Cardinals.

Keim having to make up for his mistakes at more important position means the Cardinals havent dipped into that fairly reliable mid round LB pool that usually produces a few good players every year.

Its maddening to go back and look at the draft history across the NFL over the past decade and to see how many teams find ILB and guards in the middle rounds who become serviceable to good players, while Keim has to hit free agency and spend $8 million per year for the same kind of players.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, Bill Barnwell just gave the Campbell deal a D-minus.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here is another DJ pressure (he barely touches the dude)...not good on Campbell either.

bUt hUmPHrIes oNlY GAve uP twO sAcKS!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Campbell isnt a world beater, but he is a clear improvement from Joe Walker who was a clear improvement from Reddick.

The contract was structured funky because the Cardinals had a distinct need and couldnt fit him and other players under the cap. The cap situation should get better over the next few years.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that one of the most underrated signings of the off-season was the Cardinals signing of Devon Kennard. Funny, he didn’t really cause much of a blip at all on the board. Or maybe I just missed it.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think we have improved big time. TE killed us yes but so did the missed tackles. Our run stopped just got a lot better. Pass rush improved.

Adding Hopkins make Kyler better, makes the running game better. And takes pressure off the rest of the receivers.

Im leaning RT in the first because that upgrade the Oline and give us more depth for injuries. It also makes Eveyone better Kyler, Drake, WRs.

But who ever we get in draft DT, CB, ILB, WR, RT. We get better. I’m thrilled

Oh and all these TE stats tell me why don’t we go get a good TE. If Butler can’t play at WR maybe he can convert to TE

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that one of the most underrated signings of the off-season was the Cardinals signing of Devon Kennard. Funny, he didn’t really cause much of a blip at all on the board. Or maybe I just missed it.

There's a whole thread about it

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Vance Joseph said in press conference today that Campbell was their #1 target in FA but they didn't think they could afford him. He came back and agreed to a one year prove it deal.

Interesting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vance Joseph said in press conference today that Campbell was their #1 target in FA but they didn't think they could afford him. He came back and agreed to a one year prove it deal.

Interesting.

Yes, I found that very interesting as well.

Campbell does produce with hundred tackle seasons, but I think the knock on him is his mental processing on the field sometimes causes problems.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well hopefully he’s good enough to re-sign in that case. Otherwise ouch.

So with Simmons drafted, how does this affect Campbell, Is he on a 1 year prove it deal and the salary cap?

The Cards have

Kennard/ Reddick
Simmons/Campbell
Hicks/Weaver
Jones

Cards look to be stacked at the LB position,

Can Campbell and Simmons be on the field at the same time consistently, they are listed same position, or will Simmons be placed in Honey Badger slot often?

All I know is TE's going to have a much harder this time come next season!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So with Simmons drafted, how does this affect Campbell, Is he on a 1 year prove it deal and the salary cap?

The Cards have

Kennard/ Reddick
Simmons/Campbell
Hicks/Weaver
Jones

Cards look to be stacked at the LB position,

Can Campbell and Simmons be on the field at the same time consistently, they are listed same position, or will Simmons be placed in Honey Badger slot often?

All I know is TE's going to have a much harder this time come next season!

The one thing that Campbell allows, is for the Cardinals to move Simmons around and not have to worry about not having another starting caliber ILB.

Campbell is not a great ILB, but he is significantly better than Joe Walker, Gardeck, and Reddick. The deal is structured in a way, that it could easily be restructured and more years added.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The one thing that Campbell allows, is for the Cardinals to move Simmons around and not have to worry about not having another starting caliber ILB.

Campbell is not a great ILB, but he is significantly better than Joe Walker, Gardeck, and Reddick. The deal is structured in a way, that it could easily be restructured and more years added.

The Contract is confusing we have heard it reported so many ways. Is he a 4 mil option, or is he just in a prove it deal. He picked the wrong team to sign a prove it deal LOL. Joseph said Campbell was the #1 player they were after on S lol

Reaction score
Good article on Campbell on the Cards website.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/de-vondre-campbell-s-enthusiasm-not-dampened-by-bumpy-offseason

Campbell takes team harmony seriously, which makes his praise for Simmons that much more logical.

He pointed to tangible proof of its effects, harkening back to his march to the Super Bowl as a rookie with the Falcons in 2016.

"I've been on teams where nobody is really cool with each other," Campbell said. "We all have a job to do and that's it. It's just a job. But that year, it was special because you had guys from different backgrounds, different upbringings, clicking together. We were going on bowling trips like once a week. We were doing stuff as a group, and it built our chemistry up that much more.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Interesting.
So, we drafted Simmons to be a gadget player until Campbell plays poorly or leaves in the offseason...I hate Keim's mentality when it comes to the draft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave