PFF guys on XM Radio regarding Cards and Tristan Wirfs

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was listening to the NFL channel on XM Radio and they had all the top guys from PFF. During the broadcast, they were discussing the impact of the Hopkins trade on the Cardinal draft plans. The general consensus was that Offensive Tackle was the most obvious area to address. When discussing the Tackle options, it was agreed that the best fit was Tristan Wirfs. They cited Wirfs amazing athletic ability as appealing to what the Cards value in their offensive lineman. They went on to say that the Cards ran more screens than any team in the NFL and Wirfs extraordinary movement skills make him a nightmare for defenses on those screens. They also debunked the theory that Wirfs is better at guard.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for posting. Hope Wirfs is still there at #8 when we pick. Of course if he isn't, then one of the top 3 defense guys (Simmons, Brown, or Okudah) could be there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Wirfs can help the Cardinals run better screen plays then yes!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was listening to the NFL channel on XM Radio and they had all the top guys from PFF. During the broadcast, they were discussing the impact of the Hopkins trade on the Cardinal draft plans. The general consensus was that Offensive Tackle was the most obvious area to address. When discussing the Tackle options, it was agreed that the best fit was Tristan Wirfs. They cited Wirfs amazing athletic ability as appealing to what the Cards value in their offensive lineman. They went on to say that the Cards ran more screens than any team in the NFL and Wirfs extraordinary movement skills make him a nightmare for defenses on those screens. They also debunked the theory that Wirfs is better at guard.

There is no argument about his outstanding Combine numbers. I would also agree that Wirfs can stay at tackle. I’ve posted that several times. The part that is curious is the bit about screens. Certainly the Combine numbers suggest that ability. However, he was not outstanding in college when it came to blocking on the move. Perhaps it’s a matter of coaching but I don’t think you can rely on that statement as verified.

All things considered I would take him if I were picking the best OT. I’m just concerned he looks great on paper but just plays very good. The intoxication conviction doesn’t please me.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no argument about his outstanding Combine numbers. I would also agree that Wirfs can stay at tackle. I’ve posted that several times. The part that is curious is the bit about screens. Certainly the Combine numbers suggest that ability. However, he was not outstanding in college when it came to blocking on the move. Perhaps it’s a matter of coaching but I don’t think you can rely on that statement as verified.

All things considered I would take him if I were picking the best OT. I’m just concerned he looks great on paper but just plays very good. The intoxication conviction doesn’t please me.
I think thats why a lot of people think he can be great....at Guard. Just good at Tackle.

I guess we'll see.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It seems like I've heard this narrative before. His name was Jonathan Cooper. None of these OL guys appeal to me in the top 10. We have set ourselves up to draft BPA and the OL prospects are not BPA at 8. Best case is one of the defensive guys falls (Simmons, Brown or Ohkudah). If not, the BPA becomes receiver which we really don't need. At that point maybe we trade back and take someone else.

OP
OP
Lomax to Green 84

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah, I saw another very interesting video comparing Wirfs to Wills. While it is obvious that Wirfs is an amazing athlete, there was concern about him being on the ground to much and getting his shoulders vertical to the line of scrimmage to often in pass protection. Those bad habits are concerning especially knowing that he received outstanding coaching at Iowa. If I am picking at #8 and Wirfs or Derrick Brown are the top 2 options, I take Brown.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Say if we did have a mid 2nd round pick, name a couple you would target there. Jackson, Clevland, Ruiz, Cushenberry? I don't think Jones would be there. Who would fit?

I for one would really like to address C.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am fond of Muti. Although I have never had the opportunity to shower with him, I still find him an intriguing prospect.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am fond of Muti. Although I have never had the opportunity to shower with him, I still find him an intriguing prospect.
You must be registered for see images attach

It seems like I've heard this narrative before. His name was Jonathan Cooper. None of these OL guys appeal to me in the top 10. We have set ourselves up to draft BPA and the OL prospects are not BPA at 8. Best case is one of the defensive guys falls (Simmons, Brown or Ohkudah). If not, the BPA becomes receiver which we really don't need. At that point maybe we trade back and take someone else.
I love a lot of these tackles. But I can agree with you, it's hard to look at one of the top tackles in comparison with those three defensive guys.

As of right now, I keep going back and forth between Wirfs and Simmons. Then someone points out a good argument and I get excited about another. I argue with people about Okudah, but I think he's tremendous, and I couldn't be that angry.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like Wirfs better than Wills because he’s athletic enough to move to LT when DJ is gone.
But, I think Wills is a better RT so it’s a tough call.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Say if we did have a mid 2nd round pick, name a couple you would target there. Jackson, Clevland, Ruiz, Cushenberry? I don't think Jones would be there. Who would fit?

I for one would really like to address C.
I’ve heard JK Dobbins is falling on some boards. Edge guys Greenard, Weaver or Uche are options. Raekwon Davis Could develop into a rotation DT.

Cushenberry is the best OL coming out of the PAC 12, though that’s not a big endorsement. Too early for Jackson or Cleveland.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is that really a true statement? The Cards ran more screens last year than any other team? Were the screens considered a successful play the majority of the time?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It’s a little concerning he hasn’t learned to use his athleticism better but he doesn’t turn 22 until January 2021. I really like that it seems like he takes great care of his body for a big guy.