Who do we draft now at #8?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Draft is going to be a lot of fun. I think that as things stand now, imo, we'll go either OL (Wills, Werfs, Becton, or the Georgia OT, I forgot his name) or DL (Brown, Kenlaw). Pretty sure that if we go DL at #8, we'll go OL in the third round. But, if we go OL at #8, I have no idea what we'll do in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Other than just say BPA. Does anyone have any ideas?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The scary thing is our OL overachieved and had really good injury luck but was still average at best. The whole unit could go south very quickly. I remember us trying to hype up Korey Cunningham.

This x 1000. RT at 8 end of story.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
(1) Becton is a rare talent.
  • Absolute beast in the running game (we would dominate the run game)
  • Has played both LT and RT
  • Will hold down RT for the next 2-3 year and could be potential replacement for Humphries at LT
  • I can't imagine what he could be with Coach Kugler
(2) Wills is a technician
  • He will be a pro bowl player
  • Smooth, nasty, and can get to the second level with ease
  • If he can play LT...that would be significant
(3) Wirfs is extremely athletic
  • If you tell me he will be pro Bowl guard for the next 10 years - I would buy it
  • He isn't dominate in the running game...athletic but not dominant
  • He can play RT just fine but not special
  • Can he play LT? Most people have him at G in the NFL

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it sure looks like free agency was all about putting the Cards in a position to take an offensive or defensive lineman --- or, Simmons if he somehow drops (Campbells deal is for 1 year).

on one hand, conventional wisdom is saying there is no way Simmons drops to #8. Yet in more than one mock draft with plausible picks, he does drop. Similarly: a few year ago, Derwin James somehow lasted into the teens.

I think the Cards are in great shape at #8. Stay and take a difference maker on the o-line, d-line or Simmons --- with an option to trade back and maybe get their "runner up" at oline or dline who they rate almost identically to their choice at 8.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why this draft will be so much fun. Consider:
1. WR-I laughed at those who said Lamb or Jeudy, as we had just traded for Hopkins. But the more I think about it, I realize we might. It is a passing league and Fitz will probably retire soon. With Lamb or Jeudy we'd be set at WR going forward.
2. DL-Add Brown or Kinlaw to what we have and our defense will be MUCH, MUCH better next season. Maybe not great, but pretty good.
3. OL-Logic tells me that we will select one of the top four OT's. After all we didn't address the OL needs in FA so we must in the Draft. And since there will probably be three or four to choose from, and SK makes the wrong choice (or not the best choice) this board is set for years to come.

So, for the sake of this Board, I'm going OT. Either Wills or Wirfs, as ONE will be available. If both are, I'm taking Wills.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2020 NFL Mock Draft (Post Free Agency Frenzy)
In the wake of some huge free agency moves, the entire look of the 2020 NFL Draft may look different than it did just a week ago. Corey Parson takes a closer look.
COREY PARSON
UPDATED:
MAR 20, 2020
ORIGINAL:
MAR 20, 2020
  • Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Ohio's native son is a no brainer to return home and take over as the Bengals' franchise quarterback. Burrow is coming off a legendary college season where he won the Heisman Trophy and the National Championship.

2. Washington Redskins: Chase Young, DE, Ohio State

Chase Young is the pound-for-pound best prospect in this draft. Young is a dominant defensive end who dominated in his final year at Ohio State, racking up 44 tackles and 16.5 sacks. He can be a cornerstone in D.C. for years to come.

3. Detroit Lions: Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

The Lions have been retooling their defense this offseason. This could be a spot for them to take a quarterback, but with the trade of Darius Slay, the Lions need to select Jeff Okudah, who is the best cornerback in this class. It doesn't hurt that Ohio State cornerbacks translate well to the NFL.

4. New York Giants: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

Tristan Wirfs is the best offensive tackle in this draft class and should be a lock to the Giants, who have been trying to figure out their offensive line for a couple of years. Wirfs is an athletic tackle who is good in pass protection.

5. Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

This is where things will get interesting. Tagovailoa has been projected to go at the top of this draft class for a couple of years now, but a devastating hip injury has left some in doubt. Couple that with the fact that due to the coronavirus, no one can really see if Tagovailoa is healthy. All reports are that he is recovering nicely and shouldn't have any problems moving forward. A healthy Tua could be the best player in this draft.

Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Now that Philip Rivers has moved on from the Chargers, the franchise will be looking for a future franchise quarterback. Tyrod Taylor will likely enter camp as the starter. Herbert has been a big-time prospect for years now. He had a QB rating of 156.8, a nice quick delivery and a good amount of mobility.

7. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

I hate to use the phrase can't-miss prospect, but if you have seen Derrick Brown play it would be hard to disagree. The 6-foot-4, 323-pound Brown is a massive interior disruptor. He is a playmaker from the defensive tackle spot. Brown's arms look like they could be legs.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

The Cardinals have big plans to improve their offense. The addition of DeAndre Hopkins via trade proved that fact. Mekhi Becton is a 6-foot-7, 369-pound swing tackle. He is a big guy but he moves very well. The Cardinals need to improve their offensive line to show real improvements.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/20/nfl-mock-draft-post-free-agency-burrow-young-okudah

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do NFL teams generally draft for talent or need early on?

In my sport (AFL) rightly or wrongly there's a general rule of thumb that early rounds draft best available, regardless of position. Then in later rounds draft for need.

Couple of other general comments, interested if there are any parallels:

Some clubs believe that draft picks are overvalued in general, especially early picks. Given the speculative nature of the drafting, propensity for busts etc. That being the case they regularly trade down their picks. Or trade them away completely for known quantities.

Another theory is that some positions have higher hit/miss rates than others. In AFL tall players take longer to develop and it's harder to predict their ceiling. So it's tempting to go for smaller, running midfield players early on. Then trade for talls when they're a bit older.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If you are drafting an OT in the top 8...you should be drafting one that has a chance to be a LT.

Tier 1 -these 3 guys have rare talent
Okudah
Simmons
Becton

Trade down/Tier 2
Kinlaw
Ruggs

Edit: Flip flopping on Espenesa even with a trade down.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you are drafting an OT in the top 8...you should be drafting one that has a chance to be a LT.

Tier 1 -these 3 guys have rare talent
Okudah
Simmons
Becton

Trade down/Tier 2
Kinlaw
Ruggs
Espenesa (warming to the idea of him later in rd 1/picking up 2nd round pick)
Traditionally, the LT comment is right, but compounding the effectiveness of a #1 overall QB that just got rookie of the year probably has a greater effect than anything else. I don't care what position they're playing, as long as they're giving the QB a chance to dominate.

I love Simmons though! But if a tackle grades about evenly with the other options, I'm going RT.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Got to be the clickbatiest mock I’ve seen in some time. Dolphins trading up to 1? :lol:

Right now I’m leaving Becton fully knowing he’ll have some growing pains. I worry about his weight though.

The crazy thing is the dude is huge but not fat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without a 2nd round pick, I really can’t get behind Simmons now considering Niang will be gone long before our 3rd round pick.