I Could Be Proven Wrong

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Last season I said it would take 2 years for the Cards to become a playoff team. First I had no idea they’d expand the playoffs so soon. Second I had no idea Keim had those compromising pictures of Bill O'Brien. It’s the only explanation for the Hopkins trade that makes any sense. The Cards are only a third of the way home. They still need solI’d free agents and a good draft to finish the job. Parting with the second round pick, tough unquestionably worth it, means the draft will be more challenging.

The Cards have started free agency well. Jordan Phillips found another gear in 2019. He went from a decent DL to elite. If he can sustain his level of play, this was a huge get. His $10 mil per will put a dent in the cap, but with the pressure Jones already provides, Phillips shouldn’t face as many double teams as he did in Buffalo. Peters likely plays at DE though both he and Phillips can play either spot. If they put Phillips and Jones on the same side it’s a nightmare for most offenses. The Cards need to snag an affordable Edge rusher, like Kamalei Correa, though the Titans are trying to re-sign him. Add a couple of role players and FA is a success.

Turning to the draft, I think thoughts of Simmons or Okudah are unrealistic, especially the former, tough Okudah could actually be the earliest taken of the 2. I keep seeing mocks sending Simmons to Jax at 9. Yet no one I speak with in the business is expecting him to last that long. If he did, you take him. If he doesn’t trade down. What about all those great OTs? Part of drafting well is looking to the future. The 2021 draft likely ends up with a stronger OT selection, I do expect the Cards to pick lower then but not too low to get one. For one year the Cards can wait on an OT and keep working on Murray. We may not have seen his best yet. He is at least serviceable. With Hopkins added the Cards figure to continue to throw mostly short and medium routes. The existing line is likely good enough to work with this offense.

If they move down to 14 to 16 they could potentially pick up a 2nd rounder though they might have to throw in that fourth they just got. At 14-16 they could possibly still be looking at Thomas, Kinlaw, Chaisson or Murray. They could even take Jones who projects decently at RT. The new second could be Greenard or Uche potential edge rushers. Perhaps they’d consider someone like JK Dobbins. He’d be an excellent change of pace RB. He should be useful in short yardage. He can also burn clock by pounding an exhausted defensive line late in games. He’s well schooled and effective in picking up a blitz. So he could add useful protection.

Things have changed dramatically. Of course this pandemic will make it more challenging to play even an abbreviated schedule. I posted earlier some of what is being discussed. If the season becomes a reality, amazingly the Cards have a real chance to be a playoff. The just have to finish the offseason strong.

God no! Haven't we learned our lessons in the past? Don't give me draft flashbacks, Harry!

You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to trade up and give up a future 2nd and 3rd to get Simmons. That is how certain I think he is as a player and a player that can turn this team into a playoff team immediately.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually thought Thompson played very well in the last few games. It would be nice to have an experienced backup though.
Jalen played exceptional the last 3-4 games, was all around the football on almost every play. As for Deonte, VJ said during an interview they have a plan for him. Said the plan is too strengthen him up, add bulk & they can use him in several different ways. Covering TE's etc etc.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this can be a borderline playoff team with a good draft pick or two, and some more depth from the draft.
We were several missed opportunities away from 9-10 wins in 2019, defense couldn't get the stops required. With our off-season so far & a good draft, I see no reason to not be a serious contender for the additional wild card spot in 2020. The Rams have already lost Fowler, Brockers & Middleton, we may not even finish in last place in the NFC west?

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
And we just got LB Kennard. With a solid draft and the Rams getting thin on the D, I can see us actually competiing this year...I wouldn't have thought that just a few short months ago

Not only that, the Cards played tough both games against the 9ers. Lost one by 3 and SHOULD have lost the other by 4. I don't really count that garbage time TD. And did beat Seattle in Seattle, although they were minus some players IIRC. Still, this team has improved a bunch and will more after the draft I suspect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA