I Could Be Proven Wrong

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Last season I said it would take 2 years for the Cards to become a playoff team. First I had no idea they’d expand the playoffs so soon. Second I had no idea Keim had those compromising pictures of Bill O'Brien. It’s the only explanation for the Hopkins trade that makes any sense. The Cards are only a third of the way home. They still need solI’d free agents and a good draft to finish the job. Parting with the second round pick, tough unquestionably worth it, means the draft will be more challenging.

The Cards have started free agency well. Jordan Phillips found another gear in 2019. He went from a decent DL to elite. If he can sustain his level of play, this was a huge get. His $10 mil per will put a dent in the cap, but with the pressure Jones already provides, Phillips shouldn’t face as many double teams as he did in Buffalo. Peters likely plays at DE though both he and Phillips can play either spot. If they put Phillips and Jones on the same side it’s a nightmare for most offenses. The Cards need to snag an affordable Edge rusher, like Kamalei Correa, though the Titans are trying to re-sign him. Add a couple of role players and FA is a success.

Turning to the draft, I think thoughts of Simmons or Okudah are unrealistic, especially the former, tough Okudah could actually be the earliest taken of the 2. I keep seeing mocks sending Simmons to Jax at 9. Yet no one I speak with in the business is expecting him to last that long. If he did, you take him. If he doesn’t trade down. What about all those great OTs? Part of drafting well is looking to the future. The 2021 draft likely ends up with a stronger OT selection, I do expect the Cards to pick lower then but not too low to get one. For one year the Cards can wait on an OT and keep working on Murray. We may not have seen his best yet. He is at least serviceable. With Hopkins added the Cards figure to continue to throw mostly short and medium routes. The existing line is likely good enough to work with this offense.

If they move down to 14 to 16 they could potentially pick up a 2nd rounder though they might have to throw in that fourth they just got. At 14-16 they could possibly still be looking at Thomas, Kinlaw, Chaisson or Murray. They could even take Jones who projects decently at RT. The new second could be Greenard or Uche potential edge rushers. Perhaps they’d consider someone like JK Dobbins. He’d be an excellent change of pace RB. He should be useful in short yardage. He can also burn clock by pounding an exhausted defensive line late in games. He’s well schooled and effective in picking up a blitz. So he could add useful protection.

Things have changed dramatically. Of course this pandemic will make it more challenging to play even an abbreviated schedule. I posted earlier some of what is being discussed. If the season becomes a reality, amazingly the Cards have a real chance to be a playoff. The just have to finish the offseason strong.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I want Simmons at #8. But wouldn't surprise me at all of they go with Lamb. Would be the perfect scenario to allow Lamb to learn under true greats such as Fitz and Hopkins, and when Fitz finally hangs 'em up, Lamb is ready to step in and not miss a beat...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want Simmons at #8. But wouldn't surprise me at all of they go with Lamb. Would be the perfect scenario to allow Lamb to learn under true greats such as Fitz and Hopkins, and when Fitz finally hangs 'em up, Lamb is ready to step in and not miss a beat...

lol no

Reactions: HGC

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I am just more optimistic than most.

If we had brought the same team back based off the last 4 games I already expected this team to compete for the playoffs.

In the last few games, our run game was very good, our defense was about average thanks to Peterson and Thompson stepping up, and Murray had begun to learn how to run when needed.

Now with Hopkins and Drake coming back - I feel very good this team is just going to be able to outscore most teams. Hopkins is a 3rd down conversion machine, combine that with Murray learning how to scramble and we are going to be hard to get off the field.

I am still concerned about the MLB spot and depth, but our starters are good enough to make the playoffs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’m assuming Lamb. The Cardinals have a very good group of receivers right now and have invested heavily into the position the past 2 years. At some point they have to invest in other positions.

Don't disagree at all! But, if Simmons isn't there at #8 and Lamb is, would it really be surprising to see Keim grab Lamb? I don't think so...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nuk
Fitz
Kirk
Andy
Butler
Johnson
Sherfield - Cooper?

Lamb would cost us a ST Ace like Sherfield or Cooper UNLESS we do what I have been thinking about all week. Cut Keesean Johnson.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't disagree at all! But, if Simmons isn't there at #8 and Lamb is, would it really be surprising to see Keim grab Lamb? I don't think so...

It wouldn't bother me if they trade down in the 1st and pick a WR, just can't see it happening if they stay at 8.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Harry, post: 4174725, member:] Second I had no idea Keim had those compromising pictures of Bill O'Brien. It’s the only explanation for the Hopkins trade that makes any sense. [/QUOTE]

:yeahthat: :p :newcards:

They will get a cheap young good stud there at 40 however. It's a great spot in the draft.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That just makes Wirfs even more attractive to me since he might be an All Pro Guard. Nothing wrong with 2 years of O Line

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave