Kenyan Drake Gets the Transition Tag

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Look at Derrick Henry. He had a game with 22 yards. In today’s game we are done swing rb’s going for over 100 yds week after week after week.
Dude, you gotta stop bringing up Derrick Henry. It's an awful comp. He has twice the YPG over his career as Kenyan Drake.

Henry had two games under 60 yards, Drake had 9.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I suppose we just disagree about what counts as a good game vs. what are atrocious games. I know fantasy football doesn't count, but over his mid-tenure stretch, he was a bad player. The whole team was, and we played tough teams, but in the NFL, you play tough teams. You can't factor your trust in a guy on powder-puff matchups.

Extrapolate his career out from the Cardinals for 16 games and it's 1286 yards, 16 TDs, and 80.4 YPG.

Take the whole thing, including his success with the Cards, and it's a year of 561 yards, 4 TDs, and 35.1 YPG. Those would be worst in the league.

That's all with an 8 game vs. 62 game sample size. I can't think of a single RB, not even a player, in NFL history whose success emerged after 62 games of this.
A 1000 yard back would have to average about 67 yards per game. Therefor I would call anything around that with at least around 4 YPC to be about an average game. He had 3 games that were certainly somewhere between very bad and below average, but I don't know if I can call any of them atrocious as it's not like he had any games where he was turning the ball over. He just had a few games where he struggled to gain yards, but every back has those games sometimes when playing a stout defensive line.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A 1000 yard back would have to average about 67 yards per game. Therefor I would call anything around that with at least around 4 YPC to be about an average game. He had 3 games that were certainly somewhere between very bad and below average, but I don't know if I can call any of them atrocious as it's not like he had any games where he was turning the ball over. He just had a few games where he struggled to gain yards, but every back has those games sometimes when playing a stout defensive line.
I wouldn't give him a hard time if it were an anomaly over his career. Everyone has a bad stretch of games.

Drake's games in his career are overwhelmingly bad. He has 12 games over 60 yards.

Everyone who keeps harping on his YPC ignores the majorly low volume he's had. Hand him the kind of load Gordon or a similar RB gets, and it will plummet.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wouldn't give him a hard time if it were an anomaly over his career. Everyone has a bad stretch of games.

Drake's games in his career are overwhelmingly bad. He has 12 games over 60 yards.

Everyone who keeps harping on his YPC ignores the majorly low volume he's had. Hand him the kind of load Gordon or a similar RB gets, and it will plummet.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he should or will be a workhorse back, but this offense doesn't really need that guy. I see him as a guy that could potentially put up about 1500 all purpose yards and occasionally bust off a big run. He is not going to get paid like a top end workhorse back and thus I don't think we need to worry about whether or not he can be that guy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, you gotta stop bringing up Derrick Henry. It's an awful comp. He has twice the YPG over his career as Kenyan Drake.

Henry had two games under 60 yards, Drake had 9.
I was referring to the posters observation of great games, good games and not so good games. Not comparing Drake to Henry.Although Drake is a better receiver...:)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting he should or will be a workhorse back, but this offense doesn't really need that guy. I see him as a guy that could potentially put up about 1500 all purpose yards and occasionally bust off a big run. He is not going to get paid like a top end workhorse back and thus I don't think we need to worry about whether or not he can be that guy.
Much of the argument in these threads have been that Drake is the answer. With David Johnson gone, there's a concerning idea that he's supposed to be a workhorse back.

Drake wants to be paid like a workhorse back. In argument in this thread, he's better than Melvin Gordon, who has been a workhorse back.

If he's not going to be our #1 RB, well, fine. But that's been my argument. He should be at best, a low-mid paid part of a carousel.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Much of the argument in these threads have been that Drake is the answer. With David Johnson gone, there's a concerning idea that he's supposed to be a workhorse back.

Drake wants to be paid like a workhorse back. In argument in this thread, he's better than Melvin Gordon, who has been a workhorse back.

If he's not going to be our #1 RB, well, fine. But that's been my argument. He should be at best, a low-mid paid part of a carousel.
Except the answer for this team is not a workhorse type back. Actually most teams have gone more towards a "RB by committee" approach and have continued to put more emphasis on having versatile RB's and that's what Drake is. He is a versatile RB that can bust off some highlight runs and is a solid receiver out of the backfield. All we need from him is about 20ish efficient touches per game and I don't see why he couldn't provide just that.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I said I'd be interested in Melvin Gordon and got ripped on. It's tiresome to watch you jump up and down in excitement in every thread like we've been a 10-win team for years running. I'm not blocking anyone, but if you find me tiresome, block me, and stop telling me what to say. I don't want to create any bad blood, but it is what it is. I'm going to call players like I see them - generally how the rest of the NFL sees them.

Do you? Gordon was great in every factor of the game in 2018. It's why he was offered 10 million per. He didn't look very good in 2019. Career wise, he blows Drake out of the water.

No one but Cardinals fans say different.

I'd rather start a hungry UDFA from an NAIA than a guy who thought it was smart to sit out a season in his prime.

At least it worked out... For Ekeler lmao!!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Except the answer for this team is not a workhorse type back. Actually most teams have gone more towards a "RB by committee" approach and have continued to put more emphasis on having versatile RB's and that's what Drake is. He is a versatile RB that can bust off some highlight runs and is a solid receiver out of the backfield. All we need from him is about 20ish efficient touches per game and I don't see why he couldn't provide just that.
If that’s all you want, I’m cool with it for sure!

He’ll need to be paid like that, and the team will need to add someone valuable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If that’s all you want, I’m cool with it for sure!

He’ll need to be paid like that, and the team will need to add someone valuable.
That player is likely worth what Drake is likely going to get (something like $7-8m/y?).

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over his mid-tenure stretch, he was a bad player.
This is about the 20th time i've seen you post this. It's almost as though you look back at his stats for those games and declare his performance to be bad, without having watched the games. Did he take over the games and power the Cardinals to victory? No. But if you remember actually watching the games, or go back and re-read the game threads, NO ONE was saying, "Wow, Drake looks bad." or "Gee, i guess last week was a fluke because Drake sucks this week."

Against TB, the Rams (1st game), and Pittsburgh he averaged 11 carries. At TB, he had 10 carries for 35 yards. David Johnson (not that he's a loft comparison, but he's the only other RB who touched the ball) had 5 carries for 2 yards. That was the #1 rushing D in the league and the game became a shootout where Murray passed 44 times for 324 yards. Versus the Rams (#9 defense in rushing y/a) Drake was 13-31 (plus 2-20 receiving) in a game where the Cards fell behind early and got stomped 34-7. At Pittsburgh (#3 defense in rushing y/a) Drake was 11-37 (plus 3-30 receiving).

If the whole season went like those three games, no one would be have very high expectations for him. But repeatedly harping on how "awful" Drake was during that stretch seems like willful negativity for the sake of having a take.

...dbs

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue with 8mil for one year potentially. No long term deals for a RB under any circumstance and a 1 year deal keeps him hungry. Draft a guy in the 4-5th every other season.

Reaction score

I'm not certain if you know how badly managed Miami has been the last four seasons, and how mis-used (or perhaps un-used) K. Drake has been.

Guess what Drake's career YPG average is when getting more than 20 carries per game? Granted it is a small sample (4 games), but the YPG average is 134.25 YPG, and in none of those games did he have more than 25 carries. Yet his career YPC is 4.8. (4.8 YPC X 20 = 96) Give Drake a consistent 18-22 carries per game and he should average 100 yards per game.

Except 20 carries per game in today's NFL is a workhorse RB. The good thing is there should be a lot of tread still on those tires, because Drake has not been heavily used, if anything, he has been under-used!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're telling me that with two full games less, no Pouncey, barely any Russell Okung all year, missing starting and backup guards and tackles, a legitimately good RB to split time with, and a new Offensive Coordinator, Gordon almost produced as much as Kenyan Drake? Not selling me.

How about Gordon's 63.3 YPG career average to Drake's pathetic 35.1?

Drake had a flash of three better games than Gordon. He's still a never was.

I'll still take Drake all day over Gordon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain if you know how badly managed Miami has been the last four seasons, and how mis-used (or perhaps un-used) K. Drake has been.

Guess what Drake's career YPG average is when getting more than 20 carries per game? Granted it is a small sample (4 games), but the YPG average is 134.25 YPG, and in none of those games did he have more than 25 carries. Yet his career YPC is 4.8. (4.8 YPC X 20 = 96) Give Drake a consistent 18-22 carries per game and he should average 100 yards per game.

Except 20 carries per game in today's NFL is a workhorse RB. The good thing is there should be a lot of tread still on those tires, because Drake has not been heavily used, if anything, he has been under-used!
Solar response in 3-2-1....

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jordan Howard getting 5 million a yr from the Dolphins. Does that help our case in keeping Drake?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Jordan Howard getting 5 million a yr from the Dolphins. Does that help our case in keeping Drake?

Howard has been good when healthy

just hasn't been healthy enough

so I don't think it does

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That’s why I said about 20 “touches”. Something like 15 carries and 5 receptions.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is about the 20th time i've seen you post this. It's almost as though you look back at his stats for those games and declare his performance to be bad, without having watched the games. Did he take over the games and power the Cardinals to victory? No. But if you remember actually watching the games, or go back and re-read the game threads, NO ONE was saying, "Wow, Drake looks bad." or "Gee, i guess last week was a fluke because Drake sucks this week."

Against TB, the Rams (1st game), and Pittsburgh he averaged 11 carries. At TB, he had 10 carries for 35 yards. David Johnson (not that he's a loft comparison, but he's the only other RB who touched the ball) had 5 carries for 2 yards. That was the #1 rushing D in the league and the game became a shootout where Murray passed 44 times for 324 yards. Versus the Rams (#9 defense in rushing y/a) Drake was 13-31 (plus 2-20 receiving) in a game where the Cards fell behind early and got stomped 34-7. At Pittsburgh (#3 defense in rushing y/a) Drake was 11-37 (plus 3-30 receiving).

If the whole season went like those three games, no one would be have very high expectations for him. But repeatedly harping on how "awful" Drake was during that stretch seems like willful negativity for the sake of having a take.

...dbs
Maybe not on this board, but I was literally listening to multiple podcasts over that stretch calling Drake a bad player, and worth completely dropping in fantasy leagues. I watched the games. He was a non-factor. Boo-hoo, they were good teams. Guess what? We will play good teams in 2020.

I'm not buying that Miami was just so poorly coached that they were hiding a bunch of secret superstars. Some players that might be better in a new environment? Some. But Drake got a whole new coaching staff and didn't get play over such hot names as Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton. That's something more than just system.

I've paid plenty of attention to his previous team. He's mediocre, they're bad, he's barely worth paying.

I'll still take Drake all day over Gordon.
Right on, but very few people who cover the NFL for a living would, if cost were the same. Drake is not rated over Gordon on almost any free agent lists. I searched yesterday and found a whopping 1.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Maybe not on this board, but I was literally listening to multiple podcasts over that stretch calling Drake a bad player, and worth completely dropping in fantasy leagues. I watched the games. He was a non-factor. Boo-hoo, they were good teams. Guess what? We will play good teams in 2020.

I'm not buying that Miami was just so poorly coached that they were hiding a bunch of secret superstars. Some players that might be better in a new environment? Some. But Drake got a whole new coaching staff and didn't get play over such hot names as Kalen Ballage and Mark Walton. That's something more than just system.

I've paid plenty of attention to his previous team. He's mediocre, they're bad, he's barely worth paying.

Right on, but very few people who cover the NFL for a living would, if cost were the same. Drake is not rated over Gordon on almost any free agent lists. I searched yesterday and found a whopping 1.

Who’s podcast? Why don’t you share them with us so we can see if they have an ounce of credibility.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Who’s podcast? Why don’t you share them with us so we can see if they have an ounce of credibility.
Both ESPN's Fantasy Focus and Bill Barnwell's show, including Fantasy Footballers.

On a less sourced note, the dude was dropped in every single one of my fantasy leagues before the Browns game outside of dynasty and 18-league formats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave