Tristan Wirfs vs Jedrick Willis: Who is the best tackle prospect?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wirfs!

Jedrick Wills, Alabama (6-4, 312):Teams have had marginal success drafting Crimson Tide offensive linemen during the Nick Saban era. “We weren’t as firm on him as some of the other ones,” one scout said in reference to the other leading tackles in the draft. “He’s a pretty good athlete. Pretty strong. Shows some nasty. He played right tackle there but he looked like he can play left tackle.” One scout brought up Jonah Williams, the Alabama left tackle in 2017 and 2018 who was the 11th pick last year. “Jonah Williams is an all-star compared to this guy,” he said. “Awful. He’s upright. He’s a stiff guy.” He ran 5.06 seconds. “I’m not crazy about him but people love him,” said a third scout. “Every time I watched him, I didn’t see a really good athlete. Worked outwell. I just don’t see the movement, finish, talent of a first-rounder. I do not think he could play lefttackle.”

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ill take Wills if Simmons, Okudah, and Brown are gone.

I just think those 3 fill major needs, and have extremely limited options either on our roster, in FA, or in the later rounds.

Wills is the best RT in the draft, and it sounds like he is a hard enough worker that if we asked him to move to LT in 3 years he would make it work.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Honestly I’d be very happy with either one of them. I don’t know which guy is better but I believe both have a chance to be very good.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I would be fine with either one at this point but if the Cardinals truly believe in Sean Kugler's ability to develop OL talent then they will probably choose Wirfs and his high ceiling over the more polished Wills.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of the OTs stand out as a can't miss prospect. That is my concern on taking one at #8 versus an outstanding defense player like LB Simmons, DT Brown or CB Okudah. The so called draft experts are all over the board on which OT is best. IMO take the best defense player at #8 and pick an OT on round 3 or 4 and let OL coach Kugler develop him.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we draft the first tackle... The second tackle picked will be the best.
If we take the 2nd tackle off the board, The first one will be an all-pro

Sorry folks, I'm a realist.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wills over Wirfs for the RT. I don’t want to see either at 8 though. If Okudah, Brown and Simmons are gone, trade down into the teens and get a 2nd rounder back. While we are on the subject though, I think the Cards like the tackle from USC in the late 1st or early-mid 2nd.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All the top OTs had a fantastic combine, but Wirfs and Beckton shined.

That Makes this interesting, because both are most like only RT prospects.

Seeing How much all our linemen sans Murray were out in space and on the Second level, I doubt Beckton is the choice. He’s simply not the Best fit.

DJ of nfl.com has speculated that wilfs would be a Good RT But an all Pro guard. I Think the combine showed he Can be a RT, but Maybe DJ’s point is valid if the question is Moving him to LT.

So are We drafting a RT Or a RT to become LT?

i btw like the idea to move down in the draft if none of the stud D players are there. Move down to 12th / teens and Pick up more picks.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Wirfs actually had to fill in at LT a little and looked decent. He’s a far better athlete. There’s an old mantra among scouts. If you grade 2 players very close, pick the best athlete. I agree with the assessment that Wills is stiff. He’s a waist bender not a knee bender. This limitshis leverage. He’s also not mean enough for me to rank him above the others. I’d put him 5th or 6th among the OTs. I will readily admit several see him more favorably

Both Wirfs and Becton blew up the Combine. I don’t know anyone who expected those numbers out of him. Now that the Cards have a real line coach, his upside projection is exciting. Becton is a giant among men who played very well in 2019. His size alone slows pass rusher’s time. He was the most improved guy in the group. Lots of scouts favor the players that’s showing steady, recent improvement. It often means a greater upside. Like Wirfs, no one expected Becton’s Combine numbers. No lineman his size has produced numbers like his.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like both.

I think Wirfs is the better athlete and a better fit for our blocking scheme.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wills over Wirfs for the RT. I don’t want to see either at 8 though. If Okudah, Brown and Simmons are gone, trade down into the teens and get a 2nd rounder back. While we are on the subject though, I think the Cards like the tackle from USC in the late 1st or early-mid 2nd.
Imagine trading back for a scrub like Austin Jackson.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wirfs/Wills either guy I’m good with at 8. I think Wills is the more natural RT and Wirfs might end up at Guard eventually. Jesus could you imagine

DJ
Wirfs
Shipley
Sweezy
Murray

that’s pretty damn good.

if we trade back I’d be good with Thomas to. He’s kind of getting lost in the shuffle cause he’s not the freak athlete the other guys are but he’s the most sound. I’m sorry you don’t just dominate the SEC like that year in and year out and not be good.

I want no part of Becton a typical draft riser one year wonder who blew up the combine. No thanks.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few days back an article on ROTB had a VG comparison of the two OT's. With the use of videos a very knowledgeable guy gave the edge to Wills. Suggest everyone read it, and see what you think. He did say that both were VG, I believe.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Josh Jones? Trade back target?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Such a deep draft at T.

Best could very well turn out to be Becton or someone else off the top 10-12 radar. One of the Georgia T's....or?

Scheme fit will be huge. Who the most mobile will be. So for different teams different prospects.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose