Jordan Phillips signed for 3 years

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
5-6 sacks a year is fine, also I understand he is great at stopping the run. Just what some Bills where saying.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody “lucks” into 9.5 sacks

3 of them were vs the Titans when Marriota was holding on to the ball like a blankey.

It was his 1st real year in a 3-4 which obvs suits him better than the 4-3 he had at Miami but it's too much money for a one season wonder.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
no reason to think the guy can't produce 6+ consistently .

No reason?!? Have you checked his stats out? Care to guess his 2nd best sack year? (spolier - it's 2)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJo01.htm

Dreaming is free, but there is nothing to indicate Phillips is going to be a big sack guy.

Even worse...the issue is that the sacks didn’t come as a result of Phillips winning more of his pass-rushes or showing dominant reps with quick wins. In fact, Phillips had the lowest PFF pass-rushing grade of his career this season at 60.2.

10 of his 25 total pressures resulted in sacks — an extremely high rate — and a good chunk of those sacks came with the quarterback tucking the ball and running into his waiting arms. As a player who has yet to crack an overall grade of 60.0 in a season, it would behoove teams to not spend big money on Phillips chasing his sack total.

Care to make a wager on that 6+ sacks prediction?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
5-6 sacks a year is fine, also I understand he is great at stopping the run. Just what some Bills where saying.

Great at stopping the run? According to who?

"He especially disappoints as a run defender where he doesn’t regularly anchor or maintain his run fits. Whether it’s getting driven out of his gap or shooting too far up the field on run plays, he puts the second level of the defense in compromising situations when attempting to play downhill."

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 of them were vs the Titans when Marriota was holding on to the ball like a blankey.

It was his 1st real year in a 3-4 which obvs suits him better than the 4-3 he had at Miami but it's too much money for a one season wonder.

The Cards are not a "not for profit' foundation; if they could have had him for less, they would have.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Decent signing 6 sacks isn't to bad at all and he is a big dt

Now let's focus on another lber and oline

Help speed up rebuild

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
No reason?!? Have you checked his stats out? Care to guess his 2nd best sack year? (spolier - it's 2)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJo01.htm

Dreaming is free, but there is nothing to indicate Phillips is going to be a big sack guy.

Even worse...the issue is that the sacks didn’t come as a result of Phillips winning more of his pass-rushes or showing dominant reps with quick wins. In fact, Phillips had the lowest PFF pass-rushing grade of his career this season at 60.2.

10 of his 25 total pressures resulted in sacks — an extremely high rate — and a good chunk of those sacks came with the quarterback tucking the ball and running into his waiting arms. As a player who has yet to crack an overall grade of 60.0 in a season, it would behoove teams to not spend big money on Phillips chasing his sack total.

Care to make a wager on that 6+ sacks prediction?

Perhaps the 3-4 was better than the 4-3 he was in previously or perhaps he finally matured as a player? A player doesn't produce at that rate in the NFL and all of a sudden "it's a fluke", maybe he won't maintain that rate but there is no reason to think he can't produce similar numbers in the future. Players tend to hit their stride in their late 20's and that is exactly where he is.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Great at stopping the run? According to who?

"He especially disappoints as a run defender where he doesn’t regularly anchor or maintain his run fits. Whether it’s getting driven out of his gap or shooting too far up the field on run plays, he puts the second level of the defense in compromising situations when attempting to play downhill."
As I said I didn’t watch him just going off what Bill fans where saying. Most of them say the guy is a great tackle hard to move on the run and makes big plays. I’m not a expert just going off the fan base that watched him play. I’ll ask my cousin he is a huge bills fan and very knowledgeable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps the 3-4 was better than the 4-3 he was in previously or perhaps he finally matured as a player?

Maybe, but I'm not paying 10M per year to find out.

A player doesn't produce at that rate in the NFL and all of a sudden "it's a fluke",

Yeah, flukey seasons happen ALL THE TIME. There is plenty of evidence that his #'s are an outlier, and not sustainable, between the ridiculous 10 of 25 pressures resulting in a sack, and NEVER HAVING MORE THAN 2 SACKS IN ANY OTHER SEASON. What could be more flukey than that?

maybe he won't maintain that rate but there is no reason to think he can't produce similar numbers in the future.

Yes, there is!!! See above!!

Players tend to hit their stride in their late 20's and that is exactly where he is.

Possibly, but I wouldn't bet 10M per year on it. Again - if you were a gambling man, would you seriously expect 6+ sacks?

Considering our current cap situation and all the available free agents, do you really feel our big money contract should go to a guy like Phillips?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Maybe, but I'm not paying 10M per year to find out.

Yeah, flukey seasons happen ALL THE TIME. There is plenty of evidence that his #'s are an outlier, and not sustainable, between the ridiculous 10 of 25 pressures resulting in a sack, and NEVER HAVING MORE THAN 2 SACKS IN ANY OTHER SEASON. What could be more flukey than that?

Yes, there is!!! See above!!

Possibly, but I wouldn't bet 10M per year on it. Again - if you were a gambling man, would you seriously expect 6+ sacks?

Considering our current cap situation and all the available free agents, do you really feel our big money contract should go to a guy like Phillips?

You seem very angry about this. You ok?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ha, you have nothing to defend your position, so you go "you mad bro". I get it.

I just don't get the shake my fist at the sky reaction--he is signed, he is a Cardinal, hope for the best. My belief is last year is more typical of what we will get than what he put up previously...you think otherwise, your opinion (and it is an opinion) is no more valid than mine. I am just not all "grrr" I know best about it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, a team drafts a player and we always talk about how said players will need to be coached up and given time to develop.

Everybody has an opinion of any player signed, traded, or cut.

This kid is just reaching his prime. The Bills has Oliver so it makes sense to let Phillips walk. But don’t you think it’s at least possible he has reached his stride and ready to excel?

He’s 27 years old and let’s not say it’s 10 m a year until we see the details.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can agree with this statement. But in the larger scope of things, I'm so happy about Hopkins that I don't have the energy to be frustrated about it. Of course, we'll see how the rest of FA/the draft goes.

If he's the only way significant way we address the DL the rest of the offseason, I won't be happy.

Edit: To avoid double posting, I'll respond to @slanidrac16 here - this just echoes some of our arguments, my friend. It's tough to keep believing that we're signing all of these players who are "just hitting their stride" but haven't ever really done much. Is it really that tough for us to bring in someone who has been a consistent player?

I can't remember this strategy from Keim any time before this Kingsbury year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I just don't get the shake my fist at he sky--he is signed, he is a Cardinal, hope for the best.

I HOPE he is the second coming of Aaron Donald, but hope is not a plan, and nothing that he's done so far as an NFL player indicates that last year is anything other than an outlier. Clearly the Bills thought so, as they had plenty of cap space, and didn't make any effort to re-sign him.

My belief is last year is more typical of what we will get that what he put up previously...you think otherwise, your opinion (and it is an opinion) is no more valid than mine. I am just not all "grrr" I know best about it.

You can believe whatever the hell you want, but it doesn't make your opinion as valid as others. Plenty of people have presented loads of evidence that last year was a fluke. You defend all that with nothing other than "my belief is last year is more typical of what we will get that (sic) what he put up previously".

Please indicate why you believe as much, other than kool aid optimism.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Of course, we'll see how the rest of FA/the draft goes.

If he's the only way significant way we address the DL the rest of the offseason, I won't be happy.

Indeed. I'm over the moon about Hopkins, but now that we've spent 10M on Phillips, realistically, we're not going to have enough money to make any other major splashes.

Did anyone on the board even mention Phillips, even considering our massive hole at DT?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You can believe whatever the hell you want, but it doesn't make your opinion as valid as others.

I am saying the exact thing back to you. There is exactly ZERO proof of future success or failure...NONE as nobody can see the future. We won't know until next season--you can come back pound your chest and say "I told you so" if that happens and I will admit I was wrong.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. 10M for a one year wonder? We have limited cap space, and Phillips isn't the guy I'd be betting big $ on.
Lorenzo Alexander said he was a great teammate in Buffalo and that he thought the light went on for Phillips when he had a kid. He became a pros pro.

So, that is another take.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am saying the exact thing back to you. There is exactly ZERO proof of future success or failure...NONE as nobody can see the future. We won't know until next season--you can come back pound your chest and say "I told you so" if that happens and I will admit I was wrong.

So you're saying there is no way to predict how a player will perform, based on 5 years of prior performance, and nothing that he's done indicates anything about whether or not he'll be a good signing moving forward.

You must be registered for see images

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lorenzo Alexander said he was a great teammate in Buffalo and that he thought the light went on for Phillips when he had a kid. He became a pros pro.

So, that is another take.

That's good - I'm happy that Zo said he's a good teammate, and there are indications that he's maturing.

AJ - if you were in charge of FA, does this seem like the kind of player to acquire as your big FA acquisition?