So, Free Agency is here!

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Besides the Houston trade and Drake haven’t heard anything. Are the Cards notoriously hush, hush or they play the wait game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don’t think they are going to make anymore splash type moves. if I had to guess they’ll sign a few solid veteran defensive free agents, average NFL starter types. I think they will do the quantity over quality thing this offseason.

if they can get the defense to be merely average that will be good progress...I am confident the offense will be solid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they are going to make anymore splash type moves. if I had to guess they’ll sign a few solid veteran defensive free agents, average NFL starter types. I think they will do the quantity over quality thing this offseason.

if they can get the defense to be merely average that will be good progress...I am confident the offense will be solid.

I don't think they have the cap space to do much more without restructuring.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something? They have a net gain with the DJ trade ant the Drake tag was only 8ish.

I will freely admit that I don't understand the contracts in the NFL as much as I should, but DJ had a cap hit of 14.2 million. Isn't that about the same as what we owe for DeAndre?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did I miss something? They have a net gain with the DJ trade ant the Drake tag was only 8ish.

according to OTC we have just under $22 million as of now...with Hopkins on the roster, Drake at the tag amount and David Johnson dead money.

Not sure what the rookie pool is but that will push us in to the teens—not a ton of money but enough to sign some quality second tier guys unless they get super creative.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
according to OTC we have just under $22 million as of now...with Hopkins on the roster, Drake at the tag amount and David Johnson dead money.

Not sure what the rookie pool is but that will push us in to the teens—not a ton of money but enough to sign some quality second tier guys unless they get super creative.

How much dead money do we have for DJ? I know that the Texans have to eat 3M in dead money.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh..I'm starting to think we go defense in the draft. Probably overreacting though.

Oh man, what I would give for Simmons at 8. I started day drinking when I heard the news about trading DJ for Hopkins. If we get Simmons at 8, I will have to check myself in somewhere.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will let the market settle. I don’t think we will make any moves or hear much until Friday at the earliest.

I also think Drakes number will come down or someone will make an offer we won’t match. Ekelers deal seems fair and one I would think Drake would take.

we could also extend Hopkins and lower this years cap.

I don’t think we’ll sign anybody like Littleton.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can sign anybody with just some extensions. Creative cap space can easily be had with 10 mil of dead cap coming off in 2021

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want Joe Schobert, Snacks Harrison, Darquez Dennard, and Conner McGovern.

We should be able to sign a of them with our cap space

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I predict the Cards will get a new deal done for Hopkins very quickly - and that it will be a win/win as Hop will get the contract he really wants, and the Cards will load it up with signing bonus money that can be spread over the life of the deal - resulting in more cap money being available NOW. Clearly this was the plan when they consummated the deal, and has no doubt already been communicated to Hop & his agent. If they can get this done quickly, they'll be able to adjust their spending plans in free agency early in the game, and perhaps snag a gem or two.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Remember everyone saying we have a decent amount of cap space to fill a lot of the holes on the roster?

We have got 2 players (nice pieces but still) and kept 2 from last year and now we are pretty much done!

Got to remember the rookie class might take around $5 million

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose