DJ traded to the Texans for DeAndre Freaking Hopkins

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With their salaries being pretty close does that mean the Cards still pretty much have the same cap space? Not sure how it’s all impacted by trading the players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Keim feels he can recover those picks in the upcoming drafts or makeup for it in free agency or trades.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is crazy. I have given Keim plenty of crap (for good reason), and I can't wait to see extension numbers for Hopkins, but Nuk is an incredible get. And getting rid of DJ is pretty incredible, too. Man, what a start to the offseason!

Way to go, SK!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208/

If this is right, Keim absolutely fleeced Houston. Hopkins is under $14M for the next three years with $0 guaranteed coming over to us. We could free up additional cap space at any time by extending him for 2 years (his current contract ends in 2022 when he's 30).
Rumor is the FBI has opened an armed robbery investigation.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Already feel we won Free agency.

If this trade has gone down the way it’s being reported I’m going to take back damn near everything Ive said about Steve Keim since I joined this board.
To get DJ off the books and give up a 2nd for arguably the best receiver in the league is highway ******* robbery. If they bring Drake back and he performs like he did last year this offense could be lethal.
Now we can quit talking about Lamb or Jeudy and focus on Wirfs, Wills, Simmons, Brown and possibly Okudah.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208/

If this is right, Keim absolutely fleeced Houston. Hopkins is under $14M for the next three years with $0 guaranteed coming over to us. We could free up additional cap space at any time by extending him for 2 years (his current contract ends in 2022 when he's 30).

No word yet but do we take all of his pro rated bonus or does TX pay that? If we dont then it is only 12.5M which is a very good deal.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread I would have given up Kirk to keep our 2nd rounder. Still a good deal.

The ONE issue with adding Hopkins.....Fitz is here.

The Texans offense/Hopkins really went off when Will Fuller used his speed to open things up. Fitz/Hopkins dont really allow for that. Fitz isnt the speed threat so that Hopkins can work underneath. Still a good deal. Hopkins gives us the #1 we need going forward.

However, its still important that Isabella or another speedster emerges.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.

I can't believe it. We have a TRUE #1 WR now and don't have to spend 8 on one. This allows us to get one of the stud players on the board that isn't a QB, Simmons, Brown, Okudah, etc.

This move if it works out as we expect, saves Keim's job, at least in my eyes.

WOW.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread I would have given up Kirk to keep our 2nd rounder. Still a good deal.

The ONE issue with adding Hopkins.....Fitz is here.

The Texans offense/Hopkins really went off when Will Fuller used his speed to open things up. Fitz/Hopkins dont really allow for that. Fitz isnt the speed threat so that Hopkins can work underneath. Still a good deal. Hopkins gives us the #1 we need going forward.

However, its still important that Isabella or another speedster emerges.

I think you are nitpicking here.

This deal is insanely good.

We should trade down a few spots to get a second back now.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm kinda left wondering why they'd let Hopkins go, especially if the contract numbers are so sweet.

Sure, most top shelf WRs have a bit of a "me" problem but I wish we had an official drama rating on DeAndre.

But anyways, I like the move(s). I'd give this trade around a B+ for Keim and the Cardinals