NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 2 days is the earliest, 5 days is the typical or average timeframe, something like that.

Yeah, I went to the CDC to double check and they are saying symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doomsday provision regarding salaries to players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
3/13/20, 11:29 AM
There's been no discussion about the league/owners trying to trigger the Force Majeure should the season be lost because of coronavirus pandemic -- but union clearly wants to make sure players understand it exists.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the remainder of the season is cancelled there will be a sharp drop on the salary cap next season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the remainder of the season is cancelled there will be a sharp drop on the salary cap next season.

I heard the same thing, which means that the Suns really screwed themselves by not trading Tyler Johnson, Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky for longer term deals when they had the chance, deciding instead to sit on the cap space that is about to evaporate entirely. The result will be that we are stuck with this awful and ridiculously thin roster for at least one more lost season.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Holy smokes wow... so what no playoffs now..

That kind of sucks was looking forward to seeing if lakers would win it all or bucks

Suns are probably like whew early vacation hahaha. .. u suck sarver

Amen. Lakers suck also. What a rotten way to end a disappointing season, I mean with all the injuries and the FLUKE start. At least Booker was an all star and Bridges showed us things.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People forget that humor is a common coping mechanism, no one is saying it wasn't stupid but watch the video people were laughing , most people are able to separate reality from a joke , he was just trying to be funny he wasn't making light of the fact people are dying , I have no problem with him trying to bring in humor to lighten the mood
I’m sorry you and hoops head don’t get it. Unfortunately that makes the two of you as dangerous as ******* Gobert. No offense, but I hope I’m never around you guys when something serious is on the line. You just don’t endanger people needlessly. As I said before, if making a tasteless joke is absolutely necessary, make it a verbal one. But don’t literally and purposefully do something that scientists are telling you not to as a freaking joke.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I’m sorry you and hoops head don’t get it. Unfortunately that makes the two of you as dangerous as ******* Gobert. No offense, but I hope I’m never around you guys when something serious is on the line. You just don’t endanger people needlessly. As I said before, if making a tasteless joke is absolutely necessary, make it a verbal one. But don’t literally and purposefully do something that scientists are telling you not to as a freaking joke.
We don't get it hahaha? Why because I won't crucify someone for making a bad joke? No one is saying he wasn't a ******* for the joke I don't see the need to strip the man of his career over it. I'm not out here touching microphones but I'm not gonna say he's done anything worse then what I'm sure we've all done. I don't have cornavirus but i was in China for a week from Jan 23-30, I never felt sick but I left, didn't get checked , I see students every day since, well up until classes were cancelled, should I be severely punished? For possibly endangering lives on the off chance I have it and it's remained dormant? I come to this forum to talk about basketball no matter how poopy my team is , I don't come to debate what's morally acceptable in society.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You mention Gobert ignoring what scientists and doctors recommended, is that what you based your decision on when calling for him to be suspended or banned? Which scientists are you basing this on because there have been a number that called for quarantines before Gobert's interview even took place. So should Adam Silver and the rest of the league be punished for putting Gobert in that position? If not, why?

I haven't seen any medical professionals call for his job or for him to be punished, and I haven't seen any of his colleagues do so either. A lot of people messed up, Gobert isn't alone in that regard but he's the one you want to see punished and anyone who disagrees with your calls to punish him are just as bad as he is, in your eyes. You don't know how we're handling this situation but based on us not calling for Gobert to be punished, we need to be quarantined and punished as well, since we're just as dangerous as him. I'm not putting words in your mouth either, you explicitly stated we're just as dangerous as someone infected with the virus.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
People forget that humor is a common coping mechanism, no one is saying it wasn't stupid but watch the video people were laughing , most people are able to separate reality from a joke , he was just trying to be funny he wasn't making light of the fact people are dying , I have no problem with him trying to bring in humor to lighten the mood

For those of you who have posted that Gobert's "touching" activities were just a joke, whether he was diagnosed or not, his teammates don't think so. Here's your proof!

He didn't use discretion, not only with the Press, but with his teammates as well. "Going out of his way to touch them and their belongings."

You must be registered for see images attach

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-rift-exists-between-donovan-151832643.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have posted that Gobert's "touching" activities were just a joke, whether he was diagnosed or not, his teammates don't think so. Here's your proof!

He didn't use discretion, not only with the Press, but with his teammates as well. "Going out of his way to touch them and their belongings."

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-rift-exists-between-donovan-151832643.html

His behavior in the locker room isn't what is being discussed. No one has said he should be suspended, fined, or banned because of how he acted in the locker room. We're all talking about what he did at the press conference. If he did something behind closed doors, that's a separate issue.

To address that article though, the media hasn't been present in the locker room so they haven't witnessed anything firsthand. Everything presented is coming from anonymous sources. All of the Jazz players have been in quarantine since this happened so I find it a little hard to believe that they're reaching out to reporters to throw Gobert under the bus right now, while he's off battling the virus. It is possible though, I just find it a little suspect at this point in time.

Of course no one in that are are saying he should be punished for his actions at the press conference, which is what is being discussed. Going beyond that press conference though, none of his teammates are calling for him to be punished in some way either. Being disappointed with him or upset with him isn't the same as calling for his job or for him to be fined.

Another thing that isn't addressed is how Gobert is French and how the French are a much more physical culture. So has his behavior changed with the threat of this virus or did he continue acting as he normally does? That isn't answered. It's not an excuse but if we're going to discuss how he behaved in the locker room then looking into whether he became more physical as of late is worth looking into.

No one here is saying what he did was funny, entertaining, or right either but some of us believe he shouldn't be reprimanded for it by the Jazz organization or the NBA. You all have the right to be mad at him for what he did and believe he shouldn't have done it, I agree with that, but that doesn't change his intent. He intended to make a joke and that was obvious by his actions and statements made after the fact, in addition to how the majority of the press in the room laughed at it. Not all jokes are verbal, nor should someone be limited to only verbal jokes as a form or free expression.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any question he should be fined and suspended. It’s conduct unbecoming at minimum. When he did it, the US already had double-digit deaths and a region of Italy close to his home county was on lockdown. He showed complete disrespect for how reporters and teammates might feel about a serious issue. If his apology is sincere he should have no problem with disciplinary action.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the league is shut down for a couple months, they should cap the season with a single elimination tournament with seeding based on current standings. It would be epic.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the league is shut down for a couple months, they should cap the season with a single elimination tournament with seeding based on current standings. It would be epic.
30 team double elimination over 6 days would be epic

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
30 team double elimination over 6 days would be epic
I like it! For every season. It ties in with my observation that pitting #1 against #8, #2 against #7, etc.,
is not fair to anyone, including the fans.

I wondered if it would discourage tanking, but it probably wouldn't, because there is a benefit to any
team out of thirty playing a lower ranking team. But that would probably exist no matter what.

The one thing I wonder about is why #29 is elevated to the top to play the winner of #1 and #2
in the second round.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, is it really best for one of the top two teams to be eliminated in
the 1st round? I don't know. I'm curious to see your comments.

Last edited:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like it! For every season. It ties in with my observation that pitting #1 against #8, #2 against #7, etc.,
is not fair to anyone, including the fans.

I wondered if it would discourage tanking, but it probably wouldn't, because there is a benefit to any
team out of thirty playing a lower ranking team. But that would probably exist no matter what.

The one thing I wonder about is why #29 is elevated to the top to play the winner of #1 and #2
in the second round.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, is it really best for one of the top two teams to be eliminated in
the 1st round? I don't know. I'm curious to see your comments.
I think the graphic is misleading as to the numbers. 29 and 30 in the graphic would be the top two teams, earning a bye in the first round. The others are seeded accordingly and certainly "top team (1)" won't play "second team (2)" until the final should they both get there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You mention Gobert ignoring what scientists and doctors recommended, is that what you based your decision on when calling for him to be suspended or banned? Which scientists are you basing this on because there have been a number that called for quarantines before Gobert's interview even took place. So should Adam Silver and the rest of the league be punished for putting Gobert in that position? If not, why?

I haven't seen any medical professionals call for his job or for him to be punished, and I haven't seen any of his colleagues do so either. A lot of people messed up, Gobert isn't alone in that regard but he's the one you want to see punished and anyone who disagrees with your calls to punish him are just as bad as he is, in your eyes. You don't know how we're handling this situation but based on us not calling for Gobert to be punished, we need to be quarantined and punished as well, since we're just as dangerous as him. I'm not putting words in your mouth either, you explicitly stated we're just as dangerous as someone infected with the virus.
You are. If you don’t comprehend the severity of his stupidity you are. That’s just a simple fact.

when the league suspension is lifted he should be suspended. It’s as plain as that. 25 game suspension. I think what he did, showing reckless disregard, is worse than what Ayton got 25 games for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We don't get it hahaha? Why because I won't crucify someone for making a bad joke? No one is saying he wasn't a ******* for the joke I don't see the need to strip the man of his career over it. I'm not out here touching microphones but I'm not gonna say he's done anything worse then what I'm sure we've all done. I don't have cornavirus but i was in China for a week from Jan 23-30, I never felt sick but I left, didn't get checked , I see students every day since, well up until classes were cancelled, should I be severely punished? For possibly endangering lives on the off chance I have it and it's remained dormant? I come to this forum to talk about basketball no matter how ****** my team is , I don't come to debate what's morally acceptable in society.
Uh yeah now that you disclose all of that I see where you’re coming from. You’re already reckless. Where do you teach? I want to be sure that my family and friends kids aren’t anywhere near you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA