Charles Barkley to sell MVP trophy to build affordable housing in hometown

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles has done some good deeds but I wish he could have said some kinder things about the Suns over the years for the sake of the fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Charles has done some good deeds but I wish he could have said some kinder things about the Suns over the years for the sake of the fans.

Every time I hear Barkley bash the Suns he goes out of his way to say the fans don't deserve the product that is put on the floor and we (the fans) are the best in the league. He even took time during his cold pickle nacho rant to mention how Suns fans deserve much better. That's probably his most infamous Suns rant in the last decade and you could tell it was him speaking his true feelings, not rehearsed insults, but he got Shaq & Kenny to stop egging him so he could acknowledge the fans.

When other teams have been bashed by the Inside crew for having fans dressed as empty seats and someone tries taking a shot at the lowly Suns, he'll put a stop to it if they're trying to say something about Suns fans instead of the organization. He excuses us fans for not going to the games because of how bad they've been. It's rare to hear an analyst like that stand up for bad attendance but he'll do it if the Suns are involved. He always mentions retiring in Phoenix also because he loves the fans here.

While I can understand it sucks hearing him bash the organization, you should listen to a little more because he usually brings it back around to praise the fans that the team still has. Because he does it in that way, I have zero issue with what he says in regards to the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And because I mentioned it, here is an animated version of the Barkley pickle nacho rant. I wish they animated the whole thing but it was about 5 minutes total.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's the complete rant. He starts by bashing McD, not by name but specifically calling out the GM who is allowed to fire a couple of coaches before they're held accountable. This video is 5 minutes and 33 seconds of Barkley delivering a verbal beatdown of the suns organization.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wish that Robert Sarver and his carousel of mediocre General Managers and Head Coaches had earned some kinder words over the years for the sake of the fans.

Charles Barkley, especially considering his tenure with the Suns as the best player in team history, has been a messenger who tells it like it is.

Fans like us, who post on a sports fans message board, have a very limited audience -- each other. At least Chuck reaches a large audience in
calling attention to the obvious. People such as he and his outrageous behavior, nevertheless are sometimes catalysts for change.

The Suns could sure use a change in their image and performance. It is not that long ago that our team was called the laughingstock of the NBA.
A step above that is hardly enough.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love what Barkley says and i mostly agree with him. And even now the Draymond thing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last season Charles played with the Suns was 1995-96. Sarver didn't buy the Suns until 2004. Even during this period I can't remember him expressing a lot of love for the Suns. It's the way that I remember it. Of course this doesn't take away from his good deeds.

Charles remains one of my favorite Suns along with Dan Majerle and Kevin Johnson.

I agree 100% the fans got the short end of the stick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last season Charles played with the Suns was 1995-96. Sarver didn't buy the Suns until 2004. Even during this period I can't remember him expressing a lot of love for the Suns. It's the way that I remember it. Of course this doesn't take away from his good deeds.

Charles remains one of my favorite Suns along with Dan Majerle and Kevin Johnson.

You're right. Barkley has softened on the Suns and now goes out of his way to be supportive of the fans but that was not always the case. He ignored the fans and blasted the Suns for several years after he retired due to his issues with Jerry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who may not remember the feud between Charles Barkley and Jerry Colangelo, I found this article.

Here is an excerpt:

The Hatfield and McCoy of the NBA have declared a truce.

Suns Chairman Jerry Colangelo and his controversial former star, Charles Barkley, met Monday and -- in Colangelo's words -- "buried the past."

It brings to an end a feud that has simmered since the end of the 1995-96 season when Barkley ripped the organization in an NBC interview during the NBA Finals, accusing the Suns of shopping him around the league "like a piece of meat."

https://www.nba.com/suns/news/azcentral_barkley_030317.html#

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chuck is the man!!! Amazing respect

Also i went to his summer camp overnight with a few friends had a blast hahaha in the 90s....

When u know suns were good lol

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"My job is safe. Draymond Green is a nice guy. You know what he is? He's like the guy in the boy band who's the least important member," the Hall of Famer said. "He doesn't realize he's standing next to Justin Timberlake.

"He's the least famous person in the boy band, and he thinks he's a star. And he's not. He's lucky to be in the boy band. He thinks all the girls are screaming for him. No, they're screaming for Justin Timberlake.

"Enjoy being in the band because you're never gonna have any hit singles ... I like messing with him."
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/w...ey-fires-back-draymond-green-boy-band-analogy

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ok, that puts your previous comment in better context. I'd agree that some of Barkley's comments from the 90's, after he was dealt and up to his retirement, were quite ridiculous and unwarranted. I always viewed that as more of a Barkley vs Colangelo thing rather than Barkley bashing the Suns though.

I didn't follow the Suns that closely at that time so I could have missed a lot of the back and forth as well. I know Barkley's been a staunch supporter of the Phoenix fans over the last 10-15 years and I've appreciated that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And because I mentioned it, here is an animated version of the Barkley pickle nacho rant. I wish they animated the whole thing but it was about 5 minutes total.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's the complete rant. He starts by bashing McD, not by name but specifically calling out the GM who is allowed to fire a couple of coaches before they're held accountable. This video is 5 minutes and 33 seconds of Barkley delivering a verbal beatdown of the suns organization.

@ColdPickleNachos

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am confused why he needed to sell his trophy to do this. He has a net worth of 40 million?!?!!?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I am confused why he needed to sell his trophy to do this. He has a net worth of 40 million?!?!!?

Cutting a big check won't generate the same media coverage selling his MVP trophy does, even if he was cutting a check 3-4 times the size of whatever he sells the trophy for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, that puts your previous comment in better context. I'd agree that some of Barkley's comments from the 90's, after he was dealt and up to his retirement, were quite ridiculous and unwarranted. I always viewed that as more of a Barkley vs Colangelo thing rather than Barkley bashing the Suns though.

I didn't follow the Suns that closely at that time so I could have missed a lot of the back and forth as well. I know Barkley's been a staunch supporter of the Phoenix fans over the last 10-15 years and I've appreciated that.

Here is a player that carried the Suns almost to a championship and was a legend in every aspect of the game. The fans adored him and I was one of those fans who went crazy when he arrived in the Valley. Barkley is still one of my favorite players.

Yet for awhile, it was such an awkward situation between him and Colangelo when they separated. It was obvious Barkley deserved to be in the Suns Ring of Honor but it was hard to see it happening until they mended their feud. During this period I sometimes dreaded to hear what Barley had to say about the Suns. That's all in the past but it's part of Suns history.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave