Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Seems that the better OLine you have the better your RB will perform. You can "make due" with a 5th or later round RB if the OL opens up holes big enough to drive a Mac truck through...my guess anyway....

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think Austin Eklers new deal
sets some parameters for contract talks with Drake.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Idk about that they’re two different skill sets.
Doesn’t matter they play the same position. Ekler is a bigger producer even if the majority of it is as a receiver. Drake only had 30 more carries than Ekler last year but 43 less receptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ekeler is worth more right now, period. This should set Drake at 4-5 mil per year unless some team is desperate

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ekeler is worth more right now, period. This should set Drake at 4-5 mil per year unless some team is desperate

Ekeler had less room to push the needle on the contract because the Chargers controlled his rights as a restricted free agent.

I mean, any team can use it as a starting point, but I doubt Drake's camp will.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ekeler had less room to push the needle on the contract because the Chargers controlled his rights as a restricted free agent.

They'll need a desperate team to overpay for him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

doesnt that work in Drake's favor?

less room for the player, and he got $6mm per year?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They'll need a desperate team to overpay for him.

Yeah, it's hard for me to set a market value because I don't think he's very good. So I'm not sure how to say "well the Bills/Lions/Texans/whoever will be willing to overpay because..."

doesnt that work in Drake's favor?

less room for the player, and he got $6mm per year?
The room for the team to pay for him was there, but Ekeler's power to negotiate definitely was not. The Chargers had all of the leverage to say "hey, this is the most we're paying you in an extension, or we'll just tender you as an RFA and franchise you the next year."

Ekeler is probably smart enough to realize that four years of stability is better than hitting the market as a free agent in 2022 when he'll be turning 27 by the time that season begins.

This is likely Kenyan Drake's only shot at a big contract, and I believe he will squeeze for as much money as possible.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I legit do not get how one could be against a WR at 8, but then want a RB in the 2nd round(high 2nd at that). This is coming from a guy that doesn’t want WR at 8 either.

Because there's been WR's drafted in the 1st round that went tits up and RB's taken in the 2nd round like Derrick Henry.

Disclaimer: I don't want a WR in round one. I would be ok with one particular WR in round TWO.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully he’s back and to be our 1200 yard full time runningback. Let’s get real, FA’s aren’t rushing and fighting over to play here. Premium FA’s probably won’t sign here anyways. When was the last time we signed a premium, top-of-the-line/best at his position FA? With that being said anyone griping over the money spent to retain him gotta realize it’s not YOUR money to be spent.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Ekeler put up 1,550 all purpose yards to Drakes 1,162 all purpose.

About 5 mil a year isnt unlikely.

So. They’ve been on record saying they want $8-$10 million a year. Unless his agent sucks he’s not signing for “under 5 mil” before he hits the market.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
With that being said anyone griping over the money spent to retain him gotta realize it’s not YOUR money to be spent.
No, only our money that goes into paying for tickets to watch a team that hasn't had a winning record in four years, and won't anytime soon if we overpay for mediocre players.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, only our money that goes into paying for tickets to watch a team that hasn't had a winning record in four years, and won't anytime soon if we overpay for mediocre players.
Meh, don’t care...not my problem, not yours either.