OT- Around the NFL 2019-20

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Can just take a minute and appreciate the signing/contract for Hicks last year?

Hope we can find another defensive starter or 2 just like that during FA.

I believe Darius Philon would have been another excellent signing/contract if he hadn't lost his damn mind.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow...Wagner is now overpaid. Very good LB, but I wouldnt pay that kind of coin for a guy that doesnt rush the passer or cover top receivers.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Strike fund for multi-millionaires?

I personally don't believe players or announcers should be making 15m, 20m, 30m year. Just seems so out of whack.

I will say this...I am a Cardinal fan. I personally don't care who is in the jersey...I would still root for the team.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LOL. If they strike the first paycheck missed will have most of the players crawling back. He and the "a lot" of veterans don't have enough money to cover the players losing their income. The players have little power in this situation, at least compared to the billionaire owners.

Listening to Mike Golic he moans about the high priced veterans were the ones who broke the strike he was involved in. He still is bitter about that today.

I suspect the proposed new CBA will be passed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I personally don't believe players or announcers should be making 15m, 20m, 30m year. Just seems so out of whack.

I will say this...I am a Cardinal fan. I personally don't care who is in the jersey...I would still root for the team.

the majority of NFL players playing today are not millionaires.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

So they shouldn't be entitled to a share of the revenue of the product that their bodies are on the line for? Sure, salaries are insane, but what's the alternative? Let the owners get even richer while young men go out there and get CTE and such for playing for their corporate overlords? If the money is there, distribute it.

the majority of NFL players playing today are not millionaires.
Even the lowest tier players are making more money in a year than your normal person will ever make in a single year. The rookie minimum is $480,000. Making $480,000 in a year would be a game changer for almost any normal citizen. Even doctors don't get paid that.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So they shouldn't be entitled to a share of the revenue of the product that their bodies are on the line for? Sure, salaries are insane, but what's the alternative? Let the owners get even richer while young men go out there and get CTE and such for playing for their corporate overlords? If the money is there, distribute it.

I get it but people put their bodies on the line for much less everyday.

The money just doesn't make sense...its not about the players (all sports) its about the value of a player. 40m/year to play basketball? It's just out of control IMO.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I get it but people put their bodies on the line for much less everyday.

The money just doesn't make sense...its not about the players (all sports) its about the value of a player. 40m/year to play basketball? It's just out of control IMO.
Again though, where should this money be going? We pay to see the product, money is coming in from big TV contracts, money is coming from merchandise... I mean, the option is it goes to the owners or it goes to the players.

As a society, we could all agree to stop watching sports, and then it wouldn't be a problem... but I doubt that's something this board would want to do, haha.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Even the lowest tier players are making more money in a year than your normal person will ever make in a single year. The rookie minimum is $480,000. Making $480,000 in a year would be a game changer for almost any normal citizen. Even doctors don't get paid that.

take half that for taxes and when you factor in the average career is only 3 years it’s not really that much.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
take half that for taxes and when you factor in the average career is only 3 years it’s not really that much.
Even if it's taxed half (which it's not, that's ridiculous), $240,000 is enough to purchase a car and a home out of pocket, an opportunity not afforded to most people at the age of 21/22. It took me up until I was probably about 28 or 29 years old to make that much in my entire career, pre-tax.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if it's taxed half (which it's not, that's ridiculous), $240,000 is enough to purchase a car and a home out of pocket, an opportunity not afforded to most people at the age of 21/22. It took me up until I was probably about 28 or 29 years old to make that much in my entire career, pre-tax.

federal and state? Yeah your looking at about half your money being gone. I’m at 32% federal plus 10-13% California state tax that’s puts me at 40%+ gone. The more you make the more they take.

now you have to factor in the short amount of time these guys make that money. it’s not a lot

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
federal and state? Yeah your looking at about half your money being gone. I’m at 32% federal plus 10-13% California state tax that’s puts me at 40%+ gone. The more you make the more they take.

now you have to factor in the short amount of time these guys make that money. it’s not a lot
Not every player is in California, for one. There is zero state tax in Florida, Nevada, Texas, and Washington, all of which have one or multiple NFL teams.

Two, how are you still missing that $240,000 is more than what many college graduates make in at least five, if not ten years? It's a ton of money. Again, it is a home and a car.

You're at $160,000+ a year, but I assure you, that's nowhere near the norm, and your views must be skewed since you're used to it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not every player is in California, for one. There is zero state tax in Florida, Nevada, Texas, and Washington, all of which have one or multiple NFL teams.

Two, how are you still missing that $240,000 is more than what many college graduates make in at least five, if not ten years? It's a ton of money. Again, it is a home and a car.

You're at $160,000+ a year, but I assure you, that's nowhere near the norm, and your views must be skewed since you're used to it.

What your not understanding is there only making that for 3 years(league average career) a lot of these guys get regular jobs after football.

Idk I just don’t see it as a ton of money especially when it’s for such a short amount of time.

say you get a new truck your looking at 40-60k? Your not getting a house for 200,000 or less. I mean you can in the hood but nothing crazy or even really nice.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What your not understanding is there only making that for 3 years(league average career) a lot of these guys get regular jobs after football.

Idk I just don’t see it as a ton of money especially when it’s for such a short amount of time.

say you get a new truck your looking at 40-60k? Your not getting a house for 200,000 or less. I mean you can in the hood but nothing crazy or even really nice.
Again, not everyone lives in California. I bought my three bedroom home for $112K (admittedly at the bottom of the market), and I live in a great area of Las Vegas. A new truck costs $40-$60k? Only if you're tricking the thing out. A 2020 Chevy Colorado is $21k MSRP. Make a smart decision and buy a brand new 2019, and you're looking at even cheaper for a brand new car.

And again, this is all assuming you are getting taxed 50% of the minimum $480k. A rookie for the Las Vegas Raiders will take home $312k after playing one year. That is enough to buy a car, and if not a full house, at least to put down a generous amount on a home that you have to finish paying off with a "normal" job. I'm not saying you're a big baller living in luxury, but it's so much better than many others. With almost everything paid off, making $45k a year with very few expenses is a damn good life.

Again, I feel like your experiences must be skewed by making a bunch of money in a state like CA where everything is inflated.

I have a buddy who played three years for the Chargers, and he owns two homes, three cars, and a boat, all while now working as a corrections officer for a normal person's wage.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, not everyone lives in California. I bought my three bedroom home for $112K (admittedly at the bottom of the market), and I live in a great area of Las Vegas. A new truck costs $40-$60k? Only if you're tricking the thing out. A 2020 Chevy Colorado is $21k MSRP. Make a smart decision and buy a brand new 2019, and you're looking at even cheaper for a brand new car.

And again, this is all assuming you are getting taxed 50% of the minimum $480k. A rookie for the Las Vegas Raiders will take home $312k after playing one year. That is enough to buy a car, and if not a full house, at least to put down a generous amount on a home that you have to finish paying off with a "normal" job. I'm not saying you're a big baller living in luxury, but it's so much better than many others. With almost everything paid off, making $45k a year with very few expenses is a damn good life.

Again, I feel like your experiences must be skewed by making a bunch of money in a state like CA where everything is inflated.

I have a buddy who played three years for the Chargers, and he owns two homes, three cars, and a boat, all while now working as a corrections officer for a normal person's wage.

Holy hell. 112k that’s so unrealistic in 2020 just stop with that. Cause you know damn well that ain’t happening today. Quick check on CarGurus A 2020 Colorado WORK truck is 20k cause yeah I’m expecting a guy the size of an NFL player to buy a stripped down tiny midsized truck with roll up windows in it.

Alright you win. Your right. Go find a 100k home and buy a Jetta, better yet ride a bike or take the bus to work.

we just have different opinions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA