Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was about to respond to Chris myself, but couldn't have said it better than Cheese.

Chopper, if you sincerely didn't realize that my comment as a facetious way to show you how unwarranted and unconstructive your own comment was, I apologize.

...dbs
You are good. I saw what you were doing and doubled down on it. I think you a valid argument even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... that's way too much. big overpay where I don't think the market dictates that. I mean, Mark Ingram got 3 years 15 million last year and we'd be offering more, accounting for increase in cap... for a guy who's done ways less than Ingram. I'd offer 4 years 20 million and go as high as 4/24. otherwise, invest in the O-line and see who else is out there.

This is true. Ingram signed for for about $5M per year.

However remember that Ingram(31) is 6 years older than Drake(25). In RB years that makes Ingram actually 93 years old.

In reality I think Drake will sign for around $5-7M per year but I wouldn't cry if it took $8M to sign him.

Watch his Cardinals highlights (May need to copy and paste link to view it). He was made for this offense:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001095029/Kenyan-Drake-highlights-2019-season

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-the-trajectory-of-his-family-in-free-agency/

“Football is the ultimate team sport, so, obviously, I want to put myself in the best position that I have the best guys around me,” Drake said. “The best individuals in general, not just football players, but at the same time understand [that] behind the game there is a business. I want to make sure I do the right thing for not just right now, but for the trajectory of my family. I play this game to change the lives of the people around me, who I love and care about.”

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss)
2/25/20, 12:28 PM
Both Kliff Kingsbury and Steve Keim made it clear today at the combinet that they want Kenyan Drake back but neither know what the market will hold for Drake.

"I think he’s a perfect fit for our offense,” Kingsbury said.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kiem has a number and we'll see, but I'll bet it's closer to $5m than $8m. Drake takes it or tests the market and if he has to circle back it will be for less than the initial offer. That's how this game is played.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We found what freaking works in this offense and have no reason to gamble on a draft pick when you know we are not going to have to pay crazy money to keep him, keep him and then not worry about DJ on the cap space when we can then compete for possibly a title later

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We found what freaking works in this offense and have no reason to gamble on a draft pick when you know we are not going to have to pay crazy money to keep him, keep him and then not worry about DJ on the cap space when we can then compete for possibly a title later

You can't simply divorce DJ's contract in 2020 from what's on offer to Drake - that's reality.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't simply divorce DJ's contract in 2020 from what's on offer to Drake - that's reality.
Why? DJ's contract is taking up a lot of cap space... but that fact should have no more bearing on how much they can pay another RB than it has on how much they can pay at any other position.

...dbs

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? DJ's contract is taking up a lot of cap space... but that fact should have no more bearing on how much they can pay another RB than it has on how much they can pay at any other position.

...dbs

Sure, if simply adding Drake was the only FA issue. At this point, with a subtraction of 13 to $15m for a draft class and contingency fund, we have about $25/27m or so to address RT, DE, DT, LB, backup QB, and other veteran depth.

I'll venture that Keim makes one offer and if refused, Drake will be shopping for a job.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Sure, if simply adding Drake was the only FA issue. At this point, with a subtraction of 13 to $15m for a draft class and contingency fund, we have about $25/27m or so to address RT, DE, DT, LB, backup QB, and other veteran depth.

I'll venture that Keim makes one offer and if refused, Drake will be shopping for a job.
Drake is shopping for $ and only $. He is going to benefit from his 3 great games. The team that gambles the most is the one he will sign with.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do all these lines of thought coexist?

We have to sign Hump despite the money/performance because you can't let LT's walk.

We should draft a WR at 8 despite drafting 3 last year. If there is a great one available you should get him.

We shouldn't sign Drake because we are paying DJ too much.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do all these lines of thought coexist?

We have to sign Hump despite the money/performance because you can't let LT's walk.

We should draft a WR at 8 despite drafting 3 last year. If there is a great one available you should get him.

We shouldn't sign Drake because we are paying DJ too much.
Our rating of players are based on what we read and perception. Bottom line the goal is to draft, attract free agents and retain as many better than average players as you can.

You simply can’t pass on a projected superstar at one position to take a limited player that you ‘should’ be able to develop.

I like the thought of Brown and pray that Claypool would be there in round two. He is fast , huge, loves to block, and has a giant wingspan. He is exactly a perfect fit for us.

But if we go with Lamb and he turns out to be Hopkins or Thomas for the next 10 years then picking him wouldn’t be wrong.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our rating of players are based on what we read and perception. Bottom line the goal is to draft, attract free agents and retain as many better than average players as you can.

You simply can’t pass on a projected superstar at one position to take a limited player that you ‘should’ be able to develop.

I like the thought of Brown and pray that Claypool would be there in round two. He is fast , huge, loves to block, and has a giant wingspan. He is exactly a perfect fit for us.

But if we go with Lamb and he turns out to be Hopkins or Thomas for the next 10 years then picking him wouldn’t be wrong.

I think you misunderstand my point.

The same thing applies to Drake. We have a guy we know works in this system. If the money is fair we shouldn't throw Drake away for a rookie or to rely on DJ just because DJ is costing us so much.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand my point.

The same thing applies to Drake. We have a guy we know works in this system. If the money is fair we shouldn't throw Drake away for a rookie or to rely on DJ just because DJ is costing us so much.
Part of what's baked into the Drake situation is that he's got four years of non-production to look back on. In my mind, that's the guy we're gonna get once he gets his money, something people attribute to DJ right now.

Some posters are treating Drake like he's going to be Marshall Faulk with a full season in this offense. If I told you he was going to come in and put up 535 yards, 4 TDs rushing, and 477 yards with 5 TDs receiving, would you really want him back? That's his best year up until now. That's a good complementary back, but I don't want to be tied to another contract on a guy that in a year we're feeling pretty mediocre about.

Moving on from Drake represents us being able to fill a much greater hole in the offseason. DJ has certainly struggled, but I believe the combo of he and Edmonds can get by for a season, especially with a rookie RB or DeAndre Washington back there to help too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part of what's baked into the Drake situation is that he's got four years of non-production to look back on. In my mind, that's the guy we're gonna get once he gets his money, something people attribute to DJ right now.

Some posters are treating Drake like he's going to be Marshall Faulk with a full season in this offense. If I told you he was going to come in and put up 535 yards, 4 TDs rushing, and 477 yards with 5 TDs receiving, would you really want him back? That's his best year up until now. That's a good complementary back, but I don't want to be tied to another contract on a guy that in a year we're feeling pretty mediocre about.

Moving on from Drake represents us being able to fill a much greater hole in the offseason. DJ has certainly struggled, but I believe the combo of he and Edmonds can get by for a season, especially with a rookie RB or DeAndre Washington back there to help too.

He's not got 4 years of none production. He has 3.5 years of misuse.

What he had was 3.5 years with an average of 4.9 yards per carry. That's the only thing he can control.

If Gase wants to waste him that's on him.

He came him with 3 days practice and ran for what was it? 175 yards? That take some doing.

He's not done enough to earn top money but he's certainly not lacking talent.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He's not got 4 years of none production. He has 3.5 years of misuse.

What he had was 3.5 years with an average of 4.9 yards per carry. That's the only thing he can control.

If Gase wants to waste him that's on him.

He came him with 3 days practice and ran for what was it? 175 yards? That take some doing.

He's not done enough to earn top money but he's certainly not lacking talent.
You guys keep saying it's misuse, but what if it's not? This is so similar to the Kliff Kingsbury stuff that I have to keep eyerolling at. The cream tends to rise to the top, and I'm going to use past history to define a guy unless there's a huge extenuating circumstance. But the fact that Drake has never started a full season, and has been sitting on the bench even when healthy, says something to me. I'm guessing it's his practice habits, desire to put in the work, some kind of a bad attitude (and you can be a good person with a bad football attitude), or something else.

This all screams bias to me because we're Cardinals fans and want to believe he's going to be something wildly different than he's always been. In college, in the pros, he's a complementary back.

Very few guys take the Wes Welker or Raheem Mostert route. Most of them are what they are.

Also, he ran for 110 yards against SF in that game, not 175. He did contribute 52 more yards receiving. A good game, but there's just a ridiculous amount of backs in NFL history that have had a couple of good games and have flamed out.

To be this excited over someone with 5 career 100 yard rushing games just makes me laugh. The "no tread on his tires" thing is applicable to plenty of backs who didn't see the field because they weren't very good.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Who really cares if Drake leaves. RB is the easiest position in the NFL to replace.

NE has been the best team in the league and goes through RBs like Wisconsincard goes through cigars.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me the key is we know he fits our offense. I think his numbers were inflated by playing with Murray, I think everyone except DJ looked great back there because the defense had to assign a guy to watch Kyler. If we can get him for a reasonable amount keep him, if we can't, get someone else. It's just hard to say. I keep saying I like Breida but even I understand he's probably not going to average 5 YPC on any team, he fits perfectly in the system he's been in, I think he'd fit in our system too, but on other teams, his average would fall .He's not an everydown RB he's been nicked up every year, with Edmonds, I think you're pretty good. I think Breida is a better receiver than Drake and more explosive, but he's smaller and won't get the short yardage yards that Drake did.

I hope we can keep Drake but I hope we can do it without overpaying to get him

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Who really cares if Drake leaves. RB is the easiest position in the NFL to replace.

NE has been the best team in the league and goes through RBs like Wisconsincard goes through cigars.
Yep.

Chase Edmonds had a similar great game to Drake this season, and I don’t even think he’s that great, but I think it shows that this offense (or Kyler) made it easier to look good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep.

Chase Edmonds had a similar great game to Drake this season, and I don’t even think he’s that great, but I think it shows that this offense (or Kyler) made it easier to look good.
He did, but it was against the Giants after all.

I still very much like Chase, though.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I guess we will be drafting a RB now...

You must be registered for see images attach