Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I really didn't think Koloko was fouled live, after watching replays I guess there was enough contact but live it just seemed like he was off balance when he caught the ball. I assumed they were saying Pritchards left hand was the foul. That was going to be a terrible loss no matter what, if he makes the FT's the refs get hammered over the call, if he misses it's a heartbreaker for UA. I was actually really impressed wtih Koloko in this game he really impacts the game on defense. I'm amazed Oregon won their offense was all Pritchard until the OT, Duarte is in some kind of funk and couldn't make a shot so UA just doubled PP, if UA could have made FT's they win easily.

The biggest problem the conference has always had is refs dictating games. The Green foul, Koloko foul, Green travel and some of the Pritchard drives late should’ve been no-calls. They are trained to call everything and it ruins the the rhythm and excitement of the sport.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Green was always going to be a role player in year one. He was a 5* prospect but not top-15. He does a lot of good things that don’t stand out. Solid defender and leads the team in +/-.

Nico is much more disappointing given his hype (granted I was part of it). His team impact metrics are awful which is really telling for a primary ball-handler. Looking at his cockiness level in HS I think he’s a bit shook how difficult college ball is.
I get what you’re seeing. But I see glimpses of what Mannion could be if he puts it together. The “unseens” with green might add up to a good player but what I’m seeing is a bridges type player. Good player but doesn’t show up in box score and as a result he’s more a complimentary player and never a star.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you’re seeing. But I see glimpses of what Mannion could be if he puts it together. The “unseens” with green might add up to a good player but what I’m seeing is a bridges type player. Good player but doesn’t show up in box score and as a result he’s more a complimentary player and never a star.

I actually thought Green was the best of the 3 freshmen recruits, his issue has really been he can't really impact in the halfcourt because of his shooting, 42 over 32 from 3, in transition in the opencourt he's quite good, he can finish at the rim. At the NBA level he's probably a 3 which is an issue because he's undersized for a 3 but he's clearly not a good enough shooter to be a 2 right now, hell he's not a good enough shooter to be a 3. He should probably go back to Arizona, but probably won't because this is a weak draft so kids are being told to go this year rather than compete for slots next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I actually thought Green was the best of the 3 freshmen recruits, his issue has really been he can't really impact in the halfcourt because of his shooting, 42 over 32 from 3, in transition in the opencourt he's quite good, he can finish at the rim. At the NBA level he's probably a 3 which is an issue because he's undersized for a 3 but he's clearly not a good enough shooter to be a 2 right now, hell he's not a good enough shooter to be a 3. He should probably go back to Arizona, but probably won't because this is a weak draft so kids are being told to go this year rather than compete for slots next year.
Agree. He and mannion should, but won’t, return. Nnaji should go though he too could likely improve his body to be more ready for the nba next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. He and mannion should, but won’t, return. Nnaji should go though he too could likely improve his body to be more ready for the nba next year.

This year was weird, UCLA recruited all 3 kids(not Koloko) and of the 3 the one I wanted by far the most was Green. now I'd take Nnaji in a heartbeat over the other 2. Mannion is skilled but he'd be a terrible fit with Cronin, as would Green because UCLA plays a slower pace and Green is not good in the halfcourt.

But I had that class totally backwards I had Nnaji last he's the best of the 3, and I had Koloko as not a Arizona level recruit and he's already impacting as a project freshman

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The biggest problem the conference has always had is refs dictating games. The Green foul, Koloko foul, Green travel and some of the Pritchard drives late should’ve been no-calls. They are trained to call everything and it ruins the the rhythm and excitement of the sport.

The PAC12/PAC10 officiating has been horrible dating back to the early 90s. It’s the one thing I consistently agreed with Greg Hansen on

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t like talking crap about teenagers but Nico is the biggest bust I can remember when you consider the home state as well as national hype. Playing PG for Miller has to be difficult but he’s just not that talented and seems soft.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don’t like talking crap about teenagers but Nico is the biggest bust I can remember when you consider the home state as well as national hype. Playing PG for Miller has to be difficult but he’s just not that talented and seems soft.

It's a combination of being soft and being mentally checked out. Dude plays careless like he's assumed that he's done enough to get to the pros. It's really frustrating TBH, because the talent level is there

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a combination of being soft and being mentally checked out. Dude plays careless like he's assumed that he's done enough to get to the pros. It's really frustrating TBH, because the talent level is there

And it reality, he's costing himself money. If I was a GM, there is not enough there yet to spend a 1st round pick on.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
And it reality, he's costing himself money. If I was a GM, there is not enough there yet to spend a 1st round pick on.
Not necessarily. This year's draft class is crap. Next year's class is much better. Nico could get better next year, but it would be at best a wash for him from a draft position perspective, and he'd have to wait a year for his money.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nico will never make it in the NBA. What happen to players like Kemba Walker that carried there teams to wins in the tournament to get drafted.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

Josiah Turner was the biggest bust of all when it comes to national hype. Bejarano was the biggest bust from the state considering the fact that he never contributed anything and smeared the program

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Josiah Turner was the biggest bust of all when it comes to national hype. Bejarano was the biggest bust from the state considering the fact that he never contributed anything and smeared the program

Turner came with baggage as Russ has alluded to. It was 50/50 he’d work out from an attitude/weed aspect. Bejarano wasn’t close to Nico’s caliber.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turner came with baggage as Russ has alluded to. It was 50/50 he’d work out from an attitude/weed aspect. Bejarano wasn’t close to Nico’s caliber.

I mean Josiah literally has a marijuana leaf tattooed on his stomach or chest(forget which). That he smoked pot was no surprise, that it and other use derailed his career I guess wasn't as easily predictable, lots of people smoke pot and lead normal lives. He was not lots of people. Too bad, kid had NBA game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I mean Josiah literally has a marijuana leaf tattooed on his stomach or chest(forget which). That he smoked pot was no surprise, that it and other use derailed his career I guess wasn't as easily predictable, lots of people smoke pot and lead normal lives. He was not lots of people. Too bad, kid had NBA game.

One of the best mixtapes coming out of HS back when The Soldiers were a thing. It’s too bad because he was a Miller player but loved “the life” more than ball. I read he got popped for something regarding a prostitution ring.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Man that was bad. Getting thrown out of the game and then having the team lose the lead and the game. Wow

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, talk about home cooking. If that game was called fairly, the Cats would of won.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, talk about home cooking. If that game was called fairly, the Cats would of won.

The game was called fairly, Miller should have been ejected in the first half and even Jefferson on tv admitted it was a clean block by Cody Riley. Nico cleaned out with his offhand all the contact that caused him to fall down was because of his offhand which is why they didn't call a foul. The ref bent over backwards to not throw out Miller, who's screaming at him with spit on his face.

Yes 38 to 16 is one sided in FTA's , and when I say fairly I say consistent with how the Pac 12 refs call games, the number of Times UCLA has been out freethrowed by 2 or 3 to 1 in McKale is pretty significant too. 8 of the FT's were in the last 30 seconds of the game on UA fouling, it was one sided yes but the final total is a bit misleading. 4 FT's for technicals that Miller CLEARLY deserved, and the 8 at the end. Still makes it 26-16 but not nearly as one sided. I would submit that's where losing Green hurt UA, other than Nnaji, you didn't go inside that much. Not just 3's but a bunch of jumpshots. UCLA made a concentrated effort to get inside because your bigs were in foul trouble.

Even the foul on Koloko which I assume is what led to Miller getting tossed, was an obvious foul. It wasn't intentional he was holding his hands up high and as Hill ran over to defend him he lowered his hand and hit Hill in the face with the left hand, unintentional but a foul. Miller went nuts I think that's ultimately why he got tossed.

I think the real concern if I were a UA fan is all the rumors out there now about Josh Green being so fed up with Miller that people aren't sure he even wants to come back and play after his injury. If true you hope that blows over it'll hurt his NBA draft stock if true. Apparently it's being openly discussed by people connected to the AAU program he played for.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The game was called fairly, Miller should have been ejected in the first half and even Jefferson on tv admitted it was a clean block by Cody Riley. Nico cleaned out with his offhand all the contact that caused him to fall down was because of his offhand which is why they didn't call a foul. The ref bent over backwards to not throw out Miller, who's screaming at him with spit on his face.

Yes 38 to 16 is one sided in FTA's , and when I say fairly I say consistent with how the Pac 12 refs call games, the number of Times UCLA has been out freethrowed by 2 or 3 to 1 in McKale is pretty significant too. 8 of the FT's were in the last 30 seconds of the game on UA fouling, it was one sided yes but the final total is a bit misleading. 4 FT's for technicals that Miller CLEARLY deserved, and the 8 at the end. Still makes it 26-16 but not nearly as one sided. I would submit that's where losing Green hurt UA, other than Nnaji, you didn't go inside that much. Not just 3's but a bunch of jumpshots. UCLA made a concentrated effort to get inside because your bigs were in foul trouble.

Even the foul on Koloko which I assume is what led to Miller getting tossed, was an obvious foul. It wasn't intentional he was holding his hands up high and as Hill ran over to defend him he lowered his hand and hit Hill in the face with the left hand, unintentional but a foul. Miller went nuts I think that's ultimately why he got tossed.

I think the real concern if I were a UA fan is all the rumors out there now about Josh Green being so fed up with Miller that people aren't sure he even wants to come back and play after his injury. If true you hope that blows over it'll hurt his NBA draft stock if true. Apparently it's being openly discussed by people connected to the AAU program he played for.

Some of these kids are just soft because nobody tells them no anymore. I like Green but guys like Hill, Nick, TJ and Parrom swore by Miller. Rondae was similar to Green in a lot of ways and came back for year two. I’m thinking that would have more to do with Green and I’ve never been lower on Miller.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of these kids are just soft because nobody tells them no anymore. I like Green but guys like Hill, Nick, TJ and Parrom swore by Miller. Rondae was similar to Green in a lot of ways and came back for year two. I’m thinking that would have more to do with Green and I’ve never been lower on Miller.

Yeah I'm not endoring Green if those rumors are true, but it would be a big concern if players are literally sitting out with an injury they can play with because they don't like Miller. It's just a rumor of course but if it's even remotely true it would be a concern.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I taped the game couldn't watch it live so after watching the tape I'm reliving some stuff. On the first T I actually think Miller tried to get thrown out. He went ballistic, I don't think he'd seen the replay and as of yet didn't know it was a good call. At a certain point he decided well this ref isn't going to toss me, so he turns around and goes after another ref, who was completely uninvolved in the play or the T. They have him on tape screaming at the ref "Don't bleep with me" while pointing at himself. Aside from just being a bizarre thing to say, he was yelling at a ref who hadn't "bleeped with him" at all? It was really odd and by then his assistants were frantically trying to control him.

The 2nd one was after the Koloko play, they reviewed the call and ruled common foul no flagrant, people at the game said they could all see the replay on the board so Miller had to have seen it and knew Koloko HAD hit Hill in the face, accidentally but it happened. But he still went ballistic and got run and just walked right off. Usually when a coach gets run he gathers the team, says a few words etc. in that case it looked like he just didn't want to be there anymore and got thrown out on purpose.

Maybe it'll rally UA in the conf tourney who knows, but it sure seemed to me like both of those T's he was trying to get tossed.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I taped the game couldn't watch it live so after watching the tape I'm reliving some stuff. On the first T I actually think Miller tried to get thrown out. He went ballistic, I don't think he'd seen the replay and as of yet didn't know it was a good call. At a certain point he decided well this ref isn't going to toss me, so he turns around and goes after another ref, who was completely uninvolved in the play or the T. They have him on tape screaming at the ref "Don't bleep with me" while pointing at himself. Aside from just being a bizarre thing to say, he was yelling at a ref who hadn't "bleeped with him" at all? It was really odd and by then his assistants were frantically trying to control him.

The 2nd one was after the Koloko play, they reviewed the call and ruled common foul no flagrant, people at the game said they could all see the replay on the board so Miller had to have seen it and knew Koloko HAD hit Hill in the face, accidentally but it happened. But he still went ballistic and got run and just walked right off. Usually when a coach gets run he gathers the team, says a few words etc. in that case it looked like he just didn't want to be there anymore and got thrown out on purpose.

Maybe it'll rally UA in the conf tourney who knows, but it sure seemed to me like both of those T's he was trying to get tossed.

Trying to get thrown out of a game is rare. It is due to one of two reasons: 1. A dominant head coach who has the program completely under control is trying to send a message in a game that he has already won or lost when officials are completely out of control. 2. A coach has lost all respect (including that of his team) and is falling apart.

I haven’t seen much in between. Not a good sign last night

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Eric Curry is about to be the ire of the people in the UofA athletic department. With him, there is an Ed Rush-type feeling around the program

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Eric Curry is about to be the ire of the people in the UofA athletic department. With him, there is an Ed Rush-type feeling around the program

They makes it about themselves. Drives me crazy. They should get rid of all of the refs and start training the new ones differently. Move the P12 headquarters into some foreclosed building and used the saved rent to make refs full time during b-ball season.

Or we go to the Big 12.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get thrown out of a game is rare. It is due to one of two reasons: 1. A dominant head coach who has the program completely under control is trying to send a message in a game that he has already won or lost when officials are completely out of control. 2. A coach has lost all respect (including that of his team) and is falling apart.

I haven’t seen much in between. Not a good sign last night

On the ejection the ref tossed him and you can see Miller say "good" and just walk towards the tunnel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson