Interesting trade scenario.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's say Tampa Bay really covets a certain player (insert name) & we're dead set on any of the top 3 WR's. We know 1 of the 3 (Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs) will be available at #14. Tampa offers to trade the #14 to us for #8, plus we throw in DJ straight up. If any of you were the GM, would you do it? We would still get a top WR & clear the entire contract of his from the books. I think we would still have to pay his 6 million signing bonus though in 2020? This trade would need to be made before FA starts though, we could use the money saved from DJ & sign a couple FA's. Tampa has around 85 million in cap space so they could afford it. Our pick at #14 in this scenario doesn't have to be a WR, it could be whoever we really want & feel secure about being there. Maybe this sounds crazy but the idea came to me today thinking about the FA period getting close.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
So in your proposal we will trade number eight and DJ for number 14 and Drake basically. And save money to boot.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nope. They would have to sweeten the pot. Removing DJ’s salary isn’t worth 6 slots in the first round, particularly not into the top 10.
Not even if we pretty much know the guy we covet would still be there at #14? If they take on his contract, I highly doubt they would throw in a 2nd.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So in your proposal we will trade number eight and DJ for number 14 and Drake basically. And save money to boot.
Not even involving Drake. Not sure if you're factoring in the salary Drake will ask for against what we would save with DJ's contract though?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Just figuring if we got rid of DJ and his salary one of the reasons would be so we could sign Drake. So that would be part of the equation in getting rid of DJ and his cap hit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much more money this would give the Cardinals to spend in free agency?

On the surface I'd think about it very hard if it freed enough money to add a significant player. Maybe get a later pick thrown in.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not in the business (as a fan) of helping other teams out to my own squad's detriment. While I know it would help us, this mess is Keim and company's to clean up, and it needs to be done with making us better in mind for the long term no matter the move. It makes sense tbh, but I'd feel like we got ripped off somehow ultimately.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of mocks that I have no clue if they’re good ones or not, but Ruggs, Kinlaw, Epenisa, Wirfs, Beckton, Thomas, and evening Lamb & Jeudy on some mocks say could be there. Maybe get a 3rd. rounder too?

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone know how much more money this would give the Cardinals to spend in free agency?

On the surface I'd think about it very hard if it freed enough money to add a significant player. Maybe get a later pick thrown in.
It might even out actually? If he plays he makes 16.5 & if he's cut he still makes 14.5. We're on the hook for his signing bonus in 2020 (6 million because SK backloaded it) his contract money is actually 10.5 in 2020. So..........we pay the 6 million but Tampa Bay takes the 10.5. We save 10.5 million this season. KD asks for 6 million. That would leave 4.5 million if I did the math right? 4.5 million would allow us one 2nd tier FA maybe but DJ's contract is no longer a concern.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not even if we pretty much know the guy we covet would still be there at #14? If they take on his contract, I highly doubt they would throw in a 2nd.

On the draft value chart, number 8 is worth #14, and their 3rd & 4th rd picks.

Let's say we give DJ a 4th rd value: Would they/we do it for the first round flip and a 3rd?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might even out actually? If he plays he makes 16.5 & if he's cut he still makes 14.5. We're on the hook for his signing bonus in 2020 (6 million because SK backloaded it) his contract money is actually 10.5 in 2020. So..........we pay the 6 million but Tampa Bay takes the 10.5. We save 10.5 million this season. KD asks for 6 million. That would leave 4.5 million if I did the math right? 4.5 million would allow us one 2nd tier FA maybe but DJ's contract is no longer a concern.

If I look at it as freeing enough money to sign Drake and add a third round pick as @imaCafan or something like @GuernseyCard suggests, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the draft value chart, number 8 is worth #14, and their 3rd & 4th rd picks.

Let's say we give DJ a 4th rd value: Would they/we do it for the first round flip and a 3rd?
It's possible but I'm not a trade guru. Many more on this board are more in tune with that stuff than I am. I was talking about them just taking him straight up from us as a favor (cap clearing move) in order to let them move up.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of mocks that I have no clue if they’re good ones or not, but Ruggs, Kinlaw, Epenisa, Wirfs, Beckton, Thomas, and evening Lamb & Jeudy on some mocks say could be there. Maybe get a 3rd. rounder too?
That would be sweet.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's possible but I'm not a trade guru. Many more on this board are more in tune with that stuff than I am. I was talking about them just taking him straight up from us as a favor (cap clearing move) in order to let them move up.

You have to consider the possible short term gain, long term pain of moving out of the top 10.

What if we passed on Simmons and he put on a bit of weight and became the second coming of Brian Urlacher?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Brown turns out to be Chris Jones or Donald.

it’s going to be very hard to pass on a guy like Brown that fills such a glaring need and could actually play anywhere across the d line.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You have to consider the possible short term gain, long term pain of moving out of the top 10.

What if we passed on Simmons and he put on a bit of weight and became the second coming of Brian Urlacher?
It's a gamble on any player. SK took a gamble on RK in 2015 & he could've had Chris Jones. Now we have no shot at signing Chris Jones, the Chiefs are gonna franchise tag him. RK seemed like a steal back then but the gamble didn't pan out. Simmons could end up being like Urlacher or Bosworth? You just never know. Playing OLB at his weight would be better imo. Even MLB's have to be faster in the NFL now.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Or Brown turns out to be Chris Jones or Donald.

it’s going to be very hard to pass on a guy like Brown that fills such a glaring need and could actually play anywhere across the d line.
Oh trust me, I want Derrick Brown badly. Just heard his interview on NFL network. He sounds very mature & said he will do everything at the combine. No way he makes it to us at #8.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we could get Brown or Simmons, that would be the pick. Has to be. Our starting defense was chewed to bits last year, and both those guys are game changers.
If the worst case scenario happens, and the 3 QB's, Young, Okudah, Simmons, and Brown are all gone, then just pick a WR and call it a day.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
#8 + DJ + PP21 for Mike Evans and #14

DJ isn't working here. PP21 is walking after this year for nothing.

Mike Evans is EXACTLY what we need on offense. At #14 we might get Kinlaw, Epenesa, or Wirfs

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Let's say Tampa Bay really covets a certain player (insert name) & we're dead set on any of the top 3 WR's. We know 1 of the 3 (Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs) will be available at #14. Tampa offers to trade the #14 to us for #8, plus we throw in DJ straight up. If any of you were the GM, would you do it? We would still get a top WR & clear the entire contract of his from the books. I think we would still have to pay his 6 million signing bonus though in 2020? This trade would need to be made before FA starts though, we could use the money saved from DJ & sign a couple FA's. Tampa has around 85 million in cap space so they could afford it. Our pick at #14 in this scenario doesn't have to be a WR, it could be whoever we really want & feel secure about being there. Maybe this sounds crazy but the idea came to me today thinking about the FA period getting close.
This is an interesting idea. Dump his salary, then we can definitely keep Drake, and pick up an impact player. I would try to snag a 3rd or 4th from them too. He fits BA’s offense.

The alternative as I see it is we have to keep DJ, we lose Drake and are stuck with no RB.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How should that work.

first of, we would need to trade him now, second we would have only 4 mio more, and I'm not even sure on that one, since we are on the hook for all the bonus that he gets from my understanding if traded. So basically another 2.1 mio Dollar.

But nevertheless, trading him now would be bad IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose