David Johnson left for dead

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
don’t you do it Cardinals fans!! I think he might surprise us this year.

Drake and a resurgent DJ might combine to be the best 1-2 combo in the NFL next year

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My top 3 most frustrating cards players ever:

1. D Wash
2. Honey Badger
3. David Johnson

There’s nothing more frustrating than players who flash greatness but don’t sustain it...DJ has all the physical tools to succeed in this league, we’ve seen it...My only explanation is there must be a psychological issue that has led to his decline in play...We’ve all speculated on what that could be:

A) He got paid and is no longer motivated
B) He doesn’t trust his body to stay healthy therefore he doesn’t run like he previously did
C) As a husband and father, maybe he’s thinking about his long term future and is making business decisions.

All that to say as much as I’d love to believe he’ll come out with the biggest chip on his shoulder and he the DJ of ‘16...There’s zero evidence to believe it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's here, I hope he produces. I do think his has ability if used to his strengths and a backfield of Drake, Murray and DJ is scary for defenses.

But, I have no expectations

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
If he's here, I hope he produces. I do think his has ability if used to his strengths and a backfield of Drake, Murray and DJ is scary for defenses.

But, I have no expectations

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Exactly. I expect him to get paid a fortune to contribute nothing. If he adds anything to the team in terms of weaponry, I will be pleasantly surprised. Not a good situation for the franchise

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He done. Lol. I think his only saving grace will be to hone his craft as a h back on special downs and situations. His hands are still an asset imo

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's been said that he didn't pick up the offense, slow learner so to speak. Kind of funny that KD picked it up right from day 1. I hope we can make a trade happen by paying a portion of his salary. Not too big of a portion otherwise we may as well just keep him for emergency purposes. Highly unlikely a team will be willing to trade for him though but stranger things have happened. Worst case scenario, we keep him & get 4-5 TD receptions out of him, then cut him in 2021 with an easier cap hit. Hopefully SK learned something with his contract? Stop backloading money, get all the guaranteed money paid up front during the first 2 seasons. This will make it easier to release players for a little of nothing after not performing the first 2 yrs. Then again, hopefully he stops signing & drafting players that don't work out? Then again, I'm talking about SK so all bets are off lol.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lol. David Johnson has been garbage for two straight seasons — and the season before he was the guy we’ve seen the last two seasons, but for just 3 quarters.

he’s been embarrassing longer than he was good at this point. Time to turn the page.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the problems with DJ was that he was always an older back and he was only ever going to get a 2nd contract, a 3rd is unlikely for most backs.

Once he got that G money well, he was getting paid whether he played all out or played safe.

The only hope of him playing well this year is ego. What happened with Drake would be a kick in the ego for anyone, I actually think that's the main reason the brought Drake in. A 6th they likely don't need to show DJ he isn't the only game in town.

There are two hopes for DJ this year.

1) The ego thing as explained above
2) The 2nd year with the playbook

I get the distinct impression DJ doesn't have much between his ears when it comes to learning plays. He has only been great in his 2nd year with BA's playbook. He struggled with year 1 McCoy and year 1 Kliff.

If he decides to stop phoning it in and gets the playbook down there is a chance.

I'm not sure they will sign Drake. I think they might wait to see DJ at camp and if it's not there see what they have in Edmonds or pick up someone late. There will be a bunch of cap and draft casualties at RB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Disappointing for sure, but 1386 yards and 10 TDs in 2018's execrable offense, being run repeatedly into the middle of the line, was hardly "embarrassing".

...dbs
41st in YPA is embarrassing at that salary. No one could say he was effective that year.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I get the distinct impression DJ doesn't have much between his ears when it comes to learning plays. He has only been great in his 2nd year with BA's playbook. He struggled with year 1 McCoy and year 1 Kliff.

If he decides to stop phoning it in and gets the playbook down there is a chance.

I'm not sure they will sign Drake. I think they might wait to see DJ at camp and if it's not there see what they have in Edmonds or pick up someone late. There will be a bunch of cap and draft casualties at RB.

Think back to his first year- he had limited touches the first 10 games, but scored on many of those limited touches. He was only thrust into action after CJ broke his leg. Everyone was shouting for BA to use him more, but if CJ wasn’t hurt, BA would have just given him spot duties all season long. I think there is probably some credence to what your saying in that area.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s has never been explosive. He glides into a hole, jump cuts and then it takes him two strides or so to get up to speed.
If he’s not going to us power to run then I would ask him to drop about 10 lbs and perhaps improve his quickness.

He is not completely useless but as it stands right now we’re looking at about 10 snaps in a specialty role or mop up service.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lol. David Johnson has been garbage for two straight seasons — and the season before he was the guy we’ve seen the last two seasons, but for just 3 quarters.

he’s been embarrassing longer than he was good at this point. Time to turn the page.
#Truth

That game in Philly when DJ went off and the Badger tore his ACL happened in December of 2015. He's toast.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
And we'll also bring back D'wash and trade Larry to the Vikings......wait... this is just a continuation of those other threads right?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Disappointing for sure, but 1386 yards and 10 TDs in 2018's execrable offense, being run repeatedly into the middle of the line, was hardly "embarrassing".

...dbs

Putting counting stats with no context in doesn't really build an argument. In a vaccuum, being 17th in Scrimmage Yards in 2018 looks okay, especially considering he's 8th among RBs. Then look at the efficiency of that season. 42nd in rushing efficiency. 50th in receiving efficiency.

Hard to support the idea that David Johnson is Actually Good when his -11% rushing DVOA would have ranked in the 40s again had he qualified. His receiving DVOA was better, but firmly in a lower echelon than the true dual-threat RBs last season — Christian McCaffrey and Austin Ekeler.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Not gonna happen.

He done

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
41st in YPA is embarrassing at that salary. No one could say he was effective that year.
I hear ya, and i'm not saying he looked as good as in 2016, but i also remember Wilkes / McCoy / Leftwich running Johnson into the middle of the line vs. a stacked defense over, and over, and over... and targeting him in the passing game about 1/3 less often than in 2016, without anywhere near the same creativity in play calling (seemed like mostly just dump-offs on failed passing plays, not so much designed plays to get Johnson open in space).

...dbs

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

...dbs
The eye in the sky don't lie.

Watch the tape from last year.....THAT is embarrassing.

It is what it is, he has lost his passion for the game, and is running to not get hurt and get paid.

I cannot blame the man for making his money snd doing what he wants after, but as a fan I can call him an embarrassment because that is what he put out there.

He has been the equivalent of a 3rd string running back more than he has been a superstar.

And I was a HUGE David Johnson fan, and want him to be good, really badly, but its almost like he feels challenged to show how poorly he can play.

Cause he seems to be regressing at a very fast rate.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy