Free Agency 2020

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned how the Suns might be best looking for a combo guard to pair with Javon Carter this summer and surely there would be one available, even in this shallow free agent class. I think I forgot just how shallow this class will be.

I saw this piece from Forbes, who usually has decent NBA coverage, and it was created after the All-Star break. They list just 6 PG's that will be free agents this summer because I think these are the only 6 you could write a one paragraph blurb on. Other than VanVleet, I wouldn't be in favor of signing any of them for more than a 1 year rental and even for 1 season I wouldn't pay more than the MLE. Their #2-5 are all on the wrong side of 30, Conley will be 32, Dragic 34, Teague 32, and Reggie Jackson at 30. Their #6 is Kris Dunn, who has proved next to nothing after being in the league 4 years already and having a ton of opportunity in Chicago. I think the only reason Dunn won't wash out of the league is because of how putrid the PG class is this year in free agency.

Scrolling down to their "best of the rest" part is where I saw the real kicker, and why I decided to share it here, Javon Carter is listed 4th amongst "other" available PG options. It doesn't say they're listed in any particular order but it's not alphabetical and looking at the other names listed there, I think listing in order of skill seems likely.

I hope the Suns can find an option in the trade market because I don't have much hope for the draft either. I do think trading our pick for a backup PG is probably the best way to receive a decent player in return. I guess we'll see.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...from-fred-vanvleet-to-kris-dunn/#29e6df067604

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mentioned how the Suns might be best looking for a combo guard to pair with Javon Carter this summer and surely there would be one available, even in this shallow free agent class. I think I forgot just how shallow this class will be.

I saw this piece from Forbes, who usually has decent NBA coverage, and it was created after the All-Star break. They list just 6 PG's that will be free agents this summer because I think these are the only 6 you could write a one paragraph blurb on. Other than VanVleet, I wouldn't be in favor of signing any of them for more than a 1 year rental and even for 1 season I wouldn't pay more than the MLE. Their #2-5 are all on the wrong side of 30, Conley will be 32, Dragic 34, Teague 32, and Reggie Jackson at 30. Their #6 is Kris Dunn, who has proved next to nothing after being in the league 4 years already and having a ton of opportunity in Chicago. I think the only reason Dunn won't wash out of the league is because of how putrid the PG class is this year in free agency.

Scrolling down to their "best of the rest" part is where I saw the real kicker, and why I decided to share it here, Javon Carter is listed 4th amongst "other" available PG options. It doesn't say they're listed in any particular order but it's not alphabetical and looking at the other names listed there, I think listing in order of skill seems likely.

I hope the Suns can find an option in the trade market because I don't have much hope for the draft either. I do think trading our pick for a backup PG is probably the best way to receive a decent player in return. I guess we'll see.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...from-fred-vanvleet-to-kris-dunn/#29e6df067604
Draft Ball or Haliburton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft Ball or Haliburton.

Haliburton could be an option. I don't see Ball being realistic though. He'll likely go top 3 and the Suns will need some serious luck to get a top pick to take him. That would be the Suns luck though, getting a top pick in a year where there isn't a top player to take.

I'd be more interested in seeing what a top 3 pick could bring back in a trade over selecting Ball though. His shooting is atrocious and he's more of a scorer than Lonzo so he'll be shooting it a good amount. I'd prefer Rubio to Ball based on their shooting alone. I don't think he'll fix his shot at the NBA level either. He's played professionally for the last 2 years already and his shot hasn't changed for the better. Lonzo's shot hasn't really changed either. If it were possible to coach that out of them then I think it would have happened already.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, according to Spotrac, it looks like the Suns can clear about $27 million in cap space for the summer, but in doing so they would have to.

Opt out of Kaminsky and Diallo. No problem if it means signing a better rotation player.
Decline Tariq and Harper. Of course, no brainer.
Decline Saric, Baynes, and Carter. Uh. Not sure here. I would love to have these three back. Saric's option will be $10.4 million. That's a little high, IMO. Baynes cap hold will be $10.3 million, again a tad high. Carter's cap hold will be $1.9 million. That would be a bargain and hopefully we could sign him for that.

Looks to me like we have to improve this team through trades or the draft rather than free agency--unless AD decides he wants to move or something totally crazy like that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2020/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, according to Spotrac, it looks like the Suns can clear about $27 million in cap space for the summer, but in doing so they would have to.

Opt out of Kaminsky and Diallo. No problem if it means signing a better rotation player.
Decline Saric, Baynes, and Carter. Uh. Not sure here. I would love to have these three back. Saric's option will be $10.4 million. That's a little high, IMO. Baynes cap hold will be $10.3 million, again a tad high. Carter's cap hold will be $1.9 million. That would be a bargain and hopefully we could sign him for that.

Looks to me like we have to improve this team through trades or the draft rather than free agency--unless AD decides he wants to move or something totally crazy like that.

Cap holds don’t matter until you actually start signing people. You don’t need to preemptively renounce rights.

Also, Saric doesn’t have a contact next year. His qualifying offer for us to keep his rights is 5 mil, that too can be withdrawn... unless he signs it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The $10.4 for Saric is his cap hold but not his salary. If he were to take the qualifying offer then we'd be on the hook for $5.08 million, which isn't bad. The cap hold is in place until he signs an offer sheet or the qualifying offer.

Same goes for Carter but his number is so low that they really need to bring him back. $2 million for what he brings is more than fair even if he's just a pitbull on defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The $10.4 for Saric is his cap hold but not his salary. If he were to take the qualifying offer then we'd be on the hook for $5.08 million, which isn't bad. The cap hold is in place until he signs an offer sheet or the qualifying offer.

Same goes for Carter but his number is so low that they really need to bring him back. $2 million for what he brings is more than fair even if he's just a pitbull on defense.
Saric will be interesting. He is better than some on this board give credit. He has shown more than "next to nothing". I imagine he will get an offer that is more than the QO. We ought to do something better than the QO in resigning him since the QO has such odd matching/trade restrictions tied to it. The question is how much.

He could be a candidate for a sign and trade if we find an opportunity in the FA or trade market. I haven't kept up with the rules on that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Saric will be interesting. He is better than some on this board give credit. He has shown more than "next to nothing". I imagine he will get an offer that is more than the QO. We ought to do something better than the QO in resigning him since the QO has such odd matching/trade restrictions tied to it. The question is how much.

He could be a candidate for a sign and trade if we find an opportunity in the FA or trade market. I haven't kept up with the rules on that.

More than 'next to nothing'. Now, there's a goal. :(

Unfortunately, the Front Office appears to think the same way. And
why would any other team want that?

It's why I have tickets to two D-backs spring training games (including
one of the final two -- at Chase Field) and, when they are on TV and in
conflict with the Suns, I'll be watching the D-backs.

They have a GM who knows how to put a roster together. And a
Managing Partner who has learned how to not hog the spotlight.

More than 'next to nothing'. Horsefeathers!

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think this board has finally lost its mind. Did you see that one handed pat pass to Oubre last night.,

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More than 'next to nothing'. Now, there's a goal. :(

Unfortunately, the Front Office appears to think the same way. And
why would any other team want that?

It's why I have tickets to two D-backs spring training games (including
one of the final two -- at Chase Field) and, when they are on TV and in
conflict with the Suns, I'll be watching the D-backs.

They have a GM who knows how to put a roster together. And a
Managing Partner who has learned how to not hog the spotlight.

More than 'next to nothing'. Horsefeathers!
I was referring to asuchris’s post earlier. BC posts like this are nearly insulting. Take a comment completely out of context and then mock it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It probably doesn't mean a lot but I was reading an article by Gina Mizell at The Athletic. She said Monty gave spontaneous praise to DJ Augustin as a prototype backup point guard. He also praised Ish Smith and Fred VanVleet as well.

Augustin and VanVleet will be free agents. It's hard to see the latter leaving Toronto.

https://theathletic.com/1636075/202...y-in-demand-at-backup-guard/?source=twittered
I think any of those three would be good back up pg's. It would be good to add a vet presence to the roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think any of those three would be good back up pg's. It would be good to add a vet presence to the roster.

Augustin is probably the most likely player of the bunch. Can't see the Suns trading for Ish as he is under contract for another season. Signing VanVleet would be a dream scenario.

If the Suns went this route it would probably be Rubio, Augustin, Carter and Jerome. Of course the Suns could draft a point guard as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Augustin is probably the most likely player of the bunch. Can't see the Suns trading for Ish as he is under contract for another season. Signing VanVleet would be a dream scenario.

If the Suns went this route it would probably be Rubio, Augustin, Carter and Jerome. Of course the Suns could draft a point guard as well.
Detroit is in total rebuild tank mode and Ish is 31. I think that they would gladly move Ish for almost anything (second round pick, younger player like Okobo?). VanVleet is only going to leave for a starting position. I see him staying in Toronto.

So yes, Augustin is the most likely, but Ish is possible too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit is in total rebuild tank mode and Ish is 31. I think that they would gladly move Ish for almost anything (second round pick, younger player like Okobo?). VanVleet is only going to leave for a starting position. I see him staying in Toronto.

So yes, Augustin is the most likely, but Ish is possible too.

Ish was always a fan favorite. I certainly like him. Maybe the Suns could trade a heavily protected second round pick for him that never comes to fruition. Either Augustin or Ish would be fine with me. Ish does have a $6 million contract for next season. I believe it's guaranteed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ish was always a fan favorite. I certainly like him. Maybe the Suns could trade a heavily protected second round pick for him that never comes to fruition. Either Augustin or Ish would be fine with me. Ish does have a $6 million contract for next season. I believe it's guaranteed.
Oops. I guess he is on the Wizards roster now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was referring to asuchris’s post earlier. BC posts like this are nearly insulting. Take a comment completely out of context and then mock it.

ASUCHRIS posted that Saric has shown next to nothing.

You responded . . . He is better than some on this board give credit. He has shown more than "next to nothing".

How was my post out of context? Your response was not a positive, but a not-as-negative.

I still hope for the Suns to become a positive team (Step 1 - over .500) than a continued negative (under .500
and another decade out of the playoffs).

Nothing to be nearly insulted about. Quoting a post and giving a different point of view.

I hope to see the Suns raise their standards of accomplishment. More than next-to-nothing is not good enough!

I believe that my only personal comment to you has been your constantly supporting the Suns status quo when
it is clear that the status quo has been disappointing. Not just what they've done, but how they've done it.

Because of Saric's inconsistency and lack of strength alongside Ayton's finesse play at Center (which is just now
beginning to show some signs of improvement with Saric out of the starting lineup), Saric is a weakness to the
team as a starter. His one productive game out of every 5 or 6 does not change that.

If you wish to, please tell us what part of that you disagree with and why.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS posted that Saric has shown next to nothing.

You responded . . . He is better than some on this board give credit. He has shown more than "next to nothing".

How was my post out of context? Your response was not a positive, but a not-as-negative.

I still hope for the Suns to become a positive team (Step 1 - over .500) than a continued negative (under .500
and another decade out of the playoffs).

Nothing to be nearly insulted about. Quoting a post and giving a different point of view.

I hope to see the Suns raise their standards of accomplishment. More than next-to-nothing is not good enough!

I believe that my only personal comment to you has been your constantly supporting the Suns status quo when
it is clear that the status quo has been disappointing. Not just what they've done, but how they've done it.

Because of Saric's inconsistency and lack of strength alongside Ayton's finesse play at Center (which is just now
beginning to show some signs of improvement with Saric out of the starting lineup), Saric is a weakness to the
team as a starter. His one productive game out of every 5 or 6 does not change that.

If you wish to, please tell us what part of that you disagree with and why.
NO! My post was saying ASUChris was wrong. I have really had enough of you. Ignore.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Ok pal - we'll see what happens with Saric in the offseason. I can pretty much guarantee he'll walk for free, but hey, dreaming is free! You can continue banging the drum that our bad players are only sorta bad if that makes you feel better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a possibility free agency in 2020 may occur before the draft. I think this would be great news for the Suns because they can see who they can acquire in free agency before the draft.

I haven't heard anything about when trades might happen. Most summer trades occur around draft day.

This is from Sports Illustrated:

In fact, this year, free agency may actually take place prior to the draft -- which is the opposite of how it always goes.

According to Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer, those topics will be the items discussed during a Friday conference call between commissioner Adam Silver and the board of governors.

"Several league sources said the 2020 draft is expected to be pushed back from June 25 to September," Pompey wrote. "Two of the sources also said the board of governors would also discuss whether the upcoming free-agency period should be moved ahead of the draft. Free agency for the 2020-21 season will be moved from the scheduled start of 6 p.m. June 30."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The decisions and/or announcements on free agency and the draft will come after the end-date for the NBA Finals is determined," Pompey reported. "The draft will be five to seven days after the Finals, a source said."

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba-amico/free-agency-draft-basketball

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As suspected, Jerami Grant will likely decline his $9.3 million player option with the Nuggets and enter free agency.

“I’m definitely not leaning towards picking up the player option," said Grant to Chris Haynes. "Like you said, I feel like I definitely outplayed the $9 million that I’m making each year right now. But at the same time… I’d love to come to a conclusion or something like that with Denver, it just depends what we discuss and negotiate when the time comes.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...ine-$93M-Player-Option-For-20-21-With-Nuggets

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave