The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For a minute I thought they were reuniting the Morrii but Marcus went to the Clippers at the deadline. Could make for an interesting matchup in the postseason if the 2 teams do meet there.

I'm a bit surprised that Marcus has clearly taken the title of better Morris brother and has held that for about 3 years now. Marcus was a player mentioned as a top rental for playoff teams in most trade deadline articles and the Clippers managed to get him. Even before this season, Marcus had a few suitors that wanted to pay him above the midlevel exception while Markieff barely hung on for the minimum in Detroit. I wonder if they still pool their paychecks now that Marcus is making roughly 5 times what Markieff is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a minute I thought they were reuniting the Morrii but Marcus went to the Clippers at the deadline. Could make for an interesting matchup in the postseason if the 2 teams do meet there.

I'm a bit surprised that Marcus has clearly taken the title of better Morris brother and has held that for about 3 years now. Marcus was a player mentioned as a top rental for playoff teams in most trade deadline articles and the Clippers managed to get him. Even before this season, Marcus had a few suitors that wanted to pay him above the midlevel exception while Markieff barely hung on for the minimum in Detroit. I wonder if they still pool their paychecks now that Marcus is making roughly 5 times what Markieff is.

I think he was generally considered to be the better player at Kansas too IIRC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors and Pelicans are on NBA tv(I'm watching the local broadcast in Bay Area). If you want to get an idea how big Zion actually is about the last 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter he and Eric Paschall were guarding each other. Paschall is built like an NFL LB, 6'6" 255, and he looks small next to Zion. Zion had a play where he missed a FT, got his own rebound, missed the putback against Looney, Damion Lee got the rebound, Zion just ripped the ball away from him(without fouling) went up and scored and drew the foul, and missed another FT.

Down the other end he went for a steal, didn't get it, and Paschall did a double pump dunk over Derrick Favors. I love Paschall, Wiggins so far has been better than expected by me I hope it continues but the guy more than anybody that gives me hope for next year is Paschall. Obviously getting Curry and Klay back, Dray healthy and either a good pick or a trade with the pick, but Paschall is legit. That kid is going to be a player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors and Pelicans are on NBA tv(I'm watching the local broadcast in Bay Area). If you want to get an idea how big Zion actually is about the last 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter he and Eric Paschall were guarding each other. Paschall is built like an NFL LB, 6'6" 255, and he looks small next to Zion. Zion had a play where he missed a FT, got his own rebound, missed the putback against Looney, Damion Lee got the rebound, Zion just ripped the ball away from him(without fouling) went up and scored and drew the foul, and missed another FT.

Down the other end he went for a steal, didn't get it, and Paschall did a double pump dunk over Derrick Favors. I love Paschall, Wiggins so far has been better than expected by me I hope it continues but the guy more than anybody that gives me hope for next year is Paschall. Obviously getting Curry and Klay back, Dray healthy and either a good pick or a trade with the pick, but Paschall is legit. That kid is going to be a player.

I'm impressed how the Warriors have reloaded even with the loss of Durant. They have some nice young players. What do you think of Bender?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think he was generally considered to be the better player at Kansas too IIRC.
He was considered the more talented. It was a surprise that Markieff was drafted a slot before Marcus and I think equally a surprise that he outperformed him early in their careers. But I think it’s obvious now that true talent won out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed how the Warriors have reloaded even with the loss of Durant. They have some nice young players. What do you think of Bender?

Just a temp signing IMO because of injuries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still worry about his weight and his body breaking down but he's absolutely a beast. He's just so big and athletic. They run plays where they bring everyone up above the FT line or higher, with Zion down low. He just walks his defender up toward the foul line, and as soon as the defender gets even remotely to the side(not between Zion and the rim), Zion spins, pins the defender and they lob it for a bucket, a foul or both. If the defender does stay between Zion and the rim, Zion turns, pins him, gets the post pass and scores.

They're using him the way teams used Shaq in his prime. he's not as big as Shaq was but he's so much quicker and athletic and he's so ridiculously strong. He's 6'6" but he can play against much bigger defenders because he's just so "wide." It surprised me in college how effective he was against bigger guys, but that he's still doing it in the NBA is remarkable. I really hope nobody sits anybody to rest against the Lakers I really want to see if the length and athleticism of Anthony Davis is enough to bother Zion or if just overpowers him inside too.

The next step for Zion is to make the FT's, if he does that look out.

Teams are going to exploit him on defense, right now he just hunts blocks and steals he doesn't really guard his man very well. In this game Paschall got by him another time, went up for what he thought was a dunk and Zion just came from behind and swatted it off the glass. It was a great play but it's a classic get beat and hope you can recover tactic that in the NBA isn't going to be nearly as easy to pull off as it was in college.

He's averaging just under 23 PPG right now in under 30 minutes. 7.2 RPG but that's misleading they are basically conceding rebounds to Favors and the guards(lonzo, Hart both over 6, Jrue just under 5) so that they can take advantage of Zion in transition.

There was a play last night where the Warriors were so worried about Zion in transition they gave Redick a wide open 3 that he buried, you just don't see NBA teams leave Redick that open but the Warriors did it several times because they were so concerned with Zion.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a temp signing IMO because of injuries.

with a lot of their money tied up in their top players, i think they're trying to find some cheap help that could work out for them for the next couple of years, searching for a diamond in the rough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with a lot of their money tied up in their top players, i think they're trying to find some cheap help that could work out for them for the next couple of years, searching for a diamond in the rough.

After the trade etc they had to fill roster spots. I actually think if it's possible they're going to have Spellman back next year. It sounds like he wants to be released, the Twolves sent him to the G League for now but if he's a FA this offseason and it works, I think they'll bring him back he was very popular on the team and he fits the roster he can shoot.

My understanding is they have to cut someone when Curry is activated and that will probably be Bender IMO. Toscano-Anderson is playing OK and he's local, and they like Smailagic so unless Bender really impresses them he's probably the odd man out.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
2m

ESPN Sources: Sixers star Ben Simmons is still undergoing treatment and evaluation on his back and there’s expected to be a course of action decided upon soon. This isn’t a day-to-day injury; Simmons will miss time. How much time? That’s still unclear.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps an opportunity for Tyler Johnson with Lamb out in Indiana.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My question isn’t about the refs letting it go but how hard is it to dribble one time?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Clarke of the Grizzlies will reportedly miss a couple of weeks with an injured right quad.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A creative way to commit charging to say the least.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They know Baynes is back, they don't want Curry anywhere near him.

The Suns Baynes effect. I like it. Also maybe they want Curry to return to action in a home game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose