News item

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For the record, Kobe's widow has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the helicopter company who owned the helicopter. Original reports said that Kobe owned the aircraft.

The article says the pilot had violated safety rules in the past and should not have continued in the heavy fog.

It reports that Kobe had flown with him multiple times, versus the original report that it was their first time flying together.

This is not to rehash it, but to update initial reports. It will be interesting to see how the helicopter company responds to the lawsuit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryan...uit-against-helicopter-company-180413798.html

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the record, Kobe's widow has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the helicopter company who owned the helicopter. Original reports said that Kobe owned the aircraft.

The article says the pilot had violated safety rules in the past and should not have continued in the heavy fog.

It reports that Kobe had flown with him multiple times, versus the original report that it was their first time flying together.

This is not to rehash it, but to update initial reports. It will be interesting to see how the helicopter company responds to the lawsuit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryan...uit-against-helicopter-company-180413798.html

I figured that was coming.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is ridiculous. The pilot who screwed up is dead - he is the one at fault, not the company.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think this is ridiculous. The pilot who screwed up is dead - he is the one at fault, not the company.

Except for this quote in the article. "The lawsuit also alleges that Kobe Bryant’s longtime pilot, Ara George Zobayan,
who died in the crash, was previously disciplined for violating visual flight rules in 2015."

In terms of a civil suit, even though a few years ago, past history of violating visual flight rules will come into play as
a reflection on the company.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some people were mentioning that this could be for insurance reasons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people were mentioning that this could be for insurance reasons.

That's entirely possible but I've seen it theorized that she did this to get ahead of any of the other victims suing her, or Kobe's estate, for wrongful death. Something about how it's unlikely another law firm or lawyer would take on a case to sue Kobe's estate until this particular case is finished. I can see how that makes sense. How could they determine Kobe's at fault when there is another case being made already by Kobe's family that is saying the helicopter company and pilot were to blame.

This is one of the ugliest part of death, all of the legal fighting over money. It won't bring anyone back or change what happened. I don't think the public needs to be updated on this though. It's already been said that the investigation would take upwards of 12 months so it'll be a while until anything official is released. Watching the families of those that lost their loved ones point the finger at others isn't entertainment, IMO. They should be given their privacy while this is going on. It doesn't help anyone for a bunch of fans to start pointing fingers and assigning blame to others for what happened.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s really pretty simple. If it was not mechanical error, it was pilot error. If Kobe did not employ the pilot or own the helicopter, I do not see how his estate could be at fault.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose