Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
When he's not suspended or injured.

Maybe the NBA should go to the MLB style of record keeping. By quantity, rather than average
in many cases.

2B, 3B, HR, RBI, runs scored. The last two of which directly relate to the most important stat
on the scoreboard. Which team finished the game with the most runs.

Also MLB stolen bases, pitchers' victories, saves, games started, games closed. And for both
hitters and pitchers. Strikeouts and bases on balls.

Whereas most NBA stats are per game. When available to play.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Maybe the NBA should go to the MLB style of record keeping. By quantity, rather than average
in many cases.

2B, 3B, HR, RBI, runs scored. The last two of which directly relate to the most important stat

Also MLB stolen bases, pitchers' victories, saves, games started, games closed. And for both

Or you could look at their games played stat? :shrug:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score

in many cases.

Statistics totals were actually what the league used for years to determine individual leaders. For instance, in 1967-68 Wilt Chamberlain was recognized as the league's assist champion with 702. Oscar Robertson averaged more (9.7) but played 17 fewer games than Chamberlain did (65 to 82). Robertson also averages more points a game (29.2) than the official leading scorer, Dave Bing (27.1)

Per game averages were adopted as the norm in 1969-70, perhaps as a delayed response to the results in 1968-69.

Career totals are where the compilers get their recognition.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[OC] Now that Deandre Ayton has played 25 games since being suspended, the Rubio/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton starting lineup has been the best offense in the NBA (+other Suns fun facts)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[OC] Now that Deandre Ayton has played 25 games since being suspended, the Rubio/Booker/Bridges/Oubre/Ayton starting lineup has been the best offense in the NBA (+other Suns fun facts)

My gosh it was painfully obvious that Bridges should have been starting after a while. Even to this day rotations are questionable.

Tyler Johnson, i really wished that worked out. I believe and still do, that he was the best guard coming off the bench. I'm sure he wasn't in our long term plans, but if he could have produced then hopefully be resigned at a cheaper contract then i would have been all for it. I just don't see why he was given the shaft before the season started. Even now, Carter is getting the worse end of it too by not being the first guard off the bench. Inconsistent minutes for anyone, especially reserves, doesn't help with chemistry or role expectations.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our bench has been horrible, but a lot of that has been due to injuries. Baynes, Kaminsky, Johnson, Saric all have been out forcing us to go even deeper on the bench. What is absolutely clear is that this team needs more defense and more consistent three point shooting. Ayton has huge gravity in the middle. Surrounding him with 3 and D players at every position has to be the best way to go. Baynes is fine as a back up C, as long as he is available. Diallo has been horrible.

We must add a pg this off season that is good enough to compete with Rubio for the starting position. We need to add a 3 and D starting level pf. Oubre needs to come off the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our bench has been horrible, but a lot of that has been due to injuries. Baynes, Kaminsky, Johnson, Saric all have been out forcing us to go even deeper on the bench. What is absolutely clear is that this team needs more defense and more consistent three point shooting. Ayton has huge gravity in the middle. Surrounding him with 3 and D players at every position has to be the best way to go. Baynes is fine as a back up C, as long as he is available. Diallo has been horrible.

We must add a pg this off season that is good enough to compete with Rubio for the starting position. We need to add a 3 and D starting level pf. Oubre needs to come off the bench.

If Oubre is moved to the bench I think the Suns can kiss him goodbye. He is a starter. Suns need to add to the team rather than take away.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thx JC. Very interesting and pretty incredible numbers.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The reality is, if Ayton hadn't gotten himself suspended, we would probably be talking about a whole different Suns season than what we have now.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

All good, but they really need to grow as a team on that other end! They have their spurts, but Chicago ( Coby White) really torched us which can't happen. Our switching back and forth needs to be better and helping out more consistent. Tired of seeing the bigs isolated up top. Switching needs to happen sooner by the guards and forwards!

Treat EVERY game like it's a playoff game from here on.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bolden didn't get much of a look with the Suns. I'm hoping they are exploring other options with a roster spot available.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have signed Bender - they are going to regret it.

The Suns should take advantage of the open roster spot and bring in someone that has a chance to stick for next season. I think Bender was one of those players but there are others.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is in LA at Kobe's memorial -- my guess is he's going to hop over to SLC this afternoon.

I watched a little of it on Spectrum News and that was quite a collection of celebrities. And yes, Booker was one of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to give credit to Ayton for upping his block numbers and his rim protection in general. It's been a bit up and down this year but it's up more than down.

He needs to start being more aggressive inside on offense. I thought we'd see that much sooner than him become an average or better rim protector.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose