Coast to Coast 7 round Cardinals mock

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why don't you think Simmons can play ILB opposite Hicks?

Only if you want to make a big gamble and do exactly what every Cards fan as slated Keim for doing with Reddick and Buc.

Simmons is a SS / Will/Sam backer / slot DB. I think he fits a 4-3 scheme best where he can rush from outside backer and cover TEs.

He may turn out to be a good inside linebacker with some work but I don't think you can draft him as that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Warming up to Becton’s upside and ability to play both sides. I kinda feel like he’ll always struggle with his weight though. I’d rather have the guy who trying to work it up rather than keep it down... Once they get in a room with him they might get a better idea how committed he is to his body not just when he’s trying to be a high pick.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You grumbled about this mock not filling the need at LB but then highlight that 2 of those guys are not worth 8 and will be gone by 40. The other isn't a starting ILB and Simmons has 74 snaps at LB.

I don't see where you think a starting LB is an option.
Reddick was nowhere near in terms of being ready playing lb in 3/4 as Simmons is right now
Reddick was demoted from playing inside even in college, he thought about quitting football, then he found a new role as pass rusher
Reddick had just a nice week at senior bowl and with his combine number he went overdrafted
Reddick and Simmons don't have any anything in common
Simmons has length, covering skills, better instict, and I don't think he is a gamble at 8, moreover I think he is the less risky pick

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Only if you want to make a big gamble and do exactly what every Cards fan as slated Keim for doing with Reddick and Buc.

Simmons is a SS / Will/Sam backer / slot DB. I think he fits a 4-3 scheme best where he can rush from outside backer and cover TEs.

He may turn out to be a good inside linebacker with some work but I don't think you can draft him as that.

Not disagreeing with you on what he is best suited to play in the NFL. I would say that the difference is Reddick only played DE and Bucannon was a safety. Simmons has played everywhere...the question for me would be how did he grade out at ILB/does he have the instincts.

I wouldn't draft Simmons at #8 unless he was a sure fire LB in the NFL (based on actual experience in college).

No more blind projections/position changes.

He spent 253 of 635 eligible snaps (40 percent) as a slot cornerback. He also spent 166 snaps at safety (26.1 percent), 132 snaps at outside linebacker (20.1 percent), 72 snaps at inside linebacker (11.3 percent) and 12 snaps as a boundary cornerback (1.9 percent).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is the problem with so many fans. They want go faster stripes and trick suspension while the engine is falling apart.
While I agree with you, this makes me chuckle given the argument we're having about Stefon Diggs in another thread.

I'm not saying rookies should not be expected to perform. Especially top 40 picks.

But from a roster management perspective no good GM would be drafting to fit immediate needs. That why Ruiz to replace Sweezy makes sense for next year.

The fact Keim NEEDS rookies to come in and fill holes right away shows why he sucks so much. His roster planning sucks ass.

I would argue the opposite. If you're drafting with two picks in the top 40 (unless you're a playoff team), you'd better be drafting guys to start right away. They might need some time to grow still, but they'd better be starters.